Changing the date of Halloween

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the date of Halloween

Apparently, there's a petition going around the USA to change the date so it will always fall on a Saturday. https://www.change.org/p/change-halloween
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: Changing the date of Halloween

Hello no! Just no leave it alone. It's not a kids holiday.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Exactly. I don't see them wanting to move Christmas, which has become far more commercial. This is religious discrimination, IMO. But - I found this elsewhere, so the whole thing isn't likely to move forward. It really irks me that it'd even be a thing, though. Another thing to be wary of.

"It seems that tens of thousands of people agree. But they might be disappointed to know that, even if president Trump gets their petition, there’s not much he can do, since Halloween is not a federal holiday. Changing the date would require Trump to ask Congress to make it a government-regulated holiday first, which, considering that only six federal holidays (pdf) have been created since 1888, is unlikely to happen anytime soon."
      Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 26 Jul 2019, 07:27.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
        Hello no! Just no leave it alone. It's not a kids holiday.
        This gets me. Halloween is a kids holiday. All Hallows Eve (31 Oct) / All Saints day (1 Nov) / All Souls Day (2 Nov) are Christian inspired. Samhain could be said to be a Pagan Holiday based upon a Celtic inspired fire festival that is both adult and child oriented.

So which do you practice and observe? Call me curious, Wicca and Wicca inspired observe Samhain not Halloween in my experience.

Of course that doesn't even touch upon the fact many places used to observe Halloween as a series of nights. Depending upon time it could be as many as 7 nights including penny night for instance, fruit night, candy night, spook night though most places today limit it to a singular night. I was born in 1959 and recall times where it was at least 3 nights, my mother remembers times where it was 5 nights. Her favorites being penny night where she got pennies at each house, fruit night where they handed out apples or other fruits, nights where they got baked goods and of course regular candy night. I recall penny night, candy night and one that was simply scares and tricks with no treats on that night.

For reference I lived in Maryland and the District of Columbia (D.C.) during those times my mother lived in Ohio during the times she remembers. That still doesn't count the difference between children's parties and adult parties.

Today its not uncommon to change the night that kids actually hold their trick or treating. Might be due to weather, might be due to the night the 31st actually falls on, might be due to how people schedule it so kids can participate with the smaller communities so they don't compete against each other in the more rural areas where I live. Heck where I live it's not uncommon to have what is called trunk or treat where families / business meet in parks or parking lots and have the kids gather there due to how spread out things are and for the safety of the kids and pass out treats that way.

But not a children's holiday, sorry it's very much a children's holiday. Samhain is the one that is not a children's holiday they just happen to share the same night and one inspired the other in wearing masks perhaps to hide from the dead and spirits of the night.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I can’t see why it would matter what day we decide to let Halloween fall on. As someone with alot of kids I would def enjoy it always falling on a weekend night. As for the underpinnings, and it’s nature as a kids holiday, meh. No holiday remains when or what it was, and I still enjoy it as an adult, even as a kids day for candy. It’s that one night a year where the things that go bump in the night are the hero’s, rather than the villains.

Comment

Not everyone works a Monday-Friday shift. If we stay with the October 31st date, at least it's fair all around because we can't* change how many days there are in any month/year.

* since this is all constructed by man to make sense of the passing of time, this obviously isn't an absolute, but it would be quite the feat for this to change considering all of man kind more or less abides by what we currently have in place.

Personally, I'm apathetic about the whole thing. I don't celebrate holidays of any kind. I celebrate birthdays and anniversaries and those are pretty customizeable in how and when they are celebrated.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

It seems there's some confusion between All Hallow's Eve and Trick or Treat. Most communities designate which night Trick or Treat is held. That in no way affects Halloween or Samhain or Winter's Night.
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

What bothers me is that it's ONLY recognized as Trick or Treat for children. There's absolutely no respect for the actual thing. They don't even know.

Maybe it's better that way, for now. I don't know.
                sigpic

Comment

i myself am only into it for the candy yeh candy
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The second most common form of recognition, in the states anyway, is as a demonic observance. Probably don’t want too many people with that opinion weighing in on when (and eventually if) it should be observed.

Comment

Leave Halloween alone.

Comment

It's always fallen on October 31st, leave it that way.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Imagine all the demons coming out on Oct 31 and it's just crickets in the wind. All alone. And they have no idea what's up. Now they have to re-arrange their schedule and get a calendar to figure out when they come out at night. Leave the demons be.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

just say no to that change,i am only in it for the candy anyway except now the diabetes gets in the way

- - - Updated - - -

yeh Duce i most likely caught the dbs from you lady
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Imagine all the demons coming out on Oct 31 and it's just crickets in the wind. All alone. And they have no idea what's up. Now they have to re-arrange their schedule and get a calendar to figure out when they come out at night. Leave the demons be.
                              Hey Medusa. Long time no see. How are you doing?

Comment

Working...
                              X