Thread: Greetings from a Cemiist!

Jun 2019
    Religion
    Cemiist/ Zemiist
    Phrase
    "The Gods are not dead, they are simply dormant, waiting for the right time to awaken the world."

Cool Greetings from a Cemiist!

Hello everyone! My name is Giomar, and i am a teenaged Hispanic, and my faith is Cemiism/ Zemiism.

Now i know that many of you most likely do not know what my faith is all about, so i will give a short description, and then you guys are free to ask any questions.

Cemiism is a practice reviving the practices of the Taíno people. The Taínos are a group of Native tribal Indians hailing from the greater Antilles in the Caribbean, namely Cuba, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola (Haiti, Dominican Republic), and Jamaica.

However, when Christopher Columbus invaded these islands, despite the Tainos being exceptionally friendly and welcoming, he took advantage and decimated nearly the entire native population (like he did to the Aztecs, Mayans, etc)

Today, Most people of these countries have Taíno blood, but it is mixed with other races as well, like in the three Hispanic Islands (Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic), the populations' blood is a mixture of the natives, blood from Spain, and from the Africans that were brought via the slave trade.

Thus, this movement is highly linked to the revival of a Culture destroyed, and such many of its practitioners are people hailing from these islands or who has relation to them (that's not to say people of other races can't practice it)

Belief wise, it is a Polytheistic religion, believing in many lesser deities and two main deities, Yucahú, who is the creator of the world, and God of Yuca, the main crop of the Taínos, and a food which is really popular where i'm from (it's really yummy ) and, Yucahús' mother Atabey, the mother Goddess, who prevails over flat water surfaces, such as lakes, rivers, and the ocean.

Ancestors are also very important in this faith as well. They are called Huipas, or Cemi. Cemis are also the name of both the Gods, spirits, and the object representing a certain God, like an idol.

Some deities also have different manifestations. I don't know many of the manifestations, but i do know the ones of Atabey, Caguana, the spirit of love, and Guabancex, the violent face of Atabey, often referred to as a separate Goddess as well, who controls Hurricanes and many of other natural disasters.

Her presence was announced by Guataúba, the God of lighting, thunder, and destruction, and she was entrusted to the maintenance of a mythical land known as Aumatex.

Well, that is all, thank you all for reading, and don't hesitate to ask questions! I'm no Cacique (Taíno word for chief), but i'll try my best to answer your questions!
    Last edited by PorLosDioses787; 10 Jun 2019 at 01:37.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Re: Greetings from a Cemiist!

Wow I never heard of that believe system before. Interesting and welcome to Pagan Forum.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Very interesting. Welcome to the forum!
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Hello and welcome to PF!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Welcome to the forum! I actually have heard of this religion. One of my friends is from Puerto Rico and talks about the native beliefs. As she's described it to me, there's a lot of syncretism between the island beliefs, and the imported African and Christian ones. Similar to Santeria and other diasporic religions, she describes it as a combination of foreign integration and continuation of the ancient traditions. When chatting, she's actually named some Lwa in the descriptions, but overall we haven't talked a lot about specifics. It seems like a very difficult faith to reconstruct. I'd love to hear more about it, and get new perspectives.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Jun 2019
    Religion
    Cemiist/ Zemiist
    Phrase
    "The Gods are not dead, they are simply dormant, waiting for the right time to awaken the world."

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I actually have heard of this religion. One of my friends is from Puerto Rico and talks about the native beliefs. As she's described it to me, there's a lot of syncretism between the island beliefs, and the imported African and Christian ones. Similar to Santeria and other diasporic religions, she describes it as a combination of foreign integration and continuation of the ancient traditions. When chatting, she's actually named some Lwa in the descriptions, but overall we haven't talked a lot about specifics. It seems like a very difficult faith to reconstruct. I'd love to hear more about it, and get new perspectives.
    Yes, it is kind of difficult to reconstruct because almost all of their practices were decimated by the spanish. The little information we do know is by the Spanish themselves. There are probably numerous unnamed gods, concepts, rituals, etc. but overall, i just let my ancestors guide me, along with the mother goddess, Atabey and the other Gods. I do enough to please them, and i give offerings and make rituals that i feel please them. It is kind of like any reconstrucionist religion, no one i really worshipping the Gods the way they originally were in the past, this is true for Kemetics, those who practice Hellenismos, And of the aztec reconstruction faith (of which i'm taking an interest in)
    As for the syncretism, that's actually the first time i've heard of that actually. Tbh, i prefer to follow just one path instead of multiple Gods at once, but thats just me lol.
    Last edited by PorLosDioses787; 11 Jun 2019 at 17:15.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

Welcome! I look forward to reading more about your faith!
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Quote Originally Posted by PorLosDioses787 View Post
    As for the syncretism, that's actually the first time i've heard of that actually. Tbh, i prefer to follow just one path instead of multiple Gods at once, but thats just me lol.
    I think you're misunderstanding what syncretism is. The idea is that x gods and y gods are the same gods, or else that it is a fusion of them which creates a new type of religion. The Romans' habit of describing the native gods of their people using Roman names is a prime example. It isn't that they were following multiple pantheons, because logically that doesn't make sense. Their understanding was that gods were real, and thus they may choose to reveal themselves in different ways to different people.

In terms of fusion, this happens throughout the new world. Africans would worship their old gods at the foot of saint icons, finding those with similar symbolism or themes, and over time their common attributes would grow as Catholicism bled in. This is especially common in regions which have been colonized, invaded, or otherwise had a foreign power forced over the native culture. It happens throughout the Mediterranean as gods migrate also. This isn't even to ask why having multiple gods in a polytheist faith would be a problem.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Jun 2019
    Religion
    Cemiist/ Zemiist
    Phrase

Oh sorry, i misread what you said in your post.
    I thought you said your friend practiced the native beliefs alongside Santeria and Vodou, when you mentioned the Lwa.
    That's what i meant by following Gods from on path, not from multiple paths at once lol, sory if i didn't make that clear