Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is There A Neutral Religion Exist?

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
    From what I understand, truly following the Buddhist path is incredibly hard due to being incredibly boring in that it derives you of certain liberties, like having sex whenever you want, eating whatever you want, or partying and having a blast, or striving towards higher ambitions and goals. Buddhism seems to be a path of simply existing on Earth as peacefully as humanly possible haha. I admire and commend adherents of Buddhism for their commitments to their vows, but I also feel it's a bitof an extreme path; with ironically, not very much balance to it. I just personally wouldn't be able to be a part of something that's based on suppressing carnal desires.
    I don't think you understand the whole point of Buddhism. To understand what you are talking about, you may want to explore the Four Noble Truths. Haha.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      I don't think you understand the whole point of Buddhism. To understand what you are talking about, you may want to explore the Four Noble Truths. Haha.
      You're right, I probably don't; I've only looked into it briefly. Thanks for the tip; I'll look into the Four Noble Truths some other time; sounds too simple to not be a little more complicated than that though, haha. If I recall correctly, there's also multiple types of buddhism, too; I could have just been looking at one of the really stringent ones.
      Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019, 05:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
        Is there a neutral religion exist anywhere on this planet? You know a religion that balances good and evil.

I practice a bioregional witchcraft rooted in deep ecology, an agnostic/pantheistic concept of existence, and a polytheistic religious humanist ritual practice. Good and evil are human constructs, and as such, have whatever value we assign them.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

If we look at European Saxon/Norse faiths, once you get outside the cults of the nobility and warrior classes, faith becomes a lot more practical.
          Focus shifts to local wights and their ilk.
          Offerings and ceremonies to appease/gain favour with field wights and spirits. Rites to gain protection from house wights.
          Offerings to ancestors, rites to appease ancestors, rites to imbue offspring with parts of ancestral spirits/fate.

Lots to do with grudges and Vendettas.

Death rarely had a heaven/hell analogue, you lived on doing much the same as before. Just under-hill, or in the mists etc. It's one reason why burial gifts were given.

Without the moral pressure of " obey or go to hell" their faiths don't really fall into the" good/evil" dichotomy.
          Punishment and justice in the physical world was much more impacting.

Aside: one of the reasons why Christianity spread so well in the UK was because of the idea of heaven, and that baptism got you in there.as well as getting you divine aid in battles..
          There were recorded incidents where people refused baptism or switched back to their original faith, when they discovered that their ancestors could not go with them, or if conversion had no immediate benefit.
          Last edited by Optimistic discord; 01 Apr 2019, 11:08.

Comment

Working...
          X