Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golden Age VS Modern Age

Re: Golden Age VS Modern Age

Quote Originally Posted by faye_cat View Post
    Honestly, a shift back to more natural living in terms of mentality and appreciating the earth is wonderful, but it's not a competition. Life sucked back then, life sucks now, only the life span is a bit longer. Capitalism is a lot more to blame than the "sheeple" you seem to want to passive aggressively judge.
    Life doesn't have to suck; people just tell themselves that a lot, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. The energies you put out into the world will be sent back to you; like attracts like, birds of a feather flock together, the law of attraction, karma, or whatever terminology resonates best with you. If more people instead said life rocks, then life would rock.

Attitude and perception are the keys to making a happy or an unhappy life, regardless of circumstances, and those are almost the only two things you have true control over, so why not start telling yourself that life is awesome? At least a little more often.

And try to smile and laugh when you don't feel like it; the simple act of smiling sends signals to your brain which then release chemicals to make you feel happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Unless if there's a zombie apocalypse heading our way!
    Hehe, it's already here in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019 at 16:12.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    Whoever said I'm anti-technology?????

I surely never said I am haha.
    It was probobly this diatribe that gave me that impression:

I have a dream; a dream of a simpler world from long ago, back when people weren't segregated from the Earth by layers of concrete, and dependent upon fragile systems that would mean the end of their world as they know it if those systems ever malfunctioned; tis a foolish man who builds his house on sand, and that's what humanity has done to a large extent. How many of them would actually be able to find their own food, water and shelter, should the need ever arise? The department store is the new proverbial hunting grounds for most modern humans, and their weapons are cash and coins as opposed to bows and arrows. The new watering hole is in the modern home's kitchen; where the life-giving substance just seems to magically pour from the steel faucet, with many owners of said faucets not even knowing where their water is actually coming from, or what is actually in it, nor do they seem to care about that peculiar chemical taste within the city water...or they just don't know what clean water tastes like, because its been so long since they've had any that doesn't either come out of a faucet, or a plastic bottle made out of synthetic chemical substances.

When was the last time you had fresh, cold, mountain spring water from your own Earthen clay jug as the forest sings and dances around you? Ever? Would that not be a more pleasant, wholesome, natural, and healthy way of drinking water?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Life doesn't have to suck; people just tell themselves that a lot, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. The energies you put out into the world will be sent back to you; like attracts like, birds of a feather flock together, the law of attraction, karma, or whatever terminology resonates best with you. If more people instead said life rocks, then life would rock.

Attitude and perception are the keys to making a happy or an unhappy life, regardless of circumstances, and those are almost the only two things you have true control over, so why not start telling yourself that life is awesome? At least a little more often.

And try to smile and laugh when you don't feel like it; the simple act of smiling sends signals to your brain which then release chemicals to make you feel happy.
    To be clear, when I say life sucks, I say it in the same offhanded way that people say nature is unforgiving. As in, there's always going to be bad things that happen. That doesn't mean that good things don't happen, only that there is bad and good, that's what makes up life. In the context of this thread, there are bad things that happened in the past, and there are bad things that happen now. Going back to the past isn't going to fix the bad things. You telling me to be positive has nothing to do with the actual context of this thread, honestly.

But sure. Let's talk about this
    Attitude and perception are the keys to making a happy or an unhappy life, regardless of circumstances, and those are almost the only two things you have true control over, so why not start telling yourself that life is awesome?
    Maybe if you took your own advice you wouldn't be lamenting this modern age and wishing for the "golden age" (Which, define golden age, btw. What time frame are you thinking is golden? The dark ages? The Renaissance? Which continent? Which civilization? What time period, and for men or women or children?) It sounds like you just need a little more positive thinking and you wouldn't be so discontent in this modern age.
    Our food and water aren't the only things that have been diminished by the Modern Age;
    Food, water, and shelter; the basic fundamental cornerstones of survival, have all been mutilated by the Modern Age. That's not even going into all of the other damaging aspects of modern civilization
    back when humans had a partnership with nature, and they didn't just blindly take or do whatever they wanted to, whenever they wanted to, however they wanted to, with no respect or thought to the consequences; like soulless machines.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Thanks for the clarification.

And honestly, I'm not sure if the Golden Age, as I imagine it in my mind, has ever actually existed. If it did, it would probably have been around 100,000 years before Christ. Even that though probably isn't really the vision I have in my mind....so perhaps it's a New Age.

And indeed haha; I could think more positively. I'm already abundantly positive in comparison to a lot of folks, but even I get down in the dumps on occasion, and need to remember to take my own advice.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    It was probobly this diatribe that gave me that impression:
    I showed support for technology in that "diatribe"; bows and arrows, ceramics, etc. I'm not AGAINST technology, I just don't agree with how we've gone about advancing technology; I'm all for the advancement of technology, but I believe in doing so in harmony with Mother Nature instead of against it.

Like this computer I'm typing on; lot's a plastic; surely there's an all-natural alternative to the casings. Lots of components inside of the computer are all-natural; metals, crystals, etc. I'm not saying that technology is bad; I'm saying we should've gone about evolving it differently than we did. Hope this clears things up.

It it's not natural, then I'm probably not going to be a fan of it. Technology is a natural part of the human experience though, but not all technology is natural.

A ROCK is a piece of technology depending on how you use it.

...It should also be noted that I believe in Magick, which has the potential to make a lot of modern technology obsolete.

Astral Projection for example could be a substitute for the Internet.

Dreamwalking and Telepathy could be a substitute for the Cell Phone.

Telekinesis could be a subsitute for Heavy Machinery.

And so on and so forth; the possibilities are virtually endless.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019 at 17:39.

That could be a theme of this thread; making inquiries on how the Golden Age (or should we call it the New Age? ) can be equivalent to if not greater than the Modern Age.

Candy for example; that's a relatively modern invention, but can still be made from perfectly natural materials in a primitive environment. Chips are also doable; they're made from potatoes. Popcorn would be easy enough; but I'm not sure about soda pop...I might have to look into that; there's a lot of unnatural qualities to modern day soda pop, just judging from the nutrition facts labels where they list the ingredients haha. There's stuff on there that sounds like it was designed in a laboratory which probably means whatever natural resources went into it got mutilated from what they originally were; I believe science tampers far too much with Mother Nature instead of just taking her for what she is. If someone gives you a present meant for a certain purpose, isn't it kind of rude to bust that present up into little pieces, to then take parts from it to mix with parts of other presents, in order to make something for a totally different purpose? Especially something that ends up harming the person who gave you those gifts? ...That's kind of how I see it anyway.

--Sollomyn
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019 at 20:11.

Aug 2018

...It should also be noted that I believe in Magick, which has the potential to make a lot of modern technology obsolete.

Astral Projection for example could be a substitute for the Internet.

Dreamwalking and Telepathy could be a substitute for the Cell Phone.

Telekinesis could be a subsitute for Heavy Machinery.

And so on and so forth; the possibilities are virtually endless.
    That's just what it is though, believe. If everyone would actually be able to do astral projection, dreamwalking and telekinesis, we probably wouldn't have all this technology. But people can't do it, so we invented technologies to do it for us. So technology could actually be seen as a kind of magick.

Everyone can do it; they just need to learn how and practice to get better. I taught myself to control fire with my mind when I was a little kid, among a number of other supernatural abilities. They slowly diminished as I got older and life started beating me down haha, but that's a mentality issue; with a change in perspective, new doors are opened up in the mind. Kids for some reason seem to use these abilities a lot more naturally; I have a theory that it's due to a combination of innocence/purity and open-mindedness; it's a lot easier for little kids to truly believe in magic and the seemingly impossible, and because they believe it wholeheartedly, they're minds turn it into a reality. I have a somewhat connected theory that consciousness itself creates reality.

The difficulty with performing magick is that not many truly believe in it, even if they think that they do. One thing I've found that has helped is recognizing that facts are fickle things, and not everything is as it seems. For example, it was once upon a time, not too long ago, a scientific impossibility for a bumblebee to fly, because the surface area of it's wings couldn't possibly lift it's giant body. It wasn't until the advent of high-speed cameras that scientists were able to observe a flying bumblebee in slow motion, observing that their wings actually bend and flex in such a specific manner as to create lift on the upstroke as well as the downstroke of their wings. With this new information, it was no longer a physical impossibility for a bumblebee to fly.

Seemingly impossible statements can actually turn out to be true. For another example: There are rats that glow in the dark.

Sounds pretty absurd, huh? Well it's true. ....Go ahead; google it. I'll wait.

PS: Indeed; technology is a form of magick. I think it would be classified as Low Magick if I recall correctly; everyone practices some form of Low Magick. What we really need to work towards advancing though is High Magick.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019 at 22:52.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

While I agree that often things are not as they seem, please don't come out with 'facts are fickle things,' because they're not. Not if they are really facts. It's the state of knowledge that tends to evolve. For example, it have never been a physical impossibility for a bumblebee to fly - people see bumblebees flying, they have done for for millennia, it was just that science struggled to explain exactly how it worked.
    There's a difference - and that's where your arguments come adrift sometimes.

The same goes for your final statement about high and low magick. Don't just throw that out there - explain what YOU mean by these terms, and then people can engage with you better.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

...Nevermind.

All I was trying to point out is that facts can change. Right now it's a fact that New York City is highly populated. In the future, that will no longer be a fact; New York City will be wiped off the map eventually. Fickle is a word to describe a non-constant state. Something that is subject to change. Facts change.

Bumblebees flying being a physical/scientific impossibility was meant in the sense that the manmade concepts of science and physics, as it was understood at the time, could not permit a bumblebee to fly. Like everything else in the Universe, science is also subject to change; it's all dependent on circumstances. For example, if there were a certain more number of black holes that had formed in the Universe, the laws of physics as we currently know them would start to break down. New facts would then have to be created in order to accomodate a new reality.

For me, High Magick is ceremonial in nature with a lot of factors that have to be just right, with precise timing; usually there's math involved.

For others, it could mean something different.

If you're going to make it a heated debate though, I'd rather just drop the whole thing instead of arguing about it.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 28 Mar 2019 at 12:37.