People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Who's attacking you? I don't see anyone attacking anyone. Just people stating differing opinions.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      Who's attacking you? I don't see anyone attacking anyone. Just people stating differing opinions.
      I'm sorry Juniper. Sometimes it comes off with these discussions like people can be a little judgmental of others opinions and I feel like if you do not agree with a person's statement, then the best thing is to agree to disagree. There shouldn't be a big production made of it.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

So... I actually do have an issue with a black Ariel. Not because they've changed her skin colour or 'ethnicity' (and I agree with the sentiment that there is no ethnicity for merfolk)... but because they are presumably going to change her hair colour. Which may seem trivial to some folks. BUT... part of what was so outstanding about the animated Ariel was that she's a redhead. A minority redhead in a world of pretty blonde and brunette princesses. And when we look at the Disney Princesses as a whole, we have diversity... they are all different, with different skin colours, ethnicities, hair colours and backgrounds. As a group they represent how okay it is to be different and diverse. As a group they celebrate diversity. Every live action film so far has chosen protagonists that are true to the animated protagonists, except this one. So now we have lost our pale carrot top princess and only have pretty blondes, brunettes and ethnic princesses. And that is my issue.

Also, I work with several natural redheads who are absolutely 100% offended that the redheaded hero of their childhood has been changed. People who were teased and bullied for being redheaded as kids, who had an animated character to look up to and relate to and dream that red hair and pale skin is beautiful. And sure, it's just a fictional character who means nothing in the grand scheme of things... and Disney have no obligation to make the live action films resemble the animated ones. But it's kinda a kick in the teeth to some folks and I support their right to be upset by the decision.

(And please lets not argue about how it is more acceptable according to the original stories blah blah blah... Cinderella arguably has Chinese origins and they didn't cast her as an Asian girl, did they?)

Comment

Mermaids are an imaginary creature. Ocean "mermaid" type creatures abound in most cultures with a sea or riverine connection. And still, they are an imaginary, made-up creature. Mermaid society is a made up phenomenon. The Little Mermaid is a story written by a dead guy about an imaginary creature that Disney turned into an animated musical that was very much a deviation from the original. To care about the skin color of an imaginary, made up creature in a made-up adaption of an adaption of a story is stupid. I don't see these people bitching that the whole thing isn't being produced in Danish. Then we can talk about "the original."

Save the outrage for Mulan. They got rid of Mushu. He's the 2nd most important character in the dang movie--the catalyst for everything she goes on to do. That movie can do without the romance and still keep the plot...but it needs the dragon.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Mermaids are an imaginary creature. Ocean "mermaid" type creatures abound in most cultures with a sea or riverine connection. And still, they are an imaginary, made-up creature. Mermaid society is a made up phenomenon. The Little Mermaid is a story written by a dead guy about an imaginary creature that Disney turned into an animated musical that was very much a deviation from the original. To care about the skin color of an imaginary, made up creature in a made-up adaption of an adaption of a story is stupid. I don't see these people bitching that the whole thing isn't being produced in Danish. Then we can talk about "the original."

Save the outrage for Mulan. They got rid of Mushu. He's the 2nd most important character in the dang movie--the catalyst for everything she goes on to do. That movie can do without the romance and still keep the plot...but it needs the dragon.
            I though Mushu was still in the live action Mulan though his presence was supposed to be greatly reduced to all most nothing. That's what some of the "reports" on the film said anyway that I had seen. But otherwise the story has been changed quite a bit from the original it seems.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Here's another thought-maybe another thread.

It's art. In fact, being the Disney version, I would argue that it falls into a category of global art. Art is meant to be explored and interpreted. Hence many, many versions of Romeo and Juliet, Pride and Prejudice and so on. Frankly, I don't really see anything wrong with a nude roller-disco version in Sanskrit. It could be a train wreck. It could be a revelation. It could be entertaining and fun. Zombie mermaids, gang mermaids, furry mermaids. Whatever.

Comment

When I heard about it, the first thing that crossed my mind was the expression "fish-belly white" (usually used somewhat jokingly to refer to a very light person with no tan in the summer), and I thought it was ironically funny to have a darker "fish" character. Other than that I don't see the big deal, except for the red hair as Rae'ya said. They should leave that alone.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I think it's awesome they are recasting Ariel as a girl of color. I know there's quite a bit of sadness that we are loosing a red haired princess and Ariel has always been my favorite princess especially as a child. However us redheads have an even more badass princess and her name is Merida! She is incredibly independent and all about controlling her own fate and guess what?!?!?!?! Her mother is alive and in her story!! And best of all a man doesn't save her.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    I think it's awesome they are recasting Ariel as a girl of color. I know there's quite a bit of sadness that we are loosing a red haired princess and Ariel has always been my favorite princess especially as a child. However us redheads have an even more badass princess and her name is Merida! She is incredibly independent and all about controlling her own fate and guess what?!?!?!?! Her mother is alive and in her story!! And best of all a man doesn't save her.
                    How is this sad? You could still see her and her red hair in the cartoon version.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                      How is this sad? You could still see her and her red hair in the cartoon version.
                      It's sad Bart because there will not be a red haired live action princess. I am more then aware I can watch the cartoon thank you very much and maybe just maybe you need to slow your roll on being so defensive all the time. As I stated I am thrilled that she has been recast to a woman of color but as a redhead I am allowed to be a little sad the red hair is gone!

As I also stated we do have a fantastic red haired princess by the name of Merida from Brave who in my opinion is way more of a role model then most Disney princess's. I'd rather be a Merida any day but as a little girl who loved Ariel because she had red hair that child side of me wishes she had red hair but change is part of life and I'm all for it especially if it means giving little girls of color a princess of their very own!
                      Last edited by kalynraye; 09 Jul 2019, 07:20.
                      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

It's sad Bart because there will not be a red haired live action princess. I am more then aware I can watch the cartoon thank you very much and maybe just maybe you need to slow your roll on being so defensive all the time. As I stated I am thrilled that she has been recast to a woman of color but as a redhead I am allowed to be a little sad the red hair is gone!

As I also stated we do have a fantastic red haired princess by the name of Merida from Brave who in my opinion is way more of a role model then most Disney princess's. I'd rather be a Merida any day but as a little girl who loved Ariel because she had red hair that child side of me wishes she had red hair but change is part of life and I'm all for it especially if it means giving little girls of color a princess of their very own!
                        I'm not being defensive and I think you and everybody else is taking this way out of proportion. It's just a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          I'm not being defensive and I think you and everybody else is taking this way out of proportion. It's just a movie.
                          "I just don't understand the logic and rationality of everybody get butthurt over a black mermaid. I don't have any problems having a black mermaid and I'm black myself. Like really? There's black mermaids in the TV Show Siren and no one didn't complain about that. But when it come to Disney. *facepalm* This whole complaining and whining is very ridiculous."

Pretty sure the person who started this thread was you, and if your not really interested in other people's opinions then don't ask for them because when you start a thread like this that's basically what you are doing.

I'm also not defensive, you asked a question and I responded.

Comment

"I just don't understand the logic and rationality of everybody get butthurt over a black mermaid. I don't have any problems having a black mermaid and I'm black myself. Like really? There's black mermaids in the TV Show Siren and no one didn't complain about that. But when it come to Disney. *facepalm* This whole complaining and whining is very ridiculous."

Pretty sure the person who started this thread was you, and if your not really interested in other people's opinions then don't ask for them because when you start a thread like this that's basically what you are doing.

I'm also not defensive, you asked a question and I responded.
                            First of all this whole thing is ridiculous and I have every right to post it. Second don't be twisting all of this on me, I don't have a problem with the black mermaid at all. Third the whole controversy is just as ridiculous as an anti-vaxxer believes that vaccination can cause autism. I lost one friend in this forum for this ridiculous controversy please don't be #2.
                            Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 09 Jul 2019, 11:15.

Comment

I don't have a problem with a dark skinned, dark haired Little Mermaid. Just as i didn't have a problem with the Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice - thought it was great. And there was one memorable version of Wuthering Heights where Heathcliff was clearly dark skinned and dark haired - something I had long suspected from reading the book.

Hollywood has, for a long time, got away with portraying foreign characters with white, English speaking actors. Even when the characters were neither white, nor, originally English speaking. All with ended up with was heavy make-up and bad accents.

Sit back, enjoy this new version of The Little Mermaid, and see how it turns out. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

P S One of my favourite games is trying to work out how famous films would sound if they were made in Wales.
                              Like Apollo 13... 'Huston? What it is, see, we got a bit of a problem.'
                              May not make sense to you, but most Welsh people think it's hysterical.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                                I don't have a problem with a dark skinned, dark haired Little Mermaid. Just as i didn't have a problem with the Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice - thought it was great. And there was one memorable version of Wuthering Heights where Heathcliff was clearly dark skinned and dark haired - something I had long suspected from reading the book.

Hollywood has, for a long time, got away with portraying foreign characters with white, English speaking actors. Even when the characters were neither white, nor, originally English speaking. All with ended up with was heavy make-up and bad accents.

Sit back, enjoy this new version of The Little Mermaid, and see how it turns out. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

P S One of my favourite games is trying to work out how famous films would sound if they were made in Wales.
                                Like Apollo 13... 'Huston? What it is, see, we got a bit of a problem.'
                                May not make sense to you, but most Welsh people think it's hysterical.
                                I think people need to be more upset about putting immigrants in cages at US camps also separating kids from families rather than a movie especially a cartoon movie that going to be live action.

Comment

Working...
                                X