Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Re: People Are Making A Big Deal Of A Black Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    HOW is this different? Genie and Ariel are both fictional characters. Neither they, nor their represented races exist in the real world. They can be portrayed by absolutely anybody.
    I'm saying that Will Smith playing Genie is not even relevant because of his medicore acting and of course he can Genie can play whoever he want to play.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 07 Jul 2019 at 09:02.

I appear to have worked myself right up about this, mostly because I was completely flabbergasted that it was even an issue. It seems like such a little stretch of the brain as to be non-existent. But here we are.

I also find myself siding with BH about Will Smith. TBH I don't see race as an issue with a fictional genie either, and given geography and history, the only real cultural problem I could scrape up with Will Smith would be his American-ness representing another culture. Which of course applies pretty broadly in any of these movies. Will Smith just happened to be filling some pretty big shoes, and I wasn't sure he was up to it, even though I generally enjoy his performances. I could see why he was in the running, I just didn't have the sense that it was spot-on casting. If he had been the first genie, no problem. Also, I can't really come up with anyone better. I see why he was on the short list.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    NO people are against Ariel the Little Mermaid being black since she is based upon Nordic lore and a white character with red hair. People get pissed when other character's are white washed and have their ethnicity changed that is the point but going the other way to make character's diverse suddenly is ok.
    Actually, from what I've read, the original little mermaid was green. As in, in the story written by the original author. Since I haven't read the original story myself, I'm not sure if that comes from the story or original artwork. I know the mermaid on the cover of many original copies is green. One thing Disney has attempted with these live action remakes is to incorporate more of the adult themes that they dumbed down or whitewashed from the originals. Giving the little mermaid a non white skin color actually returns some value of the original story and the foreigness of mermaids to the Danish people.

While you can argue that the humans in the story are Danes, the mermaids most certainly are not. They are a creature of myth. Plenty of creatures of myth have differing skin color, which contributed to white people believing that dark colored skin meant those people were less than human, centuries ago.

Additionally, they are changing the location from of the coast of Europe to the Caribbean. Which makes the racial change make sense as well.

ETA: the genie isn't really an issue either, because mythical creature. But. We're talking am Arab country and a genie bottle. Genie was once human. It would be a lot more likely that the genie would be dark skinned, than white. Africans traded with and traveled to the middle east fairly frequently in that time period, if I'm remembering my history correctly.
    Last edited by Shahaku; 07 Jul 2019 at 11:47.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    .. Additionally, they are changing the location from of the coast of Europe to the Caribbean. Which makes the racial change make sense as well. ..
    Then let them make a movie about River Mumma the mermaid of Jamaica who is already a major character of Caribbean lore. Oh wait, that would be an actual Mermaid of Color with a legitimate heritage that could be introduced to people and actually known with legitimate lore of her own. Like I said easier to black wash an existing character than actually do true diversity introduction.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Actually, from what I've read, the original little mermaid was green. As in, in the story written by the original author. Since I haven't read the original story myself, I'm not sure if that comes from the story or original artwork. I know the mermaid on the cover of many original copies is green. One thing Disney has attempted with these live action remakes is to incorporate more of the adult themes that they dumbed down or whitewashed from the originals. Giving the little mermaid a non white skin color actually returns some value of the original story and the foreigness of mermaids to the Danish people.

While you can argue that the humans in the story are Danes, the mermaids most certainly are not. They are a creature of myth. Plenty of creatures of myth have differing skin color, which contributed to white people believing that dark colored skin meant those people were less than human, centuries ago.

Additionally, they are changing the location from of the coast of Europe to the Caribbean. Which makes the racial change make sense as well.

ETA: the genie isn't really an issue either, because mythical creature. But. We're talking am Arab country and a genie bottle. Genie was once human. It would be a lot more likely that the genie would be dark skinned, than white. Africans traded with and traveled to the middle east fairly frequently in that time period, if I'm remembering my history correctly.
    Really don't wanna get tangled in this discussion. But. Her skin is not green. He describes it something like "clear and radiant as a rose petal". No mention of what colour that petal is though (that misunderstanding might come from the statue of her which is green. It's old copper). And while she does have blue eyes in the story... the original story is already so far from the movie, I really don't see the issue. There's no human race to them, they're not human.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Then let them make a movie about River Mumma the mermaid of Jamaica who is already a major character of Caribbean lore. Oh wait, that would be an actual Mermaid of Color with a legitimate heritage that could be introduced to people and actually known with legitimate lore of her own. Like I said easier to black wash an existing character than actually do true diversity introduction.
    And you completely overlooked the rest of my post. That was only a side note at the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    Really don't wanna get tangled in this discussion. But. Her skin is not green. He describes it something like "clear and radiant as a rose petal". No mention of what colour that petal is though (that misunderstanding might come from the statue of her which is green. It's old copper). And while she does have blue eyes in the story... the original story is already so far from the movie, I really don't see the issue. There's no human race to them, they're not human.
    I'm honestly not sure. It's something that came up in a few Facebook discussions I've seen over the last few days. I do know when I Googled it, some of the books with pretty old artwork had green or something like faded teal mermaids on them.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

I think everybody needs to calm down and give the black mermaid a chance.

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

I personally don't care if Ariel is black, white, asian, native american, or an alien from outer space. I was just stirring the pot.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

And you completely overlooked the rest of my post. That was only a side note at the very end..
    Honestly no I didn't overlook the rest of your post. I've focused upon the aspect of Ariel as both the Disney version and Hans Christian Anderson's input. In that regard reflection upon the Danish influence which is not painting the merfolk as anything other than being half human and appearing more human in appearance and half fish. One reference suggest silver colored hair but also suggests it might be netting or sea weed of some sort as I've not actually found a clear reference to the youngest daughter's hair nor is she ever given an actual name. But her biggest purpose per Han's Christian Anderson's story is actually the seeking of a human soul through marriage which is somewhat portrayed in the Disney movie. Yet Anderson's Mermaid never achieve's that and is turned into an air spirit and will spend 300 years where she will possibly gain that soul upon doing good deeds at the conclusion of that time helping people. Vice being turned into sea foam like the rest of her mermaid sisters upon the expiration of their 300 year life span.

So while there is some strangeness to the Danish lore of the Merfolk the story upon which the Little Mermaid is actually Drawn is more human like in its usage of the merfolk in appearance and relationship to humanity. Where it differ's is the difference between the immortal "soul" between the two which Anderson goes to some length to stress and clarify. A position which is also carried over into the Disney movie as well though not to the extent that the Christian overtones and immortal soul influences are present. Even to the sacrifice that Ariel (youngest daughter) is willing to make to achieve that immortal soul / marriage.

That is the heritage that is passed via the movie and Anderson's influence upon it through the Danish story telling. Skin color played no significant role in the story at any point.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

That's it! I'm sick of feeling attacked. I don't give a crap what color the little mermaid is. I was just saying that it would be nice for them to stick to the traditional. Also, people have their own damned opinions and just because you don't agree does not mean you have to get upset with them. I'm not going to stand by feeling judged by anyone just because I want to speak what I think.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)