Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golden Age VS Modern Age

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
    ...It should also be noted that I believe in Magick, which has the potential to make a lot of modern technology obsolete.

Astral Projection for example could be a substitute for the Internet.

Dreamwalking and Telepathy could be a substitute for the Cell Phone.

Telekinesis could be a subsitute for Heavy Machinery.

And so on and so forth; the possibilities are virtually endless.
    That's just what it is though, believe. If everyone would actually be able to do astral projection, dreamwalking and telekinesis, we probably wouldn't have all this technology. But people can't do it, so we invented technologies to do it for us. So technology could actually be seen as a kind of magick.

Comment

Everyone can do it; they just need to learn how and practice to get better. I taught myself to control fire with my mind when I was a little kid, among a number of other supernatural abilities. They slowly diminished as I got older and life started beating me down haha, but that's a mentality issue; with a change in perspective, new doors are opened up in the mind. Kids for some reason seem to use these abilities a lot more naturally; I have a theory that it's due to a combination of innocence/purity and open-mindedness; it's a lot easier for little kids to truly believe in magic and the seemingly impossible, and because they believe it wholeheartedly, they're minds turn it into a reality. I have a somewhat connected theory that consciousness itself creates reality.

The difficulty with performing magick is that not many truly believe in it, even if they think that they do. One thing I've found that has helped is recognizing that facts are fickle things, and not everything is as it seems. For example, it was once upon a time, not too long ago, a scientific impossibility for a bumblebee to fly, because the surface area of it's wings couldn't possibly lift it's giant body. It wasn't until the advent of high-speed cameras that scientists were able to observe a flying bumblebee in slow motion, observing that their wings actually bend and flex in such a specific manner as to create lift on the upstroke as well as the downstroke of their wings. With this new information, it was no longer a physical impossibility for a bumblebee to fly.

Seemingly impossible statements can actually turn out to be true. For another example: There are rats that glow in the dark.

Sounds pretty absurd, huh? Well it's true. ....Go ahead; google it. I'll wait.

PS: Indeed; technology is a form of magick. I think it would be classified as Low Magick if I recall correctly; everyone practices some form of Low Magick. What we really need to work towards advancing though is High Magick.
      Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019, 22:52.

Comment

While I agree that often things are not as they seem, please don't come out with 'facts are fickle things,' because they're not. Not if they are really facts. It's the state of knowledge that tends to evolve. For example, it have never been a physical impossibility for a bumblebee to fly - people see bumblebees flying, they have done for for millennia, it was just that science struggled to explain exactly how it worked.
        There's a difference - and that's where your arguments come adrift sometimes.

The same goes for your final statement about high and low magick. Don't just throw that out there - explain what YOU mean by these terms, and then people can engage with you better.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

...Nevermind.

Comment

All I was trying to point out is that facts can change. Right now it's a fact that New York City is highly populated. In the future, that will no longer be a fact; New York City will be wiped off the map eventually. Fickle is a word to describe a non-constant state. Something that is subject to change. Facts change.

Bumblebees flying being a physical/scientific impossibility was meant in the sense that the manmade concepts of science and physics, as it was understood at the time, could not permit a bumblebee to fly. Like everything else in the Universe, science is also subject to change; it's all dependent on circumstances. For example, if there were a certain more number of black holes that had formed in the Universe, the laws of physics as we currently know them would start to break down. New facts would then have to be created in order to accomodate a new reality.

For me, High Magick is ceremonial in nature with a lot of factors that have to be just right, with precise timing; usually there's math involved.

For others, it could mean something different.

If you're going to make it a heated debate though, I'd rather just drop the whole thing instead of arguing about it.
            Last edited by Sollomyn; 28 Mar 2019, 12:37.

Comment

This isn't the debate section so this topic should be treated as a discussion. However, regardless of any type of section, if one states things as a "fact" one needs to be prepared to back it up with proof when questioned.
              “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

It's a fact that it's 10:05 PM MST where I'm at...

...It's actually not a fact anymore; because it's 10:06 PM MST now.

Boom. Facts can change.

Comment

Time is always changing. That's a fact that's never changed since the beginning of time.
                  “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                    Time is always changing. That's a fact that's never changed since the beginning of time.
                    If there ever was a beginning of time; some theories suggest that perhaps the Universe has always existed; with no beginning, and no end.

Time itself is kind of funny; I have some doubts about it personally haha. I think it's just another box we like to organize our reality into; makes us feel more secure; these "facts".

I think if we believe something strongly enough, our minds will make it a reality. The best example I think I've seen of this mind-power is a supposed demonic possession case; unfortunately I can't provide any evidence other than my own account of what happened in front of me back in Alaska. I don't want too say to much other than I was convinced that something "supernatural" was going on with her, but unlike her parents, I didn't think it was a demon.

Her parents were both mentally ill alcoholics; the father being a schizophrenic and the mother being bipolar; both of them were devout Russian Catholics. Both their children were odd; the daughter more so. She became convinced that she had a demon residing in her, and she ended up believing in it so much that it began to effect her body and grant her superhuman physical abilities.

Personally, I don't believe in demons. But I do believe in delusions of granduer being so powerful that they have an observable impact on reality....or, "reality".

I definitely believe there's at least a little merit to the words of Edgar Allan Poe when he said "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."

.....And we're all "super" in our dreams.

....Just some fun stuff to think about and ponder; nothing all that serious.
                    Last edited by Sollomyn; 28 Mar 2019, 21:35.

Comment

i'd rather live today with all the troubles we have now than even 50 years ago where life was significantly more difficult for anyone that wasn't a white male.
                      In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Oshii View Post
                        i'd rather live today with all the troubles we have now than even 50 years ago where life was significantly more difficult for anyone that wasn't a white male.
                        50 years ago, in 7th grade, I was circulating petitions for girls to be allowed to wear pants to school. We won a lot of rights after that. By the time I finished college in 1979, I could sign a lease, buy a car, etc., without anyone else's signature. The general feeling was that we were on a forward climb and things were steadily improving. Today's situations are more like we've crested the summit and are plunging downwards.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          50 years ago, in 7th grade, I was circulating petitions for girls to be allowed to wear pants to school. We won a lot of rights after that. By the time I finished college in 1979, I could sign a lease, buy a car, etc., without anyone else's signature. The general feeling was that we were on a forward climb and things were steadily improving. Today's situations are more like we've crested the summit and are plunging downwards.
                          It's funny in sort of a demented way but I know 1st and 2nd wave feminist who now swear they've gone backwards in gains across the board. Equality and equity of rights are being lost for women being women, especially for those who elect to stay at home and raise a family.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

It is foolish to adhere to movements, waves, etc., it is better to chose to be. Nobody in any group will ever make you happy by being inthat group - but it is easy to fool one's self that one is happy to be in a group.

Just be. That is all you have to do. Just be, and the world will form itself around you.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                              It's funny in sort of a demented way but I know 1st and 2nd wave feminist who now swear they've gone backwards in gains across the board. Equality and equity of rights are being lost for women being women, especially for those who elect to stay at home and raise a family.
                              I don't really know what all the "waves" are, but like I said, I feel we're going downhill or backwards now. People who have no idea what they couldn't do not too long ago take things for granted. But there's a lot of under the table discrimination on all counts - women, ageism, racism, etc.

"The good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems." - Billy Joel
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                                Yeah, as a woman you can't do anything right, no matter what you choose. I choose not to have children, and often people react really surprised when I tell them, because somehow society still thinks that having a child is a woman's biggest accomplishment... But then the women who do have children can't do it right either according to society. If they choose to work part time, so they can spend the other part time with the kids, they're called unambitious. If they choose to work full time and put the children in day care, they're called selfish (but not ambitious?).

The third wave is happening now and it's tackling the above. It's not only addressing women's issues, but all groups being treated unequally, like LGBTQ (did I get all the letters?) and black people. Hopefully after this 'wave' is over, society will finally accept people for who they are and that they will do whatever the hell they want to with their lives without being judgy about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X