Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golden Age VS Modern Age

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
    Yeah, as a woman you can't do anything right, no matter what you choose. I choose not to have children, and often people react really surprised when I tell them, because somehow society still thinks that having a child is a woman's biggest accomplishment... But then the women who do have children can't do it right either according to society. If they choose to work part time, so they can spend the other part time with the kids, they're called unambitious. If they choose to work full time and put the children in day care, they're called selfish (but not ambitious?).

The third wave is happening now and it's tackling the above. It's not only addressing women's issues, but all groups being treated unequally, like LGBTQ (did I get all the letters?) and black people. Hopefully after this 'wave' is over, society will finally accept people for who they are and that they will do whatever the hell they want to with their lives without being judgy about it.
    Actually since about 2012 you've been on what is loosely called 4th wave feminism now. It's more electronic backed I guess you could say is the separation marker between 3rd wave and 4th wave's creation point. They are utilizing mass media, the Net, and similar methodology but is more inclusive of other groupings as you pointed out. Ironically though some of the people I knew claimed under those descriptions it pushed the more fem-nazi's or what they were calling 4th wave towards I guess an alt 4th wave or maybe a 5th wave I suppose.

Unfortunately that inclusion is also what some older groups I think is what is driving them to say women are being thrown under the bus so to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
    Nice; personally I'm a fan of underground homes for those reasons among others; no rotting wood to worry about, the roof is Earth so it's definitely strong enough and never needs repairing, and the walls of Earth are bulletproof, not to mention an excellent natural insulator. Best part is it's completely green and doesn't require cutting down any trees; just clay bricks or stones sealed together with mortar; then once the structure is built it's covered with soil and voila; underground home. --Sollomyn
    This here has been nagging away at the back of my head for days to be honest. A underground house. In theory a good idea when built with modern construction methods. When built with old construction methods it's not such a good idea. Even with that nice earthen roof over top of it and a good layer of timbers to hold the roof in place. Well not unless you happen to be in a fairly arid region with little rain or a region with little ground water or seepage.

When I was younger we used to build underground structure's fairly often. Anything from 8 feet to a couple that were about 15 feet deep and as many feet across. Cover them with timber framed roofs and earth over top of that, good solid doomed shaped roofs upwards of a foot to a foot and a half of soil. Often trying to place them on the highest point and place the opening into them on the downward side so any rain would be running away from the opening to lessen the chance of coming into the structure.

During the dry periods they stayed dried. During the rainy periods if it was slow rain or mist they tended to stay dry as well as the seepage and infiltration rate through the ground was so slow it never amounted to anything. Yet when it was heavy and long rain periods they always had standing water in them if not totally flooded and collapsed. The weight of the cap along with the amount of water within the cap causes it to turn to mud and collapse within and through the wood supports. Depending upon the ground water levels and / or the slope of the land the movement of water into the void caused the water to collect in the void.

Even when we used rock or other things to pack the walls it didn't stop the movement of water.

Of course the alternate to that is any cavern or underground opening. Many of those of course do tend to stay high and dry during any type of weather but many also have choke points where water collects. Doesn't count your neighbors who also happen to already live in said caverns or cave structure's. Some large, some small. Nor does that take into consideration the movement of air which would influence smoke and it's by products depending upon the size of your cave / cavern.

Due to the nature of my Military job coding in the Navy I had the opportunity to work in a few underground situations. In one job I was more of a Site supervisor so was responsible for making rounds of the various areas. One of my responsibilities was to ensure the sump pumps turned on in a few of the areas that were cut from the native stone because they tended to fill up with ground water. Not at a great rate of flow but sufficient to do damage if left unchecked over time. Imagine if you had no way but manual to clear that mess and had to do it for hours on end.

So no, your underground homes are not as great as your making them out to be. Lots of dangers and potential fail points. Add in fecal matter to the equation, natural ground water due to rivers, lakes, ponds with seepage or similar and your just asking for trouble. None of that even touching upon wildlife that comes calling, especially if you have any sort of "Food" in your shelter.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
    X