Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So is this really blackface?

Mar 2012
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism
    Phrase
    Strength in Will, peace in well-being.

Re: So is this really blackface?

There is nothing nice I can say about people actively looking for excuses to "feel" offended in order to make a buzz or ride the PC/SJW hype train.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Gladiatorial combat was institutes by Julius Caesar as a way of entertaining the "mob" by watching soldiers defeated and captured in combat forced to fight against their fellows. Lots of laughs in that.
    You mean Fortnite?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

The myth of the "Wild West" is just that - a myth created by fiction writers. The history of those times tell a different story.
    Then I was referring to the myth haha.

Gladiatorial combat was institutes by Julius Caesar as a way of entertaining the "mob" by watching soldiers defeated and captured in combat forced to fight against their fellows. Lots of laughs in that.
    Indeed; bad example.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Gladiators were slaves, either as Corbyn says, because they were captured soldiers, but also criminals and even people who got themselves into debt! They really had no choice.
    I definitely could have used a better analogy.

And of course the problem with this theme is 'who is going to fight?' The person who complained and the editor of Wales Online?
    If both parties feel that strongly about it, I don't see why not. In some areas of the US, Mutual Combat is still a thing, it just has to be supervised by a police officer who acts as a referee while the two parties beat each other up. Merely proposing mutual combat could make one or both parties realize that maybe they can actually let it roll of their shoulders and respectfully agree to disagree without resorting to fisticuffs, (physically or verbally haha).

It doesn't seem a good way to deal with things. I don't believe fisticuffs is the way to settle things, although I do often feel that warmongers like Trump might be a little less enthusiastic if they had ever had to fight themselves (or send their sons for that matter.)
    Indeed; it's not the best way to deal with things, but sometimes it is the only way. 99% of the time, my philosophy is to either ignore it, run away, or hide. Like bullies, and name-calling in particular; I tend to just ignore them even though they severely irritate me. With violent individuals, I've always been able to outrun them, or redirect their momentum, giving me time to run away and hide. It's worked like a charm every time so far, but if there ever comes a time when ignoring someone, running from them, and hiding from them doesn't work, and I'm backed into a corner, I'm probably going to kill them if they don't immediately yield or flee the scene. I suggest people should always avoid combat, but I also feel if one is forced to do combat, they should fight as though their lives depended on it. Personally though, I've always preferred to fight with my mind, because I'm barely 5'9" and only 145 pounds, and not that strong or durable. I'm fast, agile and flexible though, so running away and hiding has worked out pretty good, and I have no plans to change that strategy. If I ever had to take a fight to the enemy though, I'd probably do so by tricking the enemy into doing my bidding for me, without my ever having to be on the actual battlefield; essentially manipulating the enemy into defeating itself. I figure that's the best way to keep myself safe and keep my conscience clean haha.

The real problem is the professional army - when there was a citizens army and ordinary people were expected to go and fight (conscription) then there was less of a gung-ho attitude towards war. That said, some people always managed to wiggle out of serving and send others instead.

My real beef with the subject of the original post was the complainants refusal to understand that there is a HUGE different between dressing up to mimick others and basically make fun of them, and going for a pint in a pub after a long, back breaking shift down the pit.
    Indeed; I think people in general have gotten a lot more insensitive with the advances made in technology; it separates us too much; makes us all slowly stop seeing each other as human beings.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019 at 05:10.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Pagan/ witch

In the Netherlands we have the ultimate black face discussion every year since the last few years. Besides Christmas, we also celebrate Sinterklaas (which just refers to the same Saint Nicholas as Santa Claus). His "helpers" are called "Zwarte Piet", or "Black Pete" in English. They have completely black painted faces, curly black wigs and red lipstick on and they act dumb, like clowns. So I get why people find it racist.

Since the last few years people started protesting during Sinterklaas events, especially on the day he 'arrives' in the Netherlands with his Black Petes. So nowadays, the Petes aren't all completely black, but all colors or they just have a few black stripes on their faces representing the soot from the chimney.

I don't really care what they look like. I don't have or want kids so I don't celebrate Sinterklaas. I even think it's a bit overrated since it's 20 days before Christmas and it's basically the same holiday represented by almost the same figure. But the people who do care are very intense about it, on both sides.
    Wherever you are in life is exactly where you need to be right now.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

I'm a mixed African/Hispanic American man and I'm not even offended by this foolishness.

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

Nailing my colours to the mast before I start - I dislike blackface intensely, along with Golliwogs and all the things people try to excuse as just a product of their time. However, sometimes I see something that really does make me wonder about people's perception:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...hinks-15980804

The men in the photo were miners. They weren't dressing up. They'd gone for a pint before going home. There were no pithead baths where I live (and the photo was taken not far from here) in those days. The much on their faces was literally killing them. This is not a picture of white insensitivity, although it might be one of injustice towards the working man. (Incidentally, Paul Robeson was so loved in the Welsh Valleys, he was made an honorary Welshman).

I just thought I would share and see what people think.
    That person has never been to coal country. In WV there are all kinds of photos of miners like that. Most of us had family or friends' parents who came home like that. Edit: I am kinda surprised we have three WVs on here.
    Last edited by Ula; 21 Mar 2019 at 05:09.