Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

  1. #11
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    It sounds like you are prejudice against diversity and fear of change of by your own prejudice and ignorance coming out of your mouth. But you know what I really don't care what your viewpoints are it's pretty obvious and clear what I said don't mean anything to you because I'm too inferior to voice my truth all because of my color of my skin.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 06 Jul 2019 at 15:56.

  2. #12
    Silver Member monsno_leedra's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,616
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Location
    West Virginia
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    BMH diversity is not taking an existing character and changing its existing ethnicity it's adding new characters and expanding the presence of alternative characters and opportunities for their existence within the created universes. Simply changing existing characters to make them appear to be something else is washing them so they seem to be something they are not and trying to pass that off to deceive or manipulate the audience. But it never truly introduces diversity for the audience deep down inside knows who the character really was to begin with and what their story really was and what their history really is.

    So keep your bs prejudice and fear of change crap to yourself I'm not the one who is afraid nor trying to hide behind a false paint job.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

  3. #13
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    BMH diversity is not taking an existing character and changing its existing ethnicity it's adding new characters and expanding the presence of alternative characters and opportunities for their existence within the created universes. Simply changing existing characters to make them appear to be something else is washing them so they seem to be something they are not and trying to pass that off to deceive or manipulate the audience. But it never truly introduces diversity for the audience deep down inside knows who the character really was to begin with and what their story really was and what their history really is.

    So keep your bs prejudice and fear of change crap to yourself I'm not the one who is afraid nor trying to hide behind a false paint job.
    Well we're no longer friends then if you really feel that way. I'm removing you out of my friends list in this forum.

  4. #14
    PF Ordo Hereticus MaskedOne's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,802
    Religion
    Jedi
    Location
    elsewhere
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    NO people are against Ariel the Little Mermaid being black since she is based upon Nordic lore and a white character with red hair. People get pissed when other character's are white washed and have their ethnicity changed that is the point but going the other way to make character's diverse suddenly is ok.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Personally I think Heimdall could be changed because he was not a central character to the storyline. So there was some give in the story and ability to change the ethnicity of his character without drastically changing his character's presence in the story. With the Little Mermaid changing her ethnicity changes the whole complexity of the story and her place within it as well as the whole structure of the backstory as a cultural influence.
    My problem here can be summed up with the simple fact that Ariel is not human prior to massive application of sorcery. Her ethnicity can be summed up as merfolk. Her culture can be summed up as merfolk. Her lineage is... merfolk. Compared to the fact that she is about as closely related to humanity as Supreme Commander Thor of the Asgard Fleet, her skin tone is effectively irrelevant. No human culture loses by changing the complexion of a mermaid and I don't see merfolk showing up to bitch about this. Now a number of people who loved the animated versions probably will be set against the change just because to them Ariel will always be white with red hair. It's on the actress to do a good enough job to win them over. It is distinctly possible to do so, I'm old enough to remember the pre Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury. Fury was white for decades but Jackson's performance was iconic.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

    "When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

    Yoda

    Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

    "But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

    John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

    "You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

    Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis



  5. #15
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    My problem here can be summed up with the simple fact that Ariel is not human prior to massive application of sorcery. Her ethnicity can be summed up as merfolk. Her culture can be summed up as merfolk. Her lineage is... merfolk. Compared to the fact that she is about as closely related to humanity as Supreme Commander Thor of the Asgard Fleet, her skin tone is effectively irrelevant. No human culture loses by changing the complexion of a mermaid and I don't see merfolk showing up to bitch about this. Now a number of people who loved the animated versions probably will be set against the change just because to them Ariel will always be white with red hair. It's on the actress to do a good enough job to win them over. It is distinctly possible to do so, I'm old enough to remember the pre Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury. Fury was white for decades but Jackson's performance was iconic.
    I definitely don't have any problem with the change at all. I'm fully support it and I don't care what Monsno and everybody else have to say about it. I think everybody need to quit whining and deal with it.

  6. #16
    Silver Member anubisa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,531
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Look, in my opinion, Disney should keep the character white. This is not because of a racial issue. It is because of the story and what Disney traditionally introduced to us as children. BMH, you were all up in arms when we were talking about Will Smith as the genie. So why is it so big that Disney make it's choices on their movies? When they make the live-action Little Mermaid, it needs to be true to the original, however, it does need to show diversification as well. I won't expect it to purely show white mermaids and mermen in the movie. However, from what I know of myth I do know that there have been asian mermaids. We just need to be calm and not judge one another and think of this in a calm manner. No judgment. It isn't our decision and if we are happy or unhappy, let it be.
    Anubisa

    Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

    Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

  7. #17

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    A- She is a mermaid. Fictional. Plenty of room for interpretation. B- Ariel's ethnicity as anything but merfolk is not in any way relevant to the plot. C- They strayed one iota from the original Disney version. It doesn't cancel out the original version. D-The movie isn't even particularly true to the original story, is that offensive? I have Danish heritage, should I be offended that Disney doesn't make them obviously Danish mermaids? The original story was written by a Dane. E- Disney's main objective is to encourage as many people to see as many movies as they can churn out, and then spend lots of money on merchandise and amusement park visits. One of they ways they do this is by getting little girls to identify with the characters. It has clearly occurred to them that this works more broadly if they have diverse looking characters. F- Or maybe, just maybe, this woman had the most charisma and acting/singing talent in a vast pool of candidates.

  8. #18
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,864
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    Look, in my opinion, Disney should keep the character white. This is not because of a racial issue. It is because of the story and what Disney traditionally introduced to us as children. BMH, you were all up in arms when we were talking about Will Smith as the genie. So why is it so big that Disney make it's choices on their movies? When they make the live-action Little Mermaid, it needs to be true to the original, however, it does need to show diversification as well. I won't expect it to purely show white mermaids and mermen in the movie. However, from what I know of myth I do know that there have been asian mermaids. We just need to be calm and not judge one another and think of this in a calm manner. No judgment. It isn't our decision and if we are happy or unhappy, let it be.
    That's different. Will Smith being genie isn't even relevant in this thread. Like I said a black mermaid is a great Idea.

  9. #19
    Moderator Azvanna's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,141
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Disney has made the right move publising this before the movie came out. We can all talk about it and get it out of our systems before the actual release date. So hopefully opening night won't be over-shadowed by shock that a character people are so familiar with has completely changed in appearance. That's all this is... shock at being jolted out of the familiar.

    When I think about the character, Ariel, I think of a girl peeling away her outter props (ie royal status and powerful father figure!) to chase after what she wants. The next time I watch the Little Mermaid it will be as a parent and I'm sure I'm going to be absolutely in a mess of tears with that whole parent letting go of the child thing happening! I love the way curiousity and its pitfalls is portrayed in the film not just through Ariel (think famous fork-comb!), but through Eric as well who is curious about Ariel but in a way that lets her be just as she is. The thing with curiousity is that in our discoveries, we can make assumptions as to how things must be and so often mistake what truly is. Eric was so focused on the sound of Ariel's voice, he mistook her voice for herself. A necessary mistake to make concerning growing-up.

    Don't really need to be of a particular colour to portray all of that.

    However, Monsno I appreciate your point about culture and its identifiable race being tied to a particular kind of narrative. Personally, I can't identify a narrative that would have to be quintessentially white. Maybe it's something you need outside eyes for?

  10. #20
    PF God-Empress Juniper's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    16,456
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Pacific "North" West
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

    Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That's different. Will Smith being genie isn't even relevant in this thread. Like I said a black mermaid is a great Idea.
    HOW is this different? Genie and Ariel are both fictional characters. Neither they, nor their represented races exist in the real world. They can be portrayed by absolutely anybody.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Similar Threads

  1. Is witchcraft like making soup or like making a souffle?
    By thalassa in forum Magic and Witchcraft
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24 Apr 2016, 18:09
  2. How Do You Deal With Negative People
    By Bartmanhomer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18 Apr 2016, 16:14
  3. Ways to deal with hatred
    By Tylluan Penry in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22 Sep 2015, 09:43
  4. Friendship deal breakers
    By Medusa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26 Jul 2015, 13:09
  5. Best way to deal with Nazis and the KKK
    By B. de Corbin in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 15 Nov 2012, 04:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •