Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There A Neutral Religion Exist?

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Is There A Neutral Religion Exist?

Is there a neutral religion exist anywhere on this planet? You know a religion that balances good and evil.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: Is There A Neutral Religion Exist?

Grey witchcraft may fall into this category. Shamanism and Buddhism may as well.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Atheism and Agnosticism are pretty neutral.

Mar 2012
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism
    Phrase
    Strength in Will, peace in well-being.

Luciferianism tends to lean towards that.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

This very much depends on how you define good and evil. There's no real, popular, religion which would purposely do evil. However, there have been many with different ideas of what constitutes virtuous action. The question itself is eurocentric and cannot easily apply to non-western religious theory. Many faiths simply do not use the same moral code, either due to a different set of values, or that such a binary structure is antithetical to how morality is viewed in that group. Using the above example, Buddhism does little to concern itself with evil, it does however concern itself with compassion and the removal of vice. As a result Buddhists engage in what would be considered good activity even though their religious moral system isn't especially comparable to our system of western morality. The concept of karma underlies many of the dharmic religions and it is not a simple system of binary morality, moreso it is the universal application of cause and effect to morality which does not cast judgement, so much as compare something's degree of deviation from the point of cosmic order. It is entirely foreign to the western system. Does that make it neutral? I would caution against comparing apples to oranges, as it were. Cultural relativism is key.

There's certainly a number of religions that seek a balance of sorts, but this is not a question of morality. People and societies as a whole wish to be good and to do good. Evil in it's original meaning is abhorrence and harm, to both the doer and those receiving it. To use another example from above, Satanist based philosophies reject the Abrahamic system of morality believing it is an oppressive and self-sacrificing system which serves to empower and preserve the status quo and quash individualism. It is inherently countercultural, however this isn't to say that it has no moral system only that the use of it's moral imperative should be contextualized based on time and purpose. It's conception of what constitutes virtuous behavior is individual based instead of institutional. As a result, a Satanist may be morally justified in culture to engage in selfish actions which would be considered sinful in the more common Christian morality. In whatever case though, the general idea is not to be "balanced" or actively do evil but, to seek the appropriate personal good.

None of this is to say that evil has no place in these religions, or that evil cannot serve to underlay a system of religious moral principle. On the contrary, there are those who have noted evil must be contextualized in any faith. The conclusion many groups come to is that evil exists in the world, though on occasion many disagree on what exact forms it may take, and that people do sometimes do evil. It is necessary that a religion accommodate for this, to explain or place it within a point of cosmic order. In the case of some religions it is a point of "why do bad things happen?" in others it's a point of "bad things happen, but where and when is it societally or cosmically permissible?" in either case a person must also determine in what manner they interact with it. The most important subject is that no religion as a whole will advocate that people willingly engage in what it morally would consider evil. There are those which believe evil is inevitably perpetrated by humans and seek to produce an outlet for it in their system of order, however it is never the goal to simply do evil, rather it is a human element to overcome, or an inevitable human element to be restricted to a socially permissible state.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Honestly, any religion could be considered grey since the definition of good and evil are subjective and not definite.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

I think that depends entirely on what good and evil are to you. The way I see it, the world isn't black and white, or good and evil, so that's really difficult to do. The first thing that came to mind for me was satanism
    though, but there are lots of religions that strive for some kind of healthy ballance. I don't think you'll find the neutral religion anywhere though. the concepts of good and evil are too subjective.

On a sidenote, does my text look green to anyone else or is my computer being weird? I didn't do anything different than usual.
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 16 Mar 2019 at 12:35.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    I think that depends entirely on what good and evil are to you. The way I see it, the world isn't black and white, or good and evil, so that's really difficult to do. The first thing that came to mind for me was satanism
    though, but there are lots of religions that strive for some kind of healthy ballance. I don't think you'll find the neutral religion anywhere though. the concepts of good and evil are too subjective.

On a sidenote, does my text look green to anyone else or is my computer being weird? I didn't do anything different than usual.
    Off topic but your text is looking green to me

- - - Updated - - -

I think you also have to separate the idea of religion and dogma within a religion or spiritual system. If you look at the religion or spiritual system the idea's of good or evil often tend to be balanced it's the dogma put in place to address those idea's where I see the balance goes out of whack myself.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post

You managed to acquire a variety of odd formmatting tags and color tags around half your text. I've negated most of them.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Oct 2010
    Religion
    anti...
    Phrase
    If, at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    Atheism and Agnosticism are pretty neutral.
    I get where you come from, but neither one is actually a religion, but descriptors regarding the devine, in the context of a faith (or non-faith).

I am an agnostic atheist (meaning that I do not believe, but do not believe that it can be proven)
    most Christians that I know are agnostic theists (meaning that they believe, but do not believe it can be proven)
    some are gnostic theist (not just talking about the Gnostics), and some are gnostic athiests.

additionally, many Buddhists are atheists.

atheism and agnosticism aren't religions.
    Last edited by ThorsSon; 17 Mar 2019 at 10:09.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"