Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should we go?

Okay, so...

It looks like the fam will be moving over the summer to Germany (specifically, Ansbach) for 3-5 years. Those of you that live in Europe, those of you that have been to Europe, those of you with a bucket list of places to go in Europe... If you had 3-5 years to spend (remember, this includes a 40 hr a week job for both myself and the hubby and school for the kids), where would you go on weekends and holidays?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Where should we go?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Okay, so...

It looks like the fam will be moving over the summer to Germany (specifically, Ansbach) for 3-5 years. Those of you that live in Europe, those of you that have been to Europe, those of you with a bucket list of places to go in Europe... If you had 3-5 years to spend (remember, this includes a 40 hr a week job for both myself and the hubby and school for the kids), where would you go on weekends and holidays?
    Come to Denmark, and I'll show you Hamlet's castle ^^ avoid the little mermaid, it's a disappointment of epic proportions. Visit in the warmer months and you can go see the world's oldest amusement park too, it's not huge, but it's in the middle of a forest, I go there quite often.

In Germany, the Harz area is one of my favourite places in the world. Hameln is also worth a visit I think.

In the UK, Dartmoor and new forest, and Oxford. Walking the West highland way in Scotland is on my bucket list.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

There's a pagan/folk music festival in the Netherlands, at Lisse. It's 100% family friendly, in a beautiful forest with a tiny castle in the middle. Lots of stuff to do, and good music!

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
        There's a pagan/folk music festival in the Netherlands, at Lisse. It's 100% family friendly, in a beautiful forest with a tiny castle in the middle. Lots of stuff to do, and good music!
        Castlefest? We can all go and have a pf meet up there
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

The Salt Mines in Munich were pretty cool (literally). I went there with my dad and sister when I was a kid. https://www.salzbergwerk.de/en

Germany has islands on the northern end of the country. I went on a school fieldtrip to Norderney, one year. https://www.germany.travel/en/ms/roy...norderney.html "Once the summer residence of the Royal House of Hanover, now a thalassotherapy centre"

A couple of years later my class field-tripped to Switzerland for skiing.

My dad was very big into visiting castle ruins so we traveled to many of them, throughout the years I lived there. There's no shortage of them.

It will want to go to the Stone Henge some day.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I remember really loving Trier---I went while there was a music festival going on and it was so fun. I also have it noted that Rothenburg has the best hot chocolate of all the places I went to in Europe. Bruges is pretty. Interlaken in Switzerland was so amazing. I wish I had more time there.
            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Rhodes and Corfu were fantastic places to visit, but they can be a bit dominated with tourist as well. Edinburgh in Scotland was a great place to see when the Military tattoo is occurring or the festival of flowers is going on. Seem to recall the flower festival was sponsored by the Royal Botanical Garden. Spain has so many places it's hard to choice one place over another to be honest.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

My personal vote tends to be anything involving a fortress and that while it ultimately did not save France, the Maginot line is a huge set of fortifications. Hit there and at least two or three actual castles (with the relevant defensive features). If you happen to post an absurd number of pictures from said places, all the better.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I wish that I wasn't so poor currently as I would like to travel, my vacation dream list would be Greece, Macedonia, Italy, and Spain.

I would also like to visit Switzerland and Germany as both are my ancestral homelands.
                  Last edited by Pythagoras; 03 Jun 2019, 20:41.
                  "When Zeus was setting all things in order there fell from him drops of sacred blood, and from them, as they say, arose the race of men."- Flavius Claudius Iulianus Augustus

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
                    I would also like to visit Switzerland and Germany as both are my ancestral homelands.
                    Yo same, sorta. Like my grandparents immigrated from Switzerland, and my other grandparent immigrated from Sweden, so Germanic af. But the Swizz connection is rarer!
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment