Re: An actual PF cookbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    Chocolate Amaretto Cheesecake

In a bowl combine:
    1 ½ cups chocolate crumbs
    1 cup chopped almonds
    1/3 cup sugar
    6 TBSP softened butter

Pat the mixture onto the bottom & sides of a buttered 9 ½” springform pan.

Then cream together:
    1 ½ LBS. Softened cream cheese
    1 cup sugar

Beat in:
    4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition

Add:
    1/3 cup less 1 TBSP heavy cream
    1 TBSP Baileys Irish Cream
    ¼ cup Amaretto Di Saronno
    1 TEASP vanilla extract

Beat until light. Pour batter into shell and bake at 375 for 35 – 40 minutes. (Seems to take a bit longer in my oven. Keep an eye on it and toothpick-test the middle for almost-doneness.) Place pan on rack and let stand 5 minutes.

Combine:
    2 cups sour cream
    1 TBSP sugar
    1 TEASP vanilla extract
    Spread on top of cake and bake 5 more minutes. Cool on rack completely and chill in fridge overnight. Remove sides of pan, transfer to stand, and (optional) press sliced, slightly toasted almonds around top edge.

NOTES: I buy almond slivers which have no “skin” on them. All ingredients are full-fat variety and the best quality you can get, this is one time you want to splurge on the name brands!
    You can do this all in 1 bowl if you wipe it out well in between steps.

It’s easier than it looks! And you can mix together any leftover Amaretto & Baileys and drink while it's in the oven. LOL
    Daaaaaaaaaaaamn
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Vegetarian Spaghetti

2 cans of Spaghetti Sauce
    2 cans of Diced Tomato
    2 cans of Stewed Tomato
    2 onions
    2 Bell peppers (variety of red/yellow/orange)
    1 cup of mushrooms, finely chopped
    1 can of black olives chopped
    5 medium tomatoes
    1 Bag of garden beefless crumbles
    All of the Italian seasoning and garlic seasoning (okay, more like 1/3 a container of Italian, and 3 tbls garlic, to taste)
    1/8 cup sugar

Toss all the cans of tomato product in a stock pot, minus the actual tomatoes, low heat. Chop what you need to chop (onion, bell pepper, mushroom, olives). Toss a little oil in a skillet, add your seasoning first, and then dump in your peppers. Cook for a minute and dump in your onion. Cook for a minute and add in the mushroom and black olives. If you use a meat tenderizer on the mushrooms before this step, they get a bit of a meaty texture and you can skip the beefless crumbles. Cook that until the onions are almost translucent. Add in the tomatoes, quartered or smaller, depending on your preference. Let them cook with all that in the skillet until the skin starts to come off. Toss in you sugar, stir, and toss it all in the stock pot. Add your beefless crumbles, and anything you may have missed. Simmer all day (or at least a couple hours, or not at all if your hungry) stirring as needed to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Cook your favorite noodles, or heat up some chickpeas, toss the noodles on top, and sprinkle with Parmesan or a cheese of choice.

Meaty Meatballs

1 lb Hamburger
    1 lb Italian sausage
    1/3 container of Italian seasoning
    2 tbls of minced garlic

Mix it all together. Toss it in your skillet, preferably immediately following your veggies for spaghetti, medium heat, flip as needed to cook all sides. Set to the side or add to the sauce if no one minds the meat. Add cheese to them before mixing if you want to get fancy.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Samhain/Halloween Tea
    (Or, what to do with all the pumpkin bits from making jack'o'lanterns...but not the squidgy parts)

All the pumpkin bits from the eyes, etc. OR 1/4 of a small pie pumpkin: Steam the pumpkin bits or quartered pie pumpkin (I do this in a microwave) til tender but still firm (your pumpkin should not be mashable), remove and allow to cool, remove the fleshy parts and finely dice
    1-2 granny smith or otherwise tart apples OR the peel from 5-6 apples (such as if you were concurrently making pies): Finely dice apples or apple peel (I like the apple peel method if I'm not using the cores and peels to ferment)
    Peel from 1-2 oranges: Cut into small pieces
    Dry the apple and pumpkin and orange peel: Place the pumpkin and apple bits on parchement paper or a silicone baking mat and dry in the oven OR dry in a dehydrator.

Option 1: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cloves, Cardamom--Combine and coarsley grind...I don't have a precise measurement for these, but I usually toss in 2 cinnamon sticks, 5-6 cloves, 1-2 allspice berries, 5-6 cardamom cloves, and 1/2 a nutmeg
    Combine the ground spices with candied ginger: Finely slice candied ginger into pieces about the size of slivered almonds...maybe about a handful

Option 2:
    Buy some pumpkin pie spice or make your own using ground spices (I really don't like this as much because they are ground to finely, but I admit its easier)

Mix the dried pumpkin, dried apple, ground spices and sliced candied ginger with am equal amount of tea leaves (I like to use Earl Grey). Place in an airtight container and store in a dark cool place until its gone. Prepare like tea when you want to drink.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Taken from Serious Eats....literally my favourite meal.

Ful Mudhammas

Ingredients
    3 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds, freshly toasted
    Kosher salt
    2 (15-ounce) cans fava beans
    3 tablespoons tahini
    2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice from 2 lemons, or more to taste

Directions
    Put garlic cloves, cumin seeds, and a pinch of salt in a mortar and pestle and crush until seeds are cracked and garlic is in small, flimsy chunks. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, mince garlic very fine.

Empty fava beans (with liquid) into a medium saucepan and combine with tahini and garlic paste. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until liquid retains some brothiness but turns thick and sauce-like, about 5 minutes.

Add lemon juice and salt to taste. Mash one third of the beans with a potato masher to thicken if desired, then serve with toasted pita.

- - - Updated - - -

Paleo Maple Pecan Shortbread (v, gf, grain-free)

INGREDIENTS
    2 cups almond flour/meal
    ½ cup chopped raw pecans
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch sea salt
    ¼ cup pure maple syrup
    ¼ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
    In a mixing bowl, add first four ingredients and stir together. Add the remaining (wet ingredients) and mix until a sticky dough forms.

Make a ball out of the dough, pressing it together, then place it on a sheet of plastic wrap and form a cylinder or a log (the log will be over a foot long, so if you'd like, you can cut it in two so that the logs are easier to manage/less delicate). Wrap the log tightly in the plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Unwrap the cookie dough, place it on a cutting board, and slice 1/4-inch thick slices to form cookie shapes. Place dough on a baking sheet and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

Remove cookies from the oven, and allow them to sit 15 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet with a spatula.
    Last edited by volcaniclastic; 06 May 2019 at 18:24.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.