Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Info on demonolatry

Apr 2019
    Religion
    Cultural&EsotericEpiscopalian + MyOwnRites + working on Hellenistic path

Re: Info on demonolatry

Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    I define a 'Demon' as one of the named greater entities that are considered deities or comparable in influence and significance to deities... so the Goetia, the demonized deities, Lucifer, the Four Queens, the entities of the Qliphoth and the Dukante hierarchies. They are not a single pantheon and don't all exist in the same place, but are a collection of greater entities and cthonic deities who fulfill certain roles and have certain spheres of influence.

I define a 'devil', on the other hand, as one of the lesser unnamed cthonic entities, leeches and spirits who are largely malicious but have limited influence within their own realms and ours. Some of them are quite good at name-dropping, posturing and pretending to be more influential than they really are... I think most 'possessions' come from these opportunistic little suckers rather than actual Demons... do we really think that Asmodeus and Belial are wasting Their time driving frightened Catholics mad? I don't. But possession is a whole other topic.

'The Devil'... well I think he's a construct. A lovely big egregore that's had so much energy, fear and misguided adoration fed into it that it formed it's own existence and became the entity that the fearmongers created. If you track the mentions of the ha-Satans through the holy texts, there's a fairly big gap between 'Satan' and 'The Devil'... as well as the functions that they actually serve in the various texts over time. So I don't equate The Devil with Satan at all... or Lucifer or Baphomet or any of the ba'al or ha-satan entities. The Devil is the The Devil... and his influence only goes as far as you allow it to, because he's someone else's construct.
    I am planning on reading the book linked to in the thread for more information, but I would like to ask this: are the demons mostly Judeo-Christian or are a good number of them pagan?

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I am planning on reading the book linked to in the thread for more information, but I would like to ask this: are the demons mostly Judeo-Christian or are a good number of them pagan?
    So this is where things get really interesting... most of the Demons who appear to be of Abrahamic origin actually pre-date monotheistic Judeo-Christian paths. Judaism has a rich history of entities and occult practices that go waaaay back prior to the birth of modern monotheistic Judaism. So there's an argument to be made that Demonolatry returns us to ancient deities that pre-date what we now know as 'Judeo-Christian' or even the expanded Abrahamic unmbrella. Except that there are ALSO Demons who rose through the ranks after modern Judaism and Christianity. And there are some Demons who were adopted from other pantheons. And some that are not attested to in the any ancient texts except for personal grimoires. So there is a fairly healthy mixture... enough for me to feel confident saying that Demonolatry is not a Judeo-Christian sequelae.

Apr 2019
    Religion

So this is where things get really interesting... most of the Demons who appear to be of Abrahamic origin actually pre-date monotheistic Judeo-Christian paths. Judaism has a rich history of entities and occult practices that go waaaay back prior to the birth of modern monotheistic Judaism. So there's an argument to be made that Demonolatry returns us to ancient deities that pre-date what we now know as 'Judeo-Christian' or even the expanded Abrahamic unmbrella. Except that there are ALSO Demons who rose through the ranks after modern Judaism and Christianity. And there are some Demons who were adopted from other pantheons. And some that are not attested to in the any ancient texts except for personal grimoires. So there is a fairly healthy mixture... enough for me to feel confident saying that Demonolatry is not a Judeo-Christian sequelae.
    Are there any you suggest working with? I am exploring options for expanding my pantheon and also experimenting with working with hellenic gods.

Jun 2013
    Religion

Are there any you suggest working with? I am exploring options for expanding my pantheon and also experimenting with working with hellenic gods.
    That depends entirely on what your intentions are and who you resonate with.

Apr 2019
    Religion

That depends entirely on what your intentions are and who you resonate with.
    To start out with, do you know of any that are friendly?

Jun 2013
    Religion

To start out with, do you know of any that are friendly?
    Well, 'friendly' is a relative term! One of the easiest places to start is the Goetia, as information on Them is readily available and it's easy to learn who may be able to help with what sort of purpose. Just remember that most of the literature we have on the Goetia was written by Christian priests and mystics... so ignore the 'methods' and just read the descriptions. The sigils can be useful to help connect with the Demon, as long as you remember that you are opening communication lines with that specific entity, NOT aiming to summon or bind Them!

The main thing is to treat Them with respect. Approach them as you would any deity... with respect, humility and honesty. Remember that these entities are capable of scrambling up your energy if you offend them... but as long as you approach them respectfully, the worst you are likely to get is ignored. If your interest is genuine and respectful and you leave your preconceived notions at the door, you are likely to have a beneficial experience.

Personally, I work closely with Barbados, but that is because we connect via my work with animals and animal spirits. Early in my adventures, some of the first Demons to respond were Halphas and Sabnach. Others may have a different experience, depending on their requirements. So I hesitate to give out a specific recommendation... because it really does depend on your needs. There aren't really any ambassadors who like to pick up stray newbies... and Demons generally expect you to earn their attention and assistance. There are no free rides or easy pathways in Demonolatry. You will need to do the initial legwork to get your foot in the door, and that typically means research and getting your own goals and expectations in order.