Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing relationship. Is he an alcoholic?

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Re: Changing relationship. Is he an alcoholic?

There's nothing I can recommend outside of you need to have a heart to heart with him. We're strangers that are making assumptive suggestions based solely on what you're telling us.

I have an in-law that went to school to become a brewmaster, I've observed first hand that people who enjoy brewing their own beer and indulge in 1-2 a night and maybe more on weekends does not mean they are alcoholics. They are enjoying the fruits of their labor. It's the behaviour that comes with it that would illude to whether alcoholism is an issue.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    There's nothing I can recommend outside of you need to have a heart to heart with him. We're strangers that are making assumptive suggestions based solely on what you're telling us.

I have an in-law that went to school to become a brewmaster, I've observed first hand that people who enjoy brewing their own beer and indulge in 1-2 a night and maybe more on weekends does not mean they are alcoholics. They are enjoying the fruits of their labor. It's the behaviour that comes with it that would illude to whether alcoholism is an issue.
    Juniper right. I think the best way is to talk to him.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Honestly, I think you should read this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/se...se-weight.html

and this: https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/24/h...lth/index.html

and this: https://www.shape.com/weight-loss/ti...ed-lose-weight

and this: https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...t-their-weight

for some points of consideration. It sounds to me, given the information here, that the issue is less about him drinking and more about you not liking his weight gain. Now, there are lots of things that actually contribute to weight gain, beyond calories in and calories out, and tbh, none of us know him, or where you are in your relationship, of his mental health status, stress factors, etc., or all of the factors that are at work here....

...but I do know that not considering all of these things before you figure out what to say and how to say it has a high potential to ruin not only your relationship but potentially harm him as well.
    Last edited by thalassa; 12 Aug 2019 at 23:04.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible