Beginner Crystal Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner Crystal Sets

What crystals would you pick for a beginner? What would you take into consideration?

Yesterday I went to a psychic fair (yay!) and one of my friends was unable to come. She was hoping to buy some crystals, but didn't really know where to start. She has some understanding of chakras and reiki and thought that some thing along those lines would be a good place to start. I agreed and said I'd be happy to pick some for her. She gave me a budget and off I went.

- I made sure to pick one for each chakra, with options (green and pink for heart etc)
    - I picked nothing too obscure, good solid well known rocks with lots of info (like amethyst and quartz, rather than ruby zoisite)
    - I didn't just pick from the tumbled boxes, I ended up with a few bigger touch stones off the table display
    - I made sure I got the little cards for each rock so she had more starting information
    - I picked every stone with her in mind, for the type of stone, and her individual crystals
    - I avoided man made stones, I think you should start natural so your e ready for the higher frequencies etc of synthetic stones, and avoided dyes
    - I wrote up some care instructions for her, re cleansing, and also about which of her stones should avoid direct sunlight etc

So my final crystals were:
    Black Tourmaline
    Mookaite Jasper (very red one)
    Carnelian
    Golden Calcite
    Aventurine
    Rose Quartz
    Blue Calcite
    Lapis Lazuli
    Amethyst
    Clear Quartz

Tossed in some incense too!

20190616_170531.jpg
    Last edited by Heka; 15 Jun 2019, 23:56.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Re: Beginner Crystal Sets

I'd have picked up some flourite (but that's just me), and some clear quartz.
    Last edited by Rick; 16 Jun 2019, 00:48.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
      I'd have picked up some flourite (but that's just me), and some clear quartz.
      Flourite and Hematite are pretty core ones I'd add, yeah (Clear Quartz is there). This set was more personal. I'd usually go Citrine over Golden Calcite too.

RIP

You cut your hair short
      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'd go with quartz, rose quartz, hematite, moonstone, amethyst, lapis, sodalite, adventurine, citrine, tiger's eye, amber, carnelian, jade, flourite, snowflake obaidian, red jasper, and tree agate.
        Last edited by thalassa; 16 Jun 2019, 02:43.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

What do you do with a crystal set? Very beginner here.
          Last edited by Azvanna; 16 Jun 2019, 03:46.

Comment

I got one of those hearts that have little chocolates in them one year and filled it with crystals, then labeled the lid with what they were. Now we have craft boxes with clear lids. Some of my go tos are amethyst, citrine, quartz, and hematite.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I'd go with quartz, rose quartz, hematite, moonstone, amethyst, lapis, sodalite, adventurine, citrine, tiger's eye, amber, carnelian, jade, flourite, snowflake obaidian, red jasper, and tree agate.
              Ya know, I don't have a tree agate. I have about 200 rocks, and I don't have a tree agate. Wth

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
              Lots of things! And I guess what you want to use them for determines what you get (e.g. my friend who wants to work with chakras got a chakra adjacent set). For me it's all energy work, and creates a tangability to that energy. Working with the crystals for a purpose (protection, health, psychic attunement, whatever). Can be a bit sympathetic magick-y, ie using stones to represent things, to channel specific energys (back to energy work). But pretty much anything. If you want to do it, there's a rock for it lol

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              I got one of those hearts that have little chocolates in them one year and filled it with crystals, then labeled the lid with what they were. Now we have craft boxes with clear lids. Some of my go tos are amethyst, citrine, quartz, and hematite.
              Funny you should say that, all my tumbled stones live in an old "chocolate poker set" box haha
              Last edited by Heka; 16 Jun 2019, 15:56.

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

For beginners I would pick well-known stones that are easy to find info on and that are typically 'gentle' and easy to connect with. Now obviously that last bit will depend on the individual, but any of the quartz family is a good place to start, including the jaspers and agates. I especially like clear quartz, smokey quartz, rose quartz, hematite, carnelian, red jasper, blue lace agate and black tourmaline for beginners. I like moonstones and calcites for kids.

For a complete beginner's chakra set I would pick colour matched stones, but for someone who had chakra experience there are some non-color matched stones that I'd pick instead (hematite or smokey quartz for the base chakra instead of red jasper, for instance). It would also depend on the person though, and their primary needs... hematite would give quite a different base chakra experience than red jasper, but some people need that extra stability while others need that motivating push.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                  Lots of stuff! Rocks have an energy, just like everything else (they are made up of vibrating atoms too!), and semiprecious rocks have the added advantage of colour vibrations that people can very easily tap into. A very basic exercise with stones is to stick one in your bra to help regulate your energy throughout the day. Do you need more confidence... carry a carnelian around and hold it when you start feeling small. Need to get your head out of the clouds... nothing will ground you more thoroughly then a chunk of hematite. Touching them and looking at them helps align your energetic vibrations to theirs, and there are some stones that are pretty good at transmuting environmental energies. Is there science behind it... no, but there's no science behind incense or aromatherapy either. For the real skeptics, you could argue placebo, mindfulness or archetypal connections via culturally driven colour correspondences. They are also an easy and low-key tool to add into spells and rituals... they don't smell, you don't have to set anything on fire, they are completely reusable and there is a whole swathe of non-pagan and non-spiritual people who collect stones just because they are pretty... so it's easy to carry stones around if you aren't openly pagan.

Personally, I use my stones for pretty much everything. I carry them around in my bra, I wear them as jewelry, I involve them in ritual, I add them to spells, I make charms out of them, I gift them to people, I take them all out and admire them, I add them to ritual tools, I carve them with bindrunes, I've used them as spirit vessels... the list goes on. I got my first stones well before I was officially pagan, and those two little rocks are still among my favourites.

Comment

I'm trying to be more deliberate in my crystal use. A gf came round and helped me cleanse and charge and put a few to work. Trying to maintain it atm

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Somewhat on topic, I just bought a bunch of candle quartz and adventurine prayer beads.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        Somewhat on topic, I just bought a bunch of candle quartz and adventurine prayer beads.
                        Oooo pretty.

My random acquisitions from the fair were a "fairy stone" from Canada I think (kinda looks like poured concrete lol) and a Shiva Lingam (so?)

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          Oooo pretty.

My random acquisitions from the fair were a "fairy stone" from Canada I think (kinda looks like poured concrete lol) and a Shiva Lingam (so?)
                          A fairy stone from Canada? Whaaaaaat is that?

And Shiva lingam stones are so cool looking!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            A fairy stone from Canada? Whaaaaaat is that?

And Shiva lingam stones are so cool looking!
                            Literally never heard of them, so naturally I had to get one

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment