• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about Satanism vs Luciferianism

I have heard contradicting opinions about the two :
    - the same thing under a different name
    - something completely different and even diametrically opposed

So I'm hoping for some enlightenment on the subject. As far as I'm aware, satanism is more a celebration of the self as where luciferianism is the veneration of Lucifer who is believed to be the true god rather than Yehova who is a tyrant.
    That's just how I understood it ( please don't read this as an attack on christianity because it's certainly not meant that way at all)

Re: A question about Satanism vs Luciferianism

So, I'm not a Satanist. And I'm sure the ones we have on the board will chime in at some point, which would be great, because they could add a lot of detail. But this is my basic understanding.

LeVayan (sp?) Satanism is atheistic. They don't believe in any sort of deity.

Theistic Satanism believes that there's a divine something. Whether Satan is that divine something I've never really understood.

Luciferianism worships Lucifer.

ETA : this section of the forum discusses a lot of those topics. http://www.paganforum.com/forumdispl...eft-Hand-Paths
    Last edited by Shahaku; 26 Apr 2019, 06:16.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Hello there, the Left-Hand Path is definitely a confusing side of the story, as pretty much everyone does whatever the hell (haha) they want and there is no real authority when it comes to who can be named what.

Satanisms are already a bunch of completely different things; you got LaVeyan (atheistic), Traditional, Spiritual, Demonolators etc. and even inside these groups you have wild discrepancies and idiosyncretisms that are just part of the individualistic nature of Satanism.

Luciferianism can sometimes be closer to Satanism, sometimes can be extremely different. There is, however, often a concept of balancing dark and light, and also often an encouragement to aid others in their path to balance regardless of their spiritual path.

One the Left-Hand Path wordpress blogosphere there is one blogger that I consider a friend, and started out as a Satanist but became Luciferian very shortly after is Aleph and his blog "Aleph's Heretical Domain".
      Though admittedly, he mostly posts thoughts and musings on recent events, it will allow you to peek into the thought process of a Luciferian. Some of his older posts do reference his beliefs directly.

Aleph's Heretical Domain Wordpress Blog

When it is true that most forms of modern Satanisms venerate the self in one way or another, you have Satanic branches that can be extremely devotional to their gods. There is also a popular practice in Satanic witchcraft which involves vowing a cult to a certain demon for a set amount of time in exchange of their services. These periods of cult-worship can be very intense and self-sacrificial which might sound contrary to the general Satanic philosophy but it's generally in the objective of satisfying individualistic desires on the long-term (post-cult period).

Some Luciferians consider YHVH to be the demiurge, while others don't believe in him at all. It is better to not assume anything at all, and if you ever meet a Luciferian, just ask them "what the hell is the deal with your beliefs, omg?" and they'll gladly explain it to you. They like explaining things in my experience. Even when you have not asked them to do so. Chances are just mentioning Luciferianism will earn you a full lecture on it.

What can be confusing, is Satanists like me that consider Lucifer to be the same as Satan (or in my specific case, one of the Satans), while others consider them totally different entities, Some Luciferians believing both to be different but also two sides of the same coin, and some other Luciferians don't even believe in Satan at all.

It's a fun little side of the spirituality world.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by GreenKeeper View Post
        I have heard contradicting opinions about the two :
        - the same thing under a different name
        - something completely different and even diametrically opposed
        Within the LHP communities, Satanism and Luciferianism are generally considered to be two different paths. There are some Luciferians who identify as Satanists and vice versa, but the vast majority of the modern writings and common practices (with all their myriad variations) agree that they are NOT just different names for the same thing.

Originally posted by GreenKeeper View Post
        So I'm hoping for some enlightenment on the subject. As far as I'm aware, satanism is more a celebration of the self as where luciferianism is the veneration of Lucifer who is believed to be the true god rather than Yehova who is a tyrant.
        That's just how I understood it ( please don't read this as an attack on christianity because it's certainly not meant that way at all)
        The tricky thing is that there are as many variations of 'Satanism', 'Luciferianism' and even 'Demonolatry' as there are variations of witchcraft. Getting all the LHP'ers in the room to agree on everything is nigh on impossible. I'm not Luciferian, so I don't know the nuances of their belief regarding Lucifer... just that there is a general trend towards Lucifer as the bringer of light and enlightenment/freedom/independence. As far as Satanists go... that depends on the basic type of Satanism one is talking about. Theistic Satanists do tend to venerate the self, but not to the same degree than Non-Theistic Satanists do (many of whom are also actively atheistic). Theistic Satanism typically involves veneration of entities other than the self... which can involve Satan, Lucifer or any number of other deities and entities. But there is no single accepted 'truth' regarding who Satan is or how He fits into the big picture. Some believe that Lucifer is Satan, but identify as Satanists rather than Luciferians because of the differences of perspective, focus and ethos between the two paths. Opinions on YHVH also vary greatly, though that's a whole other topic.

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
        What can be confusing, is Satanists like me that consider Lucifer to be the same as Satan (or in my specific case, one of the Satans), while others consider them totally different entities, Some Luciferians believing both to be different but also two sides of the same coin, and some other Luciferians don't even believe in Satan at all.
        Then you have a non-Satanist-non-Luciferian-married-to-a-Theistic-Satanist-mixed-Demonolator-LHP'er like me... and I believe that Lucifer may have held the title of ha-Satan at one point in time, but that He is not the current 'Satan' that most Satanists worship today. I also don't think that the current Satan and The Devil are the same entity (just like I don't think Aphrodite and Venus are the same entity). But I tend to be standing around the edge of the LHP room, so some of my beliefs and experiences are outside of the general trend.

Comment

Working...
        X