People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

I just don't understand the logic and rationality of everybody get butthurt over a black mermaid. I don't have any problems having a black mermaid and I'm black myself. Like really? There's black mermaids in the TV Show Siren and no one didn't complain about that. But when it come to Disney. *facepalm* This whole complaining and whining is very ridiculous.

Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just don't understand the logic and rationality of everybody get butthurt over a black mermaid. I don't have any problems having a black mermaid and I'm black myself. Like really? There's black mermaids in the TV Show Siren and no one didn't complain about that. But when it come to Disney. *facepalm* This whole complaining and whining is very ridiculous.
    People are frequently dense. There was also a lot of bitching about Heimdall in Thor being black and Idris Elba did a marvelous job as Heimdall.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      People are frequently dense. There was also a lot of bitching about Heimdall in Thor being black and Idris Elba did a marvelous job as Heimdall.
      I didn't know about that. He did a very good job as Heimdall.

Comment

I feel like I'm missing something here. what black mermaid where, and why the * would that be a problem?
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
          I feel like I'm missing something here. what black mermaid where, and why the * would that be a problem?
          Because people are ignorant and prejudice against black mermaids.

Comment

NO people are against Ariel the Little Mermaid being black since she is based upon Nordic lore and a white character with red hair. People get pissed when other character's are white washed and have their ethnicity changed that is the point but going the other way to make character's diverse suddenly is ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think Heimdall could be changed because he was not a central character to the storyline. So there was some give in the story and ability to change the ethnicity of his character without drastically changing his character's presence in the story. With the Little Mermaid changing her ethnicity changes the whole complexity of the story and her place within it as well as the whole structure of the backstory as a cultural influence.
            Last edited by monsno_leedra; 06 Jul 2019, 15:11.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              NO people are against Ariel the Little Mermaid being black since she is based upon Nordic lore and a white character with red hair. People get pissed when other character's are white washed and have their ethnicity changed that is the point but going the other way to make character's diverse suddenly is ok.
              I really don't see any problem with a black mermaid. If Disney want a black mermaid, they should do it.

Comment

I really don't see any problem with a black mermaid. If Disney want a black mermaid, they should do it.
                Realistically by that logic then The Princess and the Frog which is all based upon African characters and story telling should be changed to Caucasian character's because the African influence and importance of that heritage doesn't matter either. That and the strong female character of Tiana should be about a White woman and not an African woman after all why should it matter don't need original strong African Character's.

Comment

Realistically by that logic then The Princess and the Frog which is all based upon African characters and story telling should be changed to Caucasian character's because the African influence and importance of that heritage doesn't matter either. That and the strong female character of Tiana should be about a White woman and not an African woman, after all,l, why should it matter don't need original strong African Character's.
                  I can't believe what I'm hearing. So you're saying that Disney only use Caucasian characters in their movies and TV shows but not diversitying other races because they think that is not good for their business. That's is very narrow-minded and prejudicial statement you made Monsno and I'm very disappointed and offended about that.

Comment

I can't believe what I'm hearing. So you're saying that Disney only use Caucasian characters in their movies and TV shows but not diversitying other races because they think that is not good for their business. That's is very narrow-minded and prejudicial statement you made Monsno and I'm very disappointed and offended about that.
                    Narrow minded not hardly. I'm not the one calling for taking a character that comes from a Nordic heritage has 3 movies with a white character with red hair and saying "Oh let make her black now to be diversified" just because. But hey, every little girl out there, black, white, yellow, red what ever color will know that Ariel has always been white with red hair but suddenly is now black and think this is supposed to be diversity just because it goes against every cartoon they've ever seen, every toy they've ever owned, every special they've ever seen, every sing-a-long they've ever sang-a-long with.

Bull crap read what I wrote and think about the crap your pushing in regards to black washing things in the name of diversity versus all the crap that goes down in the name of white washing all those roles. You don't need to black wash existing roles their are enough tales, stories and fables out there to make new ones and introduce new ones.

Black washing pre-existing roles only serves to show they are to lazy to do it and expect basically blacks to be to stupid to see it as anything but that. But congratulations if you support and buy it, then they don't have to try real hard to sell it or actually show you have a higher heritage to call upon. Just black wash some other White European heritage. But hell that's what Native American's and Asian's have been fighting trying to get their heritage's back and actually show their heritages in movies and cartoon's that why so much hell was raised about Moana actually being Asian Pacific in how she was displayed and not simply white washed.

But yeah,, go for Ariel being black washed no one will ever know the difference will they there never were any mermaids in typical African Lore.

Comment

It sounds like you are prejudice against diversity and fear of change of by your own prejudice and ignorance coming out of your mouth. But you know what I really don't care what your viewpoints are it's pretty obvious and clear what I said don't mean anything to you because I'm too inferior to voice my truth all because of my color of my skin.
                      Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 06 Jul 2019, 15:56.

Comment

BMH diversity is not taking an existing character and changing its existing ethnicity it's adding new characters and expanding the presence of alternative characters and opportunities for their existence within the created universes. Simply changing existing characters to make them appear to be something else is washing them so they seem to be something they are not and trying to pass that off to deceive or manipulate the audience. But it never truly introduces diversity for the audience deep down inside knows who the character really was to begin with and what their story really was and what their history really is.

So keep your bs prejudice and fear of change crap to yourself I'm not the one who is afraid nor trying to hide behind a false paint job.

Comment

BMH diversity is not taking an existing character and changing its existing ethnicity it's adding new characters and expanding the presence of alternative characters and opportunities for their existence within the created universes. Simply changing existing characters to make them appear to be something else is washing them so they seem to be something they are not and trying to pass that off to deceive or manipulate the audience. But it never truly introduces diversity for the audience deep down inside knows who the character really was to begin with and what their story really was and what their history really is.

So keep your bs prejudice and fear of change crap to yourself I'm not the one who is afraid nor trying to hide behind a false paint job.
                          Well we're no longer friends then if you really feel that way. I'm removing you out of my friends list in this forum.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think Heimdall could be changed because he was not a central character to the storyline. So there was some give in the story and ability to change the ethnicity of his character without drastically changing his character's presence in the story. With the Little Mermaid changing her ethnicity changes the whole complexity of the story and her place within it as well as the whole structure of the backstory as a cultural influence.
                            My problem here can be summed up with the simple fact that Ariel is not human prior to massive application of sorcery. Her ethnicity can be summed up as merfolk. Her culture can be summed up as merfolk. Her lineage is... merfolk. Compared to the fact that she is about as closely related to humanity as Supreme Commander Thor of the Asgard Fleet, her skin tone is effectively irrelevant. No human culture loses by changing the complexion of a mermaid and I don't see merfolk showing up to bitch about this. Now a number of people who loved the animated versions probably will be set against the change just because to them Ariel will always be white with red hair. It's on the actress to do a good enough job to win them over. It is distinctly possible to do so, I'm old enough to remember the pre Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury. Fury was white for decades but Jackson's performance was iconic.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

My problem here can be summed up with the simple fact that Ariel is not human prior to massive application of sorcery. Her ethnicity can be summed up as merfolk. Her culture can be summed up as merfolk. Her lineage is... merfolk. Compared to the fact that she is about as closely related to humanity as Supreme Commander Thor of the Asgard Fleet, her skin tone is effectively irrelevant. No human culture loses by changing the complexion of a mermaid and I don't see merfolk showing up to bitch about this. Now a number of people who loved the animated versions probably will be set against the change just because to them Ariel will always be white with red hair. It's on the actress to do a good enough job to win them over. It is distinctly possible to do so, I'm old enough to remember the pre Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury. Fury was white for decades but Jackson's performance was iconic.
                              I definitely don't have any problem with the change at all. I'm fully support it and I don't care what Monsno and everybody else have to say about it. I think everybody need to quit whining and deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X