Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I think people need to be more upset about putting immigrants in cages at US camps also separating kids from families rather than a movie especially a cartoon movie that going to be live action.
    And in general people (even the ones who disagree with this casting choice) agree with you. With that said, calm down before you actually start picking fights with people that agree with you. The vast majority of people responding to this thread either have no problem with the actress selected for this movie or have very little problem with the selection. Your handling of the issue though will start up conflicts that I will have to end and I'm not going to thank you when that happens. Let the overwhelming majority of people who approve of Disney's choice agree with you and then move on.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm not picking any fights from this. I was just expressing my honest opinion about this whole brew-ha-ha. But you know what I'm going to drop this and move on.

Comment

How is this sad? You could still see her and her red hair in the cartoon version.
        Sure I can. And I will because The Little Mermaid was always one of my favourite Disney films. But using your own logic in retort, you can watch a black mermaid in Siren, so what's the big deal?

First of all this whole thing is ridiculous and I have every right to post it. Second don't be twisting all of this on me, I don't have a problem with the black mermaid at all. Third the whole controversy is just as ridiculous as an anti-vaxxer believes that vaccination can cause autism. I lost one friend in this forum for this ridiculous controversy please don't be #2.
        Most people who are against this decision don't have a problem with black MERMAID... they're disappointed about a black ARIEL. This is not about race. It's not about mermaids. It's not about mythology or folklore or the retelling of stories. It's about an established iconic character that has been known and loved for a very long time. So it's perfectly okay for people to have an opinion that opposes yours. And it's perfectly okay for people to be shocked, disappointed, concerned or whatever. And it's equally okay for people to be apathetic or to look at the whole thing with disdain. But seeing as you have your own opinion on the matter and are the one who started the whole debate, are you admitting that you are yourself, ridiculous? Because we wouldn't be having this ridiculous argument if you hadn't bought it up. So if you aren't prepared for a healthy debate and dissenting opinions, you probably shouldn't post controversial topics and claim that they are about race when they clearly aren't.

As I also stated we do have a fantastic red haired princess by the name of Merida from Brave who in my opinion is way more of a role model then most Disney princess's. I'd rather be a Merida any day but as a little girl who loved Ariel because she had red hair that child side of me wishes she had red hair but change is part of life and I'm all for it especially if it means giving little girls of color a princess of their very own!
        They already have one. Tiana from The Princess and the Frog is a woman of colour and she is frankly the most awesome of the Disney princesses. Determined, hard working, compromising, sassy, intelligent, loyal, not at all shallow and ultimately very successful in life. All without being a brat and without throwing a single tantrum that puts her family at risk. Tiana is a good role model and I'm looking forward to THAT live action film.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          Sure I can. And I will because The Little Mermaid was always one of my favourite Disney films. But using your own logic in retort, you can watch a black mermaid in Siren, so what's the big deal?

Most people who are against this decision don't have a problem with black MERMAID... they're disappointed about a black ARIEL. This is not about race. It's not about mermaids. It's not about mythology or folklore or the retelling of stories. It's about an established iconic character that has been known and loved for a very long time. So it's perfectly okay for people to have an opinion that opposes yours. And it's perfectly okay for people to be shocked, disappointed, concerned or whatever. And it's equally okay for people to be apathetic or to look at the whole thing with disdain. But seeing as you have your own opinion on the matter and are the one who started the whole debate, are you admitting that you are yourself, ridiculous? Because we wouldn't be having this ridiculous argument if you hadn't bought it up. So if you aren't prepared for a healthy debate and dissenting opinions, you probably shouldn't post controversial topics and claim that they are about race when they clearly aren't.

They already have one. Tiana from The Princess and the Frog is a woman of colour and she is frankly the most awesome of the Disney princesses. Determined, hard working, compromising, sassy, intelligent, loyal, not at all shallow and ultimately very successful in life. All without being a brat and without throwing a single tantrum that puts her family at risk. Tiana is a good role model and I'm looking forward to THAT live action film.
          I'm not going to waste my energy arguing and debating this ridiculous controversy anymore. It seems like everybody is extremely sensitive and making a big deal for not having a black mermaid in the live action movie. I'm done here.

Comment

I think people need to be more upset about putting immigrants in cages at US camps also separating kids from families rather than a movie especially a cartoon movie that going to be live action.
            BMH - stay on track please, will you? You started this thread. I more or less agree with you and you tell me I ought to be more upset about something else.

No way to run a discussion...
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              ...Idris Elba did a marvelous job as Heimdall.
              Idris Elba could do a marvelous job of portraying a dust bunny as far as I'm concerned! :XD laugh:
              śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
              śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                Idris Elba could do a marvelous job of portraying a dust bunny as far as I'm concerned! :XD laugh:
                *Agrees*

Last edited by volcaniclastic; 10 Jul 2019, 06:15.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  ...People who were teased and bullied for being redheaded as kids, who had an animated character to look up to and relate to and dream that red hair and pale skin is beautiful. ...
                  Taking a detour off the rails for a moment... why do redheads/gingers get looked-down on? :=S: I think ginger men are absolutely stunning. Prince Harry is a hunk, I've done business with red-headed guys that made my toes curl. Red-headed women too... Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher) from Star Trek TNG, for example, is gorgeous.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Mermaids are an imaginary creature. Ocean "mermaid" type creatures abound in most cultures with a sea or riverine connection. And still, they are an imaginary, made-up creature. Mermaid society is a made up phenomenon. The Little Mermaid is a story written by a dead guy about an imaginary creature that Disney turned into an animated musical that was very much a deviation from the original. To care about the skin color of an imaginary, made up creature in a made-up adaption of an adaption of a story is stupid. I don't see these people bitching that the whole thing isn't being produced in Danish. Then we can talk about "the original."

Save the outrage for Mulan. They got rid of Mushu. He's the 2nd most important character in the dang movie--the catalyst for everything she goes on to do. That movie can do without the romance and still keep the plot...but it needs the dragon.
                  Maybe this goes to show our inability, in too many cases, to separate real life from fantasy.
                  śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                  śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

[QUOTE=Thorbjorn;244748]Taking a detour off the rails for a moment... why do redheads/gingers get looked-down on? :=S: I think ginger men are absolutely stunning. Prince Harry is a hunk, I've done business with red-headed guys that made my toes curl. Red-headed women too... Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher) from Star Trek TNG, for example, is gorgeous.

- - - Updated - - -

In northern Europe, red hair denoted kingship and some early kings actually dyed their hair to support their claims!
                    And yes, red headed men are gorgeous - Mr Penry had fiery red hair when he was younger (and I had red hair too, so we looked a bit as though we'd come from the same tribe!)
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Taking a detour off the rails for a moment... why do redheads/gingers get looked-down on? :=S: I think ginger men are absolutely stunning. Prince Harry is a hunk, I've done business with red-headed guys that made my toes curl. Red-headed women too... Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher) from Star Trek TNG, for example, is gorgeous.
                      I was under the impression it had something to do with sin and the Bible.

Mostly art.

Comment

So, do we know what hair color the new Ariel will have? I mean, people of color can have red hair too. Even naturally.
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

My boyfriend is like half-ginger. He has dark blond hair and a ginger beard. I always call him The Daywalker after the South Park episode :P

Comment

In Australia, it depends on what colour red you are. Ginger kids are teased really badly, and certainly were when I was a kid (not by me!), especially if they were also pale with freckles. Strawberry blonde and dark coppery reds don't cop it quite so badly. Age also matters... people seem to love red toddlers, but school age kids and young teens have a really hard time. Then as adults the natural redheads die their hair brown while some of us brunettes die it red! Personally I think there are some really stunning redheads, and it's a colour that ages very well as people mature. But I guess it's our experiences in our formative years that affect us the most sometimes.

Comment

This was fun to read.

I think a lot of the red head thing comes from South Park in modern culture (gingervitis), but before that, idk.

I'm a bit disappointed that Ariel is black, but tbh I'm far more scared that they're gonna screw up live-action Lion King.

and finally:
                              Red heads get Merida (way more boss b*tch)
                              Northerners get Elsa/Ana (not a great trade but it's there)
                              Blacks get Tiana (omg qween)
                              Maori/Polynesians get Moana (best. ever)
                              Asians get Mulan (i'm shook about this Mushu relevation)
                              Arabs get Jasmine (again not an amazing trade but something at least)
                              Theres a few cultures they have missed, but they're get there. Too busy making money out of live action remakes and controversy!
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                                This was fun to read.

I think a lot of the red head thing comes from South Park in modern culture (gingervitis), but before that, idk.

I'm a bit disappointed that Ariel is black, but tbh I'm far more scared that they're gonna screw up live-action Lion King.

and finally:
                                Red heads get Merida (way more boss b*tch)
                                Northerners get Elsa/Ana (not a great trade but it's there)
                                Blacks get Tiana (omg qween)
                                Maori/Polynesians get Moana (best. ever)
                                Asians get Mulan (i'm shook about this Mushu relevation)
                                Arabs get Jasmine (again not an amazing trade but something at least)
                                Theres a few cultures they have missed, but they're get there. Too busy making money out of live action remakes and controversy!
                                Plus Pochahontas. Then Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, Rapunzel and I think Vanelope counts too. And the non-princesses, most of whom are not Caucasian (Esmerelda, Alice, Lilo, Kida, the curvy chick in El Dorado and then Jane). In balance a good half of the Disney female protagonists and most of the supporting females are not white. The boys on the other hand... now that's a disappointingly boring and superficial lineup.

Comment

Working...
                                X