Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

  1. #41
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    It's sad Bart because there will not be a red haired live action princess. I am more then aware I can watch the cartoon thank you very much and maybe just maybe you need to slow your roll on being so defensive all the time. As I stated I am thrilled that she has been recast to a woman of color but as a redhead I am allowed to be a little sad the red hair is gone!

    As I also stated we do have a fantastic red haired princess by the name of Merida from Brave who in my opinion is way more of a role model then most Disney princess's. I'd rather be a Merida any day but as a little girl who loved Ariel because she had red hair that child side of me wishes she had red hair but change is part of life and I'm all for it especially if it means giving little girls of color a princess of their very own!
    I'm not being defensive and I think you and everybody else is taking this way out of proportion. It's just a movie.

  2. #42
    Supporter kalynraye's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,727
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch
    Location
    Menasha, WI

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm not being defensive and I think you and everybody else is taking this way out of proportion. It's just a movie.
    "I just don't understand the logic and rationality of everybody get butthurt over a black mermaid. I don't have any problems having a black mermaid and I'm black myself. Like really? There's black mermaids in the TV Show Siren and no one didn't complain about that. But when it come to Disney. *facepalm* This whole complaining and whining is very ridiculous."

    Pretty sure the person who started this thread was you, and if your not really interested in other people's opinions then don't ask for them because when you start a thread like this that's basically what you are doing.

    I'm also not defensive, you asked a question and I responded.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

    "Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

  3. #43
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    "I just don't understand the logic and rationality of everybody get butthurt over a black mermaid. I don't have any problems having a black mermaid and I'm black myself. Like really? There's black mermaids in the TV Show Siren and no one didn't complain about that. But when it come to Disney. *facepalm* This whole complaining and whining is very ridiculous."

    Pretty sure the person who started this thread was you, and if your not really interested in other people's opinions then don't ask for them because when you start a thread like this that's basically what you are doing.

    I'm also not defensive, you asked a question and I responded.
    First of all this whole thing is ridiculous and I have every right to post it. Second don't be twisting all of this on me, I don't have a problem with the black mermaid at all. Third the whole controversy is just as ridiculous as an anti-vaxxer believes that vaccination can cause autism. I lost one friend in this forum for this ridiculous controversy please don't be #2.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 09 Jul 2019 at 11:15.

  4. #44
    Silver Member Tylluan Penry's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,256
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Location
    South Wales Valleys, UK
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    I don't have a problem with a dark skinned, dark haired Little Mermaid. Just as i didn't have a problem with the Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice - thought it was great. And there was one memorable version of Wuthering Heights where Heathcliff was clearly dark skinned and dark haired - something I had long suspected from reading the book.

    Hollywood has, for a long time, got away with portraying foreign characters with white, English speaking actors. Even when the characters were neither white, nor, originally English speaking. All with ended up with was heavy make-up and bad accents.

    Sit back, enjoy this new version of The Little Mermaid, and see how it turns out. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

    P S One of my favourite games is trying to work out how famous films would sound if they were made in Wales.
    Like Apollo 13... 'Huston? What it is, see, we got a bit of a problem.'
    May not make sense to you, but most Welsh people think it's hysterical.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com


    Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

  5. #45
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    I don't have a problem with a dark skinned, dark haired Little Mermaid. Just as i didn't have a problem with the Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice - thought it was great. And there was one memorable version of Wuthering Heights where Heathcliff was clearly dark skinned and dark haired - something I had long suspected from reading the book.

    Hollywood has, for a long time, got away with portraying foreign characters with white, English speaking actors. Even when the characters were neither white, nor, originally English speaking. All with ended up with was heavy make-up and bad accents.

    Sit back, enjoy this new version of The Little Mermaid, and see how it turns out. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

    P S One of my favourite games is trying to work out how famous films would sound if they were made in Wales.
    Like Apollo 13... 'Huston? What it is, see, we got a bit of a problem.'
    May not make sense to you, but most Welsh people think it's hysterical.
    I think people need to be more upset about putting immigrants in cages at US camps also separating kids from families rather than a movie especially a cartoon movie that going to be live action.

  6. #46
    PF Ordo Hereticus MaskedOne's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,802
    Religion
    Jedi
    Location
    elsewhere
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I think people need to be more upset about putting immigrants in cages at US camps also separating kids from families rather than a movie especially a cartoon movie that going to be live action.
    And in general people (even the ones who disagree with this casting choice) agree with you. With that said, calm down before you actually start picking fights with people that agree with you. The vast majority of people responding to this thread either have no problem with the actress selected for this movie or have very little problem with the selection. Your handling of the issue though will start up conflicts that I will have to end and I'm not going to thank you when that happens. Let the overwhelming majority of people who approve of Disney's choice agree with you and then move on.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

    "When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

    Yoda

    Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

    "But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

    John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

    "You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

    Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis



  7. #47
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    I'm not picking any fights from this. I was just expressing my honest opinion about this whole brew-ha-ha. But you know what I'm going to drop this and move on.

  8. #48
    Opinionated Rae'ya's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,373
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    How is this sad? You could still see her and her red hair in the cartoon version.
    Sure I can. And I will because The Little Mermaid was always one of my favourite Disney films. But using your own logic in retort, you can watch a black mermaid in Siren, so what's the big deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    First of all this whole thing is ridiculous and I have every right to post it. Second don't be twisting all of this on me, I don't have a problem with the black mermaid at all. Third the whole controversy is just as ridiculous as an anti-vaxxer believes that vaccination can cause autism. I lost one friend in this forum for this ridiculous controversy please don't be #2.
    Most people who are against this decision don't have a problem with black MERMAID... they're disappointed about a black ARIEL. This is not about race. It's not about mermaids. It's not about mythology or folklore or the retelling of stories. It's about an established iconic character that has been known and loved for a very long time. So it's perfectly okay for people to have an opinion that opposes yours. And it's perfectly okay for people to be shocked, disappointed, concerned or whatever. And it's equally okay for people to be apathetic or to look at the whole thing with disdain. But seeing as you have your own opinion on the matter and are the one who started the whole debate, are you admitting that you are yourself, ridiculous? Because we wouldn't be having this ridiculous argument if you hadn't bought it up. So if you aren't prepared for a healthy debate and dissenting opinions, you probably shouldn't post controversial topics and claim that they are about race when they clearly aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    As I also stated we do have a fantastic red haired princess by the name of Merida from Brave who in my opinion is way more of a role model then most Disney princess's. I'd rather be a Merida any day but as a little girl who loved Ariel because she had red hair that child side of me wishes she had red hair but change is part of life and I'm all for it especially if it means giving little girls of color a princess of their very own!
    They already have one. Tiana from The Princess and the Frog is a woman of colour and she is frankly the most awesome of the Disney princesses. Determined, hard working, compromising, sassy, intelligent, loyal, not at all shallow and ultimately very successful in life. All without being a brat and without throwing a single tantrum that puts her family at risk. Tiana is a good role model and I'm looking forward to THAT live action film.

  9. #49
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Sure I can. And I will because The Little Mermaid was always one of my favourite Disney films. But using your own logic in retort, you can watch a black mermaid in Siren, so what's the big deal?



    Most people who are against this decision don't have a problem with black MERMAID... they're disappointed about a black ARIEL. This is not about race. It's not about mermaids. It's not about mythology or folklore or the retelling of stories. It's about an established iconic character that has been known and loved for a very long time. So it's perfectly okay for people to have an opinion that opposes yours. And it's perfectly okay for people to be shocked, disappointed, concerned or whatever. And it's equally okay for people to be apathetic or to look at the whole thing with disdain. But seeing as you have your own opinion on the matter and are the one who started the whole debate, are you admitting that you are yourself, ridiculous? Because we wouldn't be having this ridiculous argument if you hadn't bought it up. So if you aren't prepared for a healthy debate and dissenting opinions, you probably shouldn't post controversial topics and claim that they are about race when they clearly aren't.



    They already have one. Tiana from The Princess and the Frog is a woman of colour and she is frankly the most awesome of the Disney princesses. Determined, hard working, compromising, sassy, intelligent, loyal, not at all shallow and ultimately very successful in life. All without being a brat and without throwing a single tantrum that puts her family at risk. Tiana is a good role model and I'm looking forward to THAT live action film.
    I'm not going to waste my energy arguing and debating this ridiculous controversy anymore. It seems like everybody is extremely sensitive and making a big deal for not having a black mermaid in the live action movie. I'm done here.

  10. #50
    Silver Member Tylluan Penry's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,256
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Location
    South Wales Valleys, UK
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I think people need to be more upset about putting immigrants in cages at US camps also separating kids from families rather than a movie especially a cartoon movie that going to be live action.
    BMH - stay on track please, will you? You started this thread. I more or less agree with you and you tell me I ought to be more upset about something else.

    No way to run a discussion...
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com


    Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Similar Threads

  1. Is witchcraft like making soup or like making a souffle?
    By thalassa in forum Magic and Witchcraft
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24 Apr 2016, 18:09
  2. How Do You Deal With Negative People
    By Bartmanhomer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18 Apr 2016, 16:14
  3. Ways to deal with hatred
    By Tylluan Penry in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22 Sep 2015, 09:43
  4. Friendship deal breakers
    By Medusa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26 Jul 2015, 13:09
  5. Best way to deal with Nazis and the KKK
    By B. de Corbin in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 15 Nov 2012, 04:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •