Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can one fail as human being?

Originally posted by Sean R. R. View Post
    I don't believe one can fail as a human being.
    Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes, they can and Chump is one of them.
    This brings up a fairly interesting question. Can a person fail as a human being?

Failing at something implies there is something to be done. After all, you cannot fail at nothing. The concept of failure as a human being is strongly tied to the belief in an innate purpose or meaning in human life.

Personally, I don't think one can fail as a human being, because humans have no innate purpose nor objective. Nothing has, if you ask me. Purpose is something that is arbitrarily decided. As such a "human failure" can only exist as a subjective perception created by the projection of our own idea of human purpose onto others.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you see failing as a human being? Do you think people are born with a general objective?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Re: Can one fail as human being?

point taken sean engage mister sean go to hyper drive and to full light speed.mr. scott have we got full power?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Questions I would need answered before responding...

A. What is a "human being"?

B. What are the specific qualities that are inherent in a "human being" that are different in kind, quality, or extent from other animals?

If I had answers to those two questions, I could say "a human being who does not meet - either through inability or by choice - those standards has failed as a human being."
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 04 Aug 2019, 08:45.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Questions I would need answered before responding...

A. What is a "human being"?

B. What are the specific qualities that are inherent in a "human being" that are different in kind, quality, or extent from other animals?

If I had answers to those two questions, I could say "a human being who does not meet - either through inability or by choice - those standards has failed as a human being."
        I think for the purpose at hand answer to A would be any individual of our species Homo Sapiens. B is something that really doesn't have an answer for me, either.

Comment

This brings up a fairly interesting question. Can a person fail as a human being?

Failing at something implies there is something to be done. After all, you cannot fail at anything. The concept of failure as a human being is strongly tied to the belief in an innate purpose or meaning in human life.

Personally, I don't think one can fail as a human being because humans have no innate purpose nor objective. Nothing has if you ask me. The purpose is something that is arbitrarily decided. As such a "human failure" can only exist as a subjective perception created by the projection of our own idea of human purpose onto others.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you see failure as a human being? Do you think people are born with a general objective?
          The whole point is that Chump is not a very good president and a person as well. It proves the whole time as president he didn't show any positive morals and ethical values at all which proves my point.

Comment

The whole point is that Chump is not a very good president and a person as well. It proves the whole time as president he didn't show any positive morals and ethical values at all which proves my point.
            So you would say that failing as a human is failing your responsibilities tied to your career? What is a "bad" person? And what are "positive" against "negative" morals? It all sounds very subjective to me.

Comment

So you would say that failing as a human is failing your responsibilities tied to your career? What is a "bad" person? And what are "positive" against "negative" morals? It all sounds very subjective to me.
              That's exactly what I'm saying here. It's not rocket science.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm saying here. It's not rocket science.
                Well if it's a perspective issue then what is it worth? That would mean that from the perspective of some Trump is the greatest human being, for morals and ethics are subjective, and I'm certain some people (if not a considerable amount) align with Trump's way of thinking, so for them, he has fulfilled his responsibilities and has had a pristine moral compass... Whatever that means. In any case, while totally your right to think of Trump, or actually, to think of whoever you want as being a failure of a human being. However that doesn't make them an "objective" (or at least more global) failure of a human being.

Comment

Well if it's a perspective issue then what is it worth? That would mean that from the perspective of some Trump is the greatest human being, for morals and ethics are subjective, and I'm certain some people (if not a considerable amount) align with Trump's way of thinking, so for them, he has fulfilled his responsibilities and has had a pristine moral compass... Whatever that means. In any case, while totally your right to think of Trump, or actually, to think of whoever you want as being a failure of a human being. However that doesn't make them an "objective" (or at least more global) failure of a human being.
                  That doesn't make any sense at all. How is Chump consider the greatest human being of all the bad stuff he did? Chump makes concentration camps for immigrants. He condones racism, KKK and Neo-Nazism. He's Anti-LGBT. So no he's not the greatest human being in the world. He's the worst human being in this planet.

Comment

I think BH is working on failing or succeeding as a human being somewhere along the lines of "Do what thou wilt, an it harm none". I don't think that that has ever been Trump's standard of succeeding as a human being. So yes, because we do not have an objective unassailable definition. Also, while Trump may fail by my personal moral standards, he is acting out some very human traits, so in that sense he is succeeding as a human being. All we have is philosophical debate. The reason we have so much contention going on here in the US is that we are working from different ideas of moral absolutes, and the current political climate plays into those clashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
                      I think BH is working on failing or succeeding as a human being somewhere along the lines of "Do what thou wilt, an it harm none". I don't think that that has ever been Trump's standard of succeeding as a human being. So yes, because we do not have an objective unassailable definition. Also, while Trump may fail by my personal moral standards, he is acting out some very human traits, so in that sense he is succeeding as a human being. All we have is philosophical debate. The reason we have so much contention going on here in the US is that we are working from different ideas of moral absolutes, and the current political climate plays into those clashes.
                      What that suppose to mean?

Comment

I think that when humans try and judge the humanity of other humans by moral standards, they are engaging in a bit of comforting self deception. Unfortunately, it isn't a useful bit of self deception. It's usually easier to defeat problems that you understand. Strategy built on self-deception and wishful thinking has been known to lead to catastrophic (see Imperial Japan in WW2) and/or embarrassing (see current state of Iraq and Afghanistan after US intervention) ends.
                        "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                        ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

in the sense of fulfilling the duty of country first over personal agenda i feel trump is failing this country in allowing his decisions to bring dishonor to our home country
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Wait a minute. What's happening with this thread? Has it changed?

Comment

Technically we are just sorta here to live. Technically we all eventually fail. It's all the stuff in the middle that's completely subjective to each individual's definition of what is the opposite of failure is.

I will personally not have a living descendant from me when I die. I will have all my possessions junked. I will only live in a few people's memories, though I tend to outlive and outlast everyone I know. Is that a failure? Nope. I'm having a blast!
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                              X