Info on demonolatry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on demonolatry

I'm trying to find information on forms of demonolatry that don't involve Satan or Satanism. I heard somewhere that such exists. Does it? Can anyone provide me with any sources or information on it?

I'm interested in Satanism generally but just wondering if demonolatry is always connected to that.

Re: Info on demonolatry

I found this site:

https://occult-study.org/basics-of-demonolatry/

Thought it might be useful for you.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
      I found this site:

https://occult-study.org/basics-of-demonolatry/

Thought it might be useful for you.
      Yes, thank you. I was reading that today. It says that traditional demonolaters are not Satanists but that they view Satan as the All. But would that not be a form of Satanism -- to personify the All with Satanic imagery? I don't know -- just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
        Yes, thank you. I was reading that today. It says that traditional demonolaters are not Satanists but that they view Satan as the All. But would that not be a form of Satanism -- to personify the All with Satanic imagery? I don't know -- just asking.
        It depends on the perspective you have when working with the demons (i.e.: If you work alongside them or for them, it's akin to demonolatry and similar to satanic witchcraft. On the opposite side, if you try to bind the demons to do your bidding against their will, it's more akin to judeochristian witchcraft). Demonolatry is quite literally the worship of demons. Demons are Devils. Devil worshiping can be associated with Satanism but it isn't a requirement. Depends on how broad you want to define what Satanism is.

Comment

It depends on the perspective you have when working with the demons (i.e.: If you work alongside them or for them, it's akin to demonolatry and similar to satanic witchcraft. On the opposite side, if you try to bind the demons to do your bidding against their will, it's more akin to judeochristian witchcraft). Demonolatry is quite literally the worship of demons. Demons are Devils. Devil worshiping can be associated with Satanism but it isn't a requirement. Depends on how broad you want to define what Satanism is.
          Sean, isn't their also a belief that demons are just gods who were demonified by Christianity or other belief systems?
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
            Sean, isn't their also a belief that demons are just gods who were demonified by Christianity or other belief systems?
            Yeah, but it is something that is, or not believed by all demonolators, and Satanists too. So it's not a very good way to differentiate both, as they both can have similar views in that specific area.

Comment

I'm trying to find information on forms of demonolatry that don't involve Satan or Satanism. I heard somewhere that such exists. Does it? Can anyone provide me with any sources or information on it?

I'm interested in Satanism generally but just wondering if demonolatry is always connected to that.
              The short answer is no, Satanism and Demonolatry are not always connected. And yes, You can be involved in Demonolatry without being involved with Satanism.

Demonolatry and Satan is a tricky topic... when I was active in the online Demonolatry community, most of the Demonolators that I knew were fairly adamant that we were not Satanists, yet Satan figured in many of the personal primary pantheons as the supreme Divine/Spirit/All/whatever. But you didn't work directly with Satan and the relationship was very different than the relationship with the Demons. So while Satan is there for many Demonolators, He is not a large or active part of the path, if that makes sense? So you can absolutely 100% be a Demonolator and not be a Satanist (I am, though Demonolatry is not my primary spiritual focus these days).

So... there's actually a fair bit of misconception within the various communities about what each other actually are and what each other believes. There are some underlying similarities and common concepts that tie Satanists and Demonolators together (just like there are some that tie Satanists and Luciferians together)... but there are just as many differences. The thing to remember is that Satan the deity/entity is not necessarily the central theme/focus of most forms of any of these paths. So you can't use belief in Him as defining factor for any LHP (yes, even Satanism). Demonolators tend to include Satan as the 'All', but that doesn't necessarily translate into anything meaningful for them in practice. Theistic Satanists do tend to believe in Satan as a primary deity and may work with Him or worship him in some significant manner. They may also work with other entities (even Demons) in a lesser or equal capacity. But non-Theistic Satanism is different, and some Satanists are atheists and don't consider Satan to be 'real' at all. So it's hard enough to lump all Satanists in the same category, let alone lump Demonolators in with them too. Just because Satan seems to be a common denominator in all these paths doesn't make them intrinsically connected.

Demonolatry is quite literally the worship of demons. Demons are Devils. Devil worshiping can be associated with Satanism but it isn't a requirement. Depends on how broad you want to define what Satanism is.
              I strongly disagree with the statement that Demons are devils and the subsequent inference that Demonolatry is the same as devil worshipping. But we may have different definitions for 'devil', which would account for that.

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              Yes and no. Mostly it depends on which Demonolators you talk to and which entities their personal pantheon includes. But yes, there are a bunch of Demons who are demonized deities from other pantheons. The majority of Demons though, are not attested to in other faiths or pantheons. So They are not 'just gods who were demonified' by another belief system. Some are, most aren't.

And back to the OP and the original question... S. Connely and her buddies are the most prolific of the published Demonolatry writings, and were the leaders of the biggest online community before they took it all down. But if you'd like to contrast her writings against those of a Demonolator who IS a Satanist, then I suggest you go here: http://www.infernaldialogues.com/

Sometimes the best way to see the differences is to actually look at the two different variations directly.
              Last edited by Rae'ya; 01 May 2019, 22:39.

Comment

Yeah, but it is something that is, or not believed by all demonolators, and Satanists too. So it's not a very good way to differentiate both, as they both can have similar views in that specific area.
                Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                The short answer is no, Satanism and Demonolatry are not always connected. And yes, You can be involved in Demonolatry without being involved with Satanism.

Demonolatry and Satan is a tricky topic... when I was active in the online Demonolatry community, most of the Demonolators that I knew were fairly adamant that we were not Satanists, yet Satan figured in many of the personal primary pantheons as the supreme Divine/Spirit/All/whatever. But you didn't work directly with Satan and the relationship was very different than the relationship with the Demons. So while Satan is there for many Demonolators, He is not a large or active part of the path, if that makes sense? So you can absolutely 100% be a Demonolator and not be a Satanist (I am, though Demonolatry is not my primary spiritual focus these days).

So... there's actually a fair bit of misconception within the various communities about what each other actually are and what each other believes. There are some underlying similarities and common concepts that tie Satanists and Demonolators together (just like there are some that tie Satanists and Luciferians together)... but there are just as many differences. The thing to remember is that Satan the deity/entity is not necessarily the central theme/focus of most forms of any of these paths. So you can't use belief in Him as defining factor for any LHP (yes, even Satanism). Demonolators tend to include Satan as the 'All', but that doesn't necessarily translate into anything meaningful for them in practice. Theistic Satanists do tend to believe in Satan as a primary deity and may work with Him or worship him in some significant manner. They may also work with other entities (even Demons) in a lesser or equal capacity. But non-Theistic Satanism is different, and some Satanists are atheists and don't consider Satan to be 'real' at all. So it's hard enough to lump all Satanists in the same category, let alone lump Demonolators in with them too. Just because Satan seems to be a common denominator in all these paths doesn't make them intrinsically connected.

I strongly disagree with the statement that Demons are devils and the subsequent inference that Demonolatry is the same as devil worshipping. But we may have different definitions for 'devil', which would account for that.

Yes and no. Mostly it depends on which Demonolators you talk to and which entities their personal pantheon includes. But yes, there are a bunch of Demons who are demonized deities from other pantheons. The majority of Demons though, are not attested to in other faiths or pantheons. So They are not 'just gods who were demonified' by another belief system. Some are, most aren't.

And back to the OP and the original question... S. Connely and her buddies are the most prolific of the published Demonolatry writings, and were the leaders of the biggest online community before they took it all down. But if you'd like to contrast her writings against those of a Demonolator who IS a Satanist, then I suggest you go here: http://www.infernaldialogues.com/

Sometimes the best way to see the differences is to actually look at the two different variations directly.
                Thank you for an informative post.

Comment

Oh, when I meant quite literally, I meant by the etymology of the word itself. Also going by the "usual" definition, when someone says "a devil" they do mean a demon, hence my understanding of "a devil" and "a demon" being interchangeable. Usually when someone says devil worshipping, it means THE Devil (Satan? The Beast?), not "a devil" so its prone to heavy interpretation. But now that you mention it, I'd be VERY interested in knowing your definition/differentiation of demon vs. devil.

Comment

Oh, when I meant quite literally, I meant by the etymology of the word itself. Also going by the "usual" definition, when someone says "a devil" they do mean a demon, hence my understanding of "a devil" and "a demon" being interchangeable. Usually when someone says devil worshipping, it means THE Devil (Satan? The Beast?), not "a devil" so its prone to heavy interpretation. But now that you mention it, I'd be VERY interested in knowing your definition/differentiation of demon vs. devil.
                    I define a 'Demon' as one of the named greater entities that are considered deities or comparable in influence and significance to deities... so the Goetia, the demonized deities, Lucifer, the Four Queens, the entities of the Qliphoth and the Dukante hierarchies. They are not a single pantheon and don't all exist in the same place, but are a collection of greater entities and cthonic deities who fulfill certain roles and have certain spheres of influence.

I define a 'devil', on the other hand, as one of the lesser unnamed cthonic entities, leeches and spirits who are largely malicious but have limited influence within their own realms and ours. Some of them are quite good at name-dropping, posturing and pretending to be more influential than they really are... I think most 'possessions' come from these opportunistic little suckers rather than actual Demons... do we really think that Asmodeus and Belial are wasting Their time driving frightened Catholics mad? I don't. But possession is a whole other topic.

'The Devil'... well I think he's a construct. A lovely big egregore that's had so much energy, fear and misguided adoration fed into it that it formed it's own existence and became the entity that the fearmongers created. If you track the mentions of the ha-Satans through the holy texts, there's a fairly big gap between 'Satan' and 'The Devil'... as well as the functions that they actually serve in the various texts over time. So I don't equate The Devil with Satan at all... or Lucifer or Baphomet or any of the ba'al or ha-satan entities. The Devil is the The Devil... and his influence only goes as far as you allow it to, because he's someone else's construct.

Comment

I define a 'Demon' as one of the named greater entities that are considered deities or comparable in influence and significance to deities... so the Goetia, the demonized deities, Lucifer, the Four Queens, the entities of the Qliphoth and the Dukante hierarchies. They are not a single pantheon and don't all exist in the same place, but are a collection of greater entities and cthonic deities who fulfill certain roles and have certain spheres of influence.

I define a 'devil', on the other hand, as one of the lesser unnamed cthonic entities, leeches and spirits who are largely malicious but have limited influence within their own realms and ours. Some of them are quite good at name-dropping, posturing and pretending to be more influential than they really are... I think most 'possessions' come from these opportunistic little suckers rather than actual Demons... do we really think that Asmodeus and Belial are wasting Their time driving frightened Catholics mad? I don't. But possession is a whole other topic.

'The Devil'... well I think he's a construct. A lovely big egregore that's had so much energy, fear and misguided adoration fed into it that it formed it's own existence and became the entity that the fearmongers created. If you track the mentions of the ha-Satans through the holy texts, there's a fairly big gap between 'Satan' and 'The Devil'... as well as the functions that they actually serve in the various texts over time. So I don't equate The Devil with Satan at all... or Lucifer or Baphomet or any of the ba'al or ha-satan entities. The Devil is the The Devil... and his influence only goes as far as you allow it to, because he's someone else's construct.
                      I am planning on reading the book linked to in the thread for more information, but I would like to ask this: are the demons mostly Judeo-Christian or are a good number of them pagan?

Comment

I am planning on reading the book linked to in the thread for more information, but I would like to ask this: are the demons mostly Judeo-Christian or are a good number of them pagan?
                        So this is where things get really interesting... most of the Demons who appear to be of Abrahamic origin actually pre-date monotheistic Judeo-Christian paths. Judaism has a rich history of entities and occult practices that go waaaay back prior to the birth of modern monotheistic Judaism. So there's an argument to be made that Demonolatry returns us to ancient deities that pre-date what we now know as 'Judeo-Christian' or even the expanded Abrahamic unmbrella. Except that there are ALSO Demons who rose through the ranks after modern Judaism and Christianity. And there are some Demons who were adopted from other pantheons. And some that are not attested to in the any ancient texts except for personal grimoires. So there is a fairly healthy mixture... enough for me to feel confident saying that Demonolatry is not a Judeo-Christian sequelae.

Comment

So this is where things get really interesting... most of the Demons who appear to be of Abrahamic origin actually pre-date monotheistic Judeo-Christian paths. Judaism has a rich history of entities and occult practices that go waaaay back prior to the birth of modern monotheistic Judaism. So there's an argument to be made that Demonolatry returns us to ancient deities that pre-date what we now know as 'Judeo-Christian' or even the expanded Abrahamic unmbrella. Except that there are ALSO Demons who rose through the ranks after modern Judaism and Christianity. And there are some Demons who were adopted from other pantheons. And some that are not attested to in the any ancient texts except for personal grimoires. So there is a fairly healthy mixture... enough for me to feel confident saying that Demonolatry is not a Judeo-Christian sequelae.
                          Are there any you suggest working with? I am exploring options for expanding my pantheon and also experimenting with working with hellenic gods.

Comment

Are there any you suggest working with? I am exploring options for expanding my pantheon and also experimenting with working with hellenic gods.
                            That depends entirely on what your intentions are and who you resonate with.

Comment

That depends entirely on what your intentions are and who you resonate with.
                              To start out with, do you know of any that are friendly?

Comment

Working...
                              X