Death Anxiety Questionnaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Anxiety Questionnaire

Alright lets preface. First I am unsure if this is the correct area it should go so Admins feel free to move it. Next this questionnaire came from a short assignment that I recently completed in my developmental psychology class and thought it would be fun to see how others scores. In the chapter we were discussing late adulthood which is in the case of the book 65+. Which of course means that the topic of death is brought up. Which enters this questionnaire, the average person scores an 8.5 and according to my professor I scored the lowest ever in her class. So please take the short quiz score yourself and if you feel up to it tell us what you got and what you learned from it.

For each of the following items, indicate your response according to the following scale.

0 not at all

1 somewhat

1. very much

1. _____Do you worry about dying?
    2. _____Does it bother you that you may die before you have done everything you wanted to?
    3. _____Do you worry that you may be ill for a very long time before you die?
    4. _____Does it upset you to think others may see you suffering before you die?
    5. _____Do you worry that dying may be very painful?
    6. _____Do you worry that the people closest to you won’t be with you when you are dying?
    7. _____Do you worry that you may be alone when you are dying?
    8. _____Does the thought bother you that you might lose control of your mind before death?
    9. _____Do you worry that expenses connected with your death will be a burden to other people?
    10. _____Does it worry you that your instructions or Will about your belongings may not be carried out after you die?
    11. _____Are you afraid that you may be buried before you are really dead?
    12. _____Does the thought of leaving loved ones behind when you die disturb you?
    13. _____Do you worry that those you care about may not remember you after your death?
    14. _____Does the thought worry you that with death you may be gone forever?
    15. _____Are you worried about not knowing what to expect after death?

- - - Updated - - -

My score was 3. What I scored points in was question 9 and question 12.

When I was a preteen death was something I worried about quite a bit, this could have been because I was raised in the time of the "world would be ending soon". I was made to go to church at that time and grew up as a southern baptist and they were always preaching revelations. However as I "grew up" the fear of death disappeared. I have two reasons I think this happened: first being I converted to paganism at age 16 and my matron goddess happens to be a crone, I came to realize that death is a part of the cycle of life and that I have been given a gift in living and that to complete that cycle death must follow.

My other thought process is I suffer pretty bad from depression, it hit me really hard as a teenager and while I have never been suicidal I can recognize in myself that sometimes I'm tired of fighting and that when it's time for me to go I'll go and be ok. I also know that every day is a gift in itself. Even my bad days, and I am beyond bless for what I do have.
    Last edited by kalynraye; 11 Apr 2019, 06:28.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Re: Death Anxiety Questionnaire

I'm not sure I understand the points scale, are the options 0, 1, and 1?

Comment

Sorry it should be:
      0- Not at all
      1- Somewhat
      2- Very Much
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

I got 6. They were on questions: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 13.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Final score is 11,

1. I worry a bit about dying. This question however could be seen as an average of all of the other questions below, as they're pretty much all reasons to worry about death. (1 pt)
          2. The thought of dying before accomplishing my goals is quite unsettling, after all, I live for those goals. I'd rather die trying than not trying, of course. (2 pts)
          3. I definitely don't want like being ill, let alone during my final days. I'd rather spend my last few days cheating death for the fun of it. (2 pts)
          4. External perception is none of my concern. If I'm suffering, and about to die, I'm probably more concerned about my own state. They're not dying, I am. (0 pts)
          5. I do worry a lot my death will be painful. Ties in with answer n°3. There are a lot of gruesome ways to go. I'd much much rather have a quick death. (2 pts)
          6. I'd rather if people close to me were living their lives as normal. Ain't nobody got time to spend for the dying when there's already little time for the living. (0 pts)
          7. I don't mind being alone while dying. In fact, I'd rather be. It's probably very unsettling being surrounded by people totally powerless to save you or do anything for you. (0 pts)
          8. If I lost control of my mind I wouldn't be able to think about some cool as hell last words like "I'll be back". (2 pts)
          9. HAHA no, that's what they get for being my friends/family. (0 pts)
          10. I won't have any, I don't mind leaving this world with no heritage. In fact, the thought that the only chance people have to experience my existence in their lives is limited to my own lifetime is quite pleasing for me. (0 pts)
          11. Yeah but that's because I've watched too many series with this trope/cliché. (1 pt)
          12. A bit, I'd rather live as much as I can with my loved ones! (1 pt)
          13. As I've said in n°10, I'd rather if thoughts about me were limited to within my lifetime. (0 pts)
          14. Not really, I have faith in my beliefs on the afterlife (0 pts)
          15. I know what to expect after death. There is of course no such thing as 100% certainty within the human mind, but definitely enough certainty for it to give me peace. (0 pts)

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Thanks guys so much for answering! I really enjoy reading other peoples perspective.

Comment

not sure how to score but at 72 i find death does not frighten me at all i have seen it close up from time to time
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

You give each question a 0, 1, or 2. 2 being very much. You add your score and their is your score.

Comment

Total score = 7

Individual breakdown:

1. 1 point. I have some worries.
                  2. 0 points. This is a given. I will not accomplish everything. There is not enough time in a human lifetime. I can only prioritize and do the best that I can do.
                  3. 2 points. It depends on the illness of course, but I would rather be living actively and not using up money on illness.
                  4. 0 points. Part of life. I would like to ease other's pain, but seeing others suffer is part of life.
                  5. 1 point. I do worry about painful things, including painful deaths. I spend time considering the "best" death. So yes. But I don't believe that death pain would last for long enough to worry too much. Excepting long painful illness. Also, I am less afraid of pain than I used to be. Still afraid, still avoid, but know that I have experienced it, and still go on.
                  6. 0 points. I was surprised to realize that I felt relief when my daughter was born and I suddenly thought that she would be with me when I die. However, now I think that it would be nice to have loved ones around, I don't need it. I make sure that we all know we love each other, and value our experience together, and that is peace of mind enough for me.
                  7. o points. I kind of think that we all die alone anyway. I usually picture myself alone in the wilderness. Maybe watching a turkey vulture ride the updrafts, or a small insect crawling on a plant.
                  8. 2 points. Yes. If it is just for a day or 2 fine, but a lengthy illness or struggle with this is expensive and painful to my loved ones.
                  9. 1 point. Yes. I have made it clear that I prefer the cheapest and most natural option. If they need more, they can decide that. But I prefer cheap and simple.
                  10. 0 points. They can and will do what they want no matter what my wishes. I hope to be moving on to whatever is next, so it really isn't that important to me.
                  11. 0 points. It would be horrible, but it seems unlikely.
                  12. 0 points. Leaving loved ones behind is the nature of it, so no. I did worry when my children were younger, and I'd like them to be a little older, but I think they will be okay without me. They are pretty much able to fend for themselves if needed. I also think that they would help each other.
                  13. 0 points. I have never forgotten my loved ones who have died. The people I really love will not forget me.
                  14. 0 points. I don't worry about being forgotten in general. I made my peace a long time ago with a quiet life with quiet contributions. I think I am pretty forgettable in general, although I don't think that forgettable is the same thing as unimportant.
                  15. 0 points. Not knowing what to expect. The ultimate adventure. Although some of the possibilities I've heard posited sound bad. Oh, well.
                  Last edited by Prickly Pear; 12 Apr 2019, 15:49. Reason: forgot question 15

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    Alright lets preface. First I am unsure if this is the correct area it should go so Admins feel free to move it. Next this questionnaire came from a short assignment that I recently completed in my developmental psychology class and thought it would be fun to see how others scores. In the chapter we were discussing late adulthood which is in the case of the book 65+. Which of course means that the topic of death is brought up. Which enters this questionnaire, the average person scores an 8.5 and according to my professor I scored the lowest ever in her class. So please take the short quiz score yourself and if you feel up to it tell us what you got and what you learned from it.

For each of the following items, indicate your response according to the following scale.

0 not at all

1 somewhat

1. very much

1. _____Do you worry about dying?
                    2. _____Does it bother you that you may die before you have done everything you wanted to?
                    3. _____Do you worry that you may be ill for a very long time before you die?
                    4. _____Does it upset you to think others may see you suffering before you die?
                    5. _____Do you worry that dying may be very painful?
                    6. _____Do you worry that the people closest to you won’t be with you when you are dying?
                    7. _____Do you worry that you may be alone when you are dying?
                    8. _____Does the thought bother you that you might lose control of your mind before death?
                    9. _____Do you worry that expenses connected with your death will be a burden to other people?
                    10. _____Does it worry you that your instructions or Will about your belongings may not be carried out after you die?
                    11. _____Are you afraid that you may be buried before you are really dead?
                    12. _____Does the thought of leaving loved ones behind when you die disturb you?
                    13. _____Do you worry that those you care about may not remember you after your death?
                    14. _____Does the thought worry you that with death you may be gone forever?
                    15. _____Are you worried about not knowing what to expect after death?

- - - Updated - - -

My score was 3. What I scored points in was question 9 and question 12.

When I was a preteen death was something I worried about quite a bit, this could have been because I was raised in the time of the "world would be ending soon". I was made to go to church at that time and grew up as a southern baptist and they were always preaching revelations. However as I "grew up" the fear of death disappeared. I have two reasons I think this happened: first being I converted to paganism at age 16 and my matron goddess happens to be a crone, I came to realize that death is a part of the cycle of life and that I have been given a gift in living and that to complete that cycle death must follow.

My other thought process is I suffer pretty bad from depression, it hit me really hard as a teenager and while I have never been suicidal I can recognize in myself that sometimes I'm tired of fighting and that when it's time for me to go I'll go and be ok. I also know that every day is a gift in itself. Even my bad days, and I am beyond bless for what I do have.
                    _____Do you worry about dying? 1

I worry about it to a degree, but not often.

_____Does it bother you that you may die before you have done everything you wanted to? 1

I consider my religious creations to be an art form, so I do want them to be preserved in some way before I die. I do worry about sudden death preventing this, but this worry is only to a small degree.

_____Do you worry that you may be ill for a very long time before you die? 0

No, not really. Since I do have to die I hope that I will be conscious and aware to the point of death so that I know what is happening and I'm not taken out suddenly. It may require an illness to ensure this. I just hope it's not unbearably painful.

_____Does it upset you to think others may see you suffering before you die? 0

Nope.

_____Do you worry that dying may be very painful? 1

_____Do you worry that the people closest to you won’t be with you when you are dying? 1

This one is basically related to the next one. I don't want to die alone.

_____Do you worry that you may be alone when you are dying? 1

_____Does the thought bother you that you might lose control of your mind before death? 0

Haven't given it much thought.

_____Do you worry that expenses connected with your death will be a burden to other people? 0

_____Does it worry you that your instructions or Will about your belongings may not be carried out after you die? 0

____Are you afraid that you may be buried before you are really dead? 1

I do worry about this, but I plan on being cremated in part to make sure this doesn't happen.

_____Does the thought of leaving loved ones behind when you die disturb you? 0

_____Do you worry that those you care about may not remember you after your death? 0

_____Does the thought worry you that with death you may be gone forever? 0

No, to some degree I hope for this.

_____Are you worried about not knowing what to expect after death? 0

If there is an afterlife I look forward to finding out about it.

I scored a 6.
                    Last edited by Will; 17 Apr 2019, 20:50.

Comment

Working...
                    X