Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Respect

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: Respect

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    Respect is earned. You are not automatically assigned it. The famous golden rule applies in my opinion. Treat others as you would want to be treated. I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thank you for your replies.
    Respect should for the most part be earned, yes. I do tend to agree with Corbin that courtesy has benefits regardless and that abandoning formalities (even if they seem empty) entirely comes with a cost to society at large. That said, there are days where my position amounts to, "90% of the species has already abandoned courtesy and playing by rules that no one else does gets old very quickly," but it's possible that I just dislike humanity.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

I think a certain amount of manners and dreaded small talk are actually a social necessity. I am naturally very introverted and they sometimes annoy or tire me, but even I can see that they serve a purpose. When someone observes common social niceties, they are displaying a basic good will- an intent that the following conversation or interaction will proceed within comfortable parameters, and is not intended to end in violence for instance. There is a reason that when you travel or learn a new language, the first things you learn are polite greetings, please and thank you. They serve a place across many cultures.

Manners may change over time as social mores change. Rapid change in technology is accelerating this, as is the fact that the human population is still growing exponentially. It doesn't mean that the changes are wrong or right, just that the rules shift a little bit, and it makes people uneasy and defensive. Plus, I think that many of us have semantic opinions, and hate to lose the opportunity to have our opinions prevail.

My daughter had a friend who moved here from the southern US, and she was actually sent to the principal's office for calling her teacher Ma'am. We live in a rather conservative and ostensibly polite culture here, and I was rather surprised. I would have thought that the teacher would have been raised to say say Sir and Ma'am to authority figures. I think there was an implication that it was sarcastic, but knowing the child, I think she was just Southern.

Regarding respect, I personally allot a basic amount of respect to everyone as a human being trying to get along in the world. It grows or diminishes based on my experience of their behavior, and sometimes their opinions, but a stranger is going to get the basic "we are mutual humans out in the public world" level of respect. I am going to assume that they are working on the same level until proven other wise. I do think that there seem to be fewer people who do this, but mostly I think people are oblivious and working within their own framework at any given time. I also think that it is easier to be rude with the anonymity of the internet, and that it is seeping into the outside world. But then again, I think that a great deal of television and radio encourages disrespect because louder and ruder increases ratings.

I wonder if the teenagers at that store thought that she was somehow being rude to them. I have worked enough retail to think that that is very much a possibility. Also, there are just differences across demographic groups sometimes. Kind of like younger to middle aged people taking offense when someone types in all caps because it is established as shouting, and older people just thinking it is easier for them to read.

And finally, some types of manners are social constructs to help clue people in to levels of wealth or social standing. Some of these sometimes seem pretty obvious, sometimes not. I use a rule of thumb that manners are designed to make others more comfortable in a social setting, for instance eating politely instead of spattering food everywhere. But it is good to watch out for judging others for not having been introduced to your own cultural mores. Mocking someone for only having one pair of shoes or because they don't know the difference between a fish fork and a shellfish fork for obvious instance. Those things are not about increasing comfort, they are about exclusion.
    Last edited by Prickly Pear; 05 Apr 2019 at 19:03. Reason: Somehow my final point ended up in the middle.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

I agree with everybody. Respect have to be earned especially being well liked. If people don't like you then they don't respect you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I agree with everybody. Respect have to be earned especially being well liked. If people don't like you then they don't respect you at all.
    I don't know if I fully agree. I think you are mostly right. There are people I dislike because I don't respect them. There are also people I respect although I don't necessarily like them. Maybe someone has a personality that grates on me, but I can see that it is just a difference in culture or personal taste, and that they still have good qualities. Just that I would prefer to respect those qualities from afar.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
    I don't know if I fully agree. I think you are mostly right. There are people I dislike because I don't respect them. There are also people I respect although I don't necessarily like them. Maybe someone has a personality that grates on me, but I can see that it is just a difference in culture or personal taste, and that they still have good qualities. Just that I would prefer to respect those qualities from afar.
    That's true. Depending on people opinion of liking and respecting other people and vice verse varies on people point of view.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Respect is earned by showing respect to "me."

If you show respect to me, I will show respect to you. Even when I disagree with you, I will still respect you. But whether I agree with you or not, if you show disrespect for me, I will develop an animosity toward you.

This is a social contract. What you give me, I will return (with interest).

In terms of social benefits, it is better to begin with respect toward others, then take it away respect if it is found to be underseved, that it is to expect the other to earn respect, because in the former case, one begins with the expectation both parties are equals, but in the later, one is expected to prove that one is an equal.

Begin with an equal playing field, then regrade the field as needed. No lords, no peons; show which rank you fall into via your own actions.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post

In terms of social benefits, it is better to begin with respect toward others, then take it away respect if it is found to be underseved, that it is to expect the other to earn respect, because in the former case, one begins with the expectation both parties are equals, but in the later, one is expected to prove that one is an equal.

Begin with an equal playing field, then regrade the field as needed. No lords, no peons; show which rank you fall into via your own actions.
    That is the part of this that I have never articulated well, but felt strongly.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

My thoughts are influenced somewhat by respect for the law, not just for individuals. In some (many?) cases, they go hand-in-hand. For example, in a town with leash laws, if a neighbor lets their pet loose and it uses your yard as a toilet, that person is disrespecting both the law and the neighbor's property.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism & Demonolatry
    Phrase
    Astra inclinant, sed non obligant

I have little time for people these days because of things like this. Too rude. I don't waste my time in public anymore than I need to.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

new times new rules i guess and confusing at times

- - - Updated - - -

brave new world as that book says
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was