X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Meg Meg Meg Meg Meg

As in Megara, princess of Thebes

Also, most snarky and bad-assed, semi-villian-turned-good female protagonist in the *only* Disney princess film where the "princess" is a boy (hello, Hercules) and the girl takes the secondary, traditionally male Disney role. Seriously, the amount of subversion in Hercules is seriously overlooked. Meg isn't "untainted goods" (hence why she owes Hades), Phil is well...a FREAKING SATYR...

Last edited by thalassa; 14 Jul 2019, 16:55.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      I was under the impression it had something to do with sin and the Bible.
      Really!? I never heard of that, but I don't doubt it.
      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Black mermaid? Somebody decided to make a crap sammich, and everybody wants to take a bite. Why?

White people's problems. Get a life - there's actual, real bad shist going on you could be getting all hot & bothered about.
        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 15 Jul 2019, 08:11.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          there's actual, real bad shist going on you could be getting all hot & bothered about.
          Sure, but that isn't what's being discussed here.

Every discussion has its place and that's what forums in general are for. Pointing out the banality of the subject compared to other things (which I personally agree with you) doesn't add anything to the discussion and could potentially undermine the efforts put towards the argumentation of the members actually participating in it.

My 2 cents: I think it's more about changing the "ethnicity" (in quotation marks, since merfolk don't necessarily have ethnicity) of an already established character. To add to that, Ariel does become human at some point, meaning she does have an established human ethnicity. Without going into the details and the folkloric context of merfolk, just the fact that the character: 1. Is established in popular culture; 2. Has a Disney canonical ethnicity; 3. Is rather Eurocentric as, according to the original film, Atlantica is near Norway; means there is clear room for controversy regarding her ethnicity.

Personally I'm not a fan of Disney, and I couldn't care less what they do with their characters, but the fact that there's controversy doesn't surprise me at all.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
            Sure, but that isn't what's being discussed here.

Every discussion has its place and that's what forums in general are for. Pointing out the banality of the subject compared to other things (which I personally agree with you) doesn't add anything to the discussion and could potentially undermine the efforts put towards the argumentation of the members actually participating in it.
            Sorry!

It seems I've damaged the integrity of this forum by stating the opinion that a debte over the color of a fantasy character is a tempest in a teapot, minus the tempest and without the teapot.

I'll try to keep my radical opinions under control.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post

My 2 cents: I think it's more about changing the "ethnicity" (in quotation marks, since merfolk don't necessarily have ethnicity) of an already established character. To add to that, Ariel does become human at some point, meaning she does have an established human ethnicity.
              Only in the absolute loosest possible sense. Ethnicity is more than just race. Being transformed into a pale redhead does not actually establish a cultural, linguistic or historic tie. It just means that you've been turned into a pale redhead. Now if the Little Mermaid was an origin myth explaining the existence of red hair in Europe and claiming that all redheads link back to this mermaid who became human then sure I'll buy this argument. Sure, she still isn't personally of the ethnic group in question except via marriage but her exact features would now be relevant in a wider context. I'm pretty sure that we aren't dealing with an origin myth here though and for a tale of love bridging massive divides, Ariel being a pale redhead is effectively redundant.

Now changing her appearance from Disney canon, sure that will annoy people. It's on the movie to sell this as a workable change. It might, it might not. I could attempt to muster up concern but I'm a Star Wars fan of over 20 years. Disney expunged the EU with a wealth of fun characters and a galaxy where you could actually see the accomplishments of the Rebel Alliance and...
              Gave me Last Jedi.

If people don't find something more compelling to ***** about than Ariel not being a pale redhead then I'm not going to exert myself finding excuses to care. Disney has a wealth of ways to screw with old canon in any of its properties and this is far lighter than what they did to SW.
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                Sorry!

It seems I've damaged the integrity of this forum by stating the opinion that a debte over the color of a fantasy character is a tempest in a teapot, minus the tempest and without the teapot.

I'll try to keep my radical opinions under control.
                Nah, the teapot is in Beauty and the Beast! Different story altogether!
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

are there already any concept art, pictures or teaser trailers for this? I'd love to see them. I probably won't have any opinion either way since I don't give any farts in space about any of the live action remakes, but I think a black skinned red haired Ariel would be super adorable, if not stunning.

Side question. Why do they give merfolk hair? They're under water. Wouldn't hair get in the way, and slow them down? Unless maybe it's just like otter or beaver fur???
                  Just saying. Even Olympic swimmers have been known to shave most of their bodies and wear caps.
                  In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

Working...
                  X