Disagreements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disagreements

Anubisa pointed out in the rant thread that there has been a lot of disagreement lately. Yes, it's true that have been so many disagreements in the forum and everybody have different viewpoints. There are two types of disagreements: civil disagreement and uncivil disagreements. Civil disagreement is people who don't agree without name-calling and attacking each other verbally. Uncivil disagree is people who disagree with name-calling and attack each other verbally. So it normal to have a disagreement and it happens to every internet forum and social media. So what does everybody else think about disagreements. What's your views on this topic?

Re: Disagreements

I think that it is normal to have disagreement in a forum. That is why it is called a forum. In ancient times forums were where places of political and social debates. So there is bound to be disagreement. What I don't like is the tone. Because even if you are being civil you can tell through the post the tone of what people are saying through their post. I don't think it's bad to have disagreements, it's just the way we participate in them.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
      I think that it is normal to have a disagreement in a forum. That is why it is called a forum. In ancient times forums were where places of political and social debates. So there is bound to be disagreement. What I don't like is the tone. Because even if you are being civil you can tell through the post the tone of what people are saying through their post. I don't think it's bad to have disagreements, it's just the way we participate in them.
      Yeah, disagreements do happen in forums and not just the internet, it happens in real life too.

Comment

My personal take on things is that discussion can take place without things escalating into name-calling or flaming. There's a certain level of maturity involved in two adults being able to disagree (or agree to disagree) about a topic in a diplomatic and intelligent way.

When people start swearing or taking low blows, I tend to bow out of the conversation. I can't handle immaturity or people who aren't able to control themselves or speak intelligently.

Comment

Discord comes part and parcel with being human. The forum has regulations to control how much discord we deal with but humans in quantities greater than one breed disagreements. If the civility falls too far then you'll see colored text show up at some point (staff aren't eternally omnipresent so reaction times are variable).

As a cautionary note, text does not easily or accurately convey tone without serious effort. It is relatively easy to read tones that aren't there and/or miss tones that are. This has lead at various times over the years to the strange discussions in staff when I turn on the orbital ban lasers (ban hammers imply physical labor, I'm lazy) and Juni says, "There isn't an actual problem there. Turn of the orbital doom grid."
          "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
          ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
            My personal take on things is that discussion can take place without things escalating into name-calling or flaming. There's a certain level of maturity involved in two adults being able to disagree (or agree to disagree) about a topic in a diplomatic and intelligent way.

When people start swearing or taking low blows, I tend to bow out of the conversation. I can't handle immaturity or people who aren't able to control themselves or speak intelligently.
            I agree maturity plays a huge factor of opinions.

Comment

I literally come here to be challenged and have disagreements and learn from them and others. It's fun. I pick fights regularly to challenge myself.
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                Discord comes part and parcel with being human. The forum has regulations to control how much discord we deal with but humans in quantities greater than one breed disagreements. If the civility falls too far then you'll see colored text show up at some point (staff aren't eternally omnipresent so reaction times are variable).

As a cautionary note, text does not easily or accurately convey tone without serious effort. It is relatively easy to read tones that aren't there and/or miss tones that are. This has lead at various times over the years to the strange discussions in staff when I turn on the orbital ban lasers (ban hammers imply physical labor, I'm lazy) and Juni says, "There isn't an actual problem there. Turn of the orbital doom grid."
                Yes. You do a pretty good job settling an argument.

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                I literally come here to be challenged and have disagreements and learn from them and others. It's fun. I pick fights regularly to challenge myself.
                To me, I tend not to fight overr mundane topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                  To me, I tend not to fight overr mundane topics.
                  If you're not debating the mundane, what is there to argue about?
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                    If you're not debating the mundane, what is there to argue about?
                    I just don't like to argue. It always cause drama and people not speaking with each other. I just don't see the point of arguing such nonsense. But that's just me.

Comment

I think it's all just farts in a cold wind.

Speak the truth, give the evidence, think about what I say or not, exercise compassion, and how can disagreement be anything other than that of being enlightened?

The rest is all just playin' with the kids.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Disagreement is proof that we're individuals with independent thoughts. It brings advancement to the collective knowledge. I say bring in the disagreements! Let us grow and thrive through intellectual conflict and resolution.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

The problem isn't having the disagreement, its being an ass about it.
                          Last edited by thalassa; 16 Jun 2019, 02:26.
                          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Disagreeing takes a lot of patience and practise for me. I naturally want to agree with everyone to be liked and to keep things peaceful. I've found when I let myself disagree with someone, I begin to better articulate my opinion. I learn a lot about myself. It also helps to see things from all perspectives. You need light and shade to see well!

Edit:: the best disagreements I have are ones where everyone leaves with dignity in tact.
                            Last edited by Azvanna; 16 Jun 2019, 03:39.

Comment

Working...
                            X