Cursing yourself with conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursing yourself with conditions

Is it possible to curse oneself with specified conditions? To where if those specified conditions are not met you'll die?

Any history, lore, practices, spells, or any form of knowledge on this in general would help, thanks~

Re: Cursing yourself with conditions

Can you be more clear about what you're asking?

If you're asking if it's possible to curse someone to death, eh maybe? Probably not for most people though. I dont see why you couldnt curse yourself but, that's idiotic. As for conditions, this isn't a YA novel. There are people who set conditions and limitations on their spells, but magic is only like that in the vaguest way. Even if the powers that be decide to listen to your conditions, it's impossible to know how they would interpret them. It might be fulfilled in some real ironic or symbolic way.
    Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post

If you're asking if it's possible to curse someone to death, eh maybe? Probably not for most people though. I dont see why you couldnt curse yourself but, that's idiotic. As for conditions, this isn't a YA novel. There are people who set conditions and limitations on their spells, but magic is only like that in the vaguest way. Even if the powers that be decide to listen to your conditions, it's impossible to know how they would interpret them. It might be fulfilled in some real ironic or symbolic way.
      The OP seems to be describing an oath with supernatural enforcement. Swearing to do a thing by one's health with the understanding that the Power witnessing the Oath may take away the named collateral (ie health) if the Oath isn't met. I don't know if anyone has done such a thing but the phrase "swear on my x" takes on new meaning if something is ready to take X away from oathbreakers.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post

I agree. Cursing yourself is a very bad idea. My advice is don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          The OP seems to be describing an oath with supernatural enforcement. Swearing to do a thing by one's health with the understanding that the Power witnessing the Oath may take away the named collateral (ie health) if the Oath isn't met. I don't know if anyone has done such a thing but the phrase "swear on my x" takes on new meaning if something is ready to take X away from oathbreakers.
          That makes way more sense. Viewing the question this way, I'd say that's a relatively common thing. People take oaths before god all the time. If its wise or not, and furthermore if you believe you will be punished for breaking the oath, is a matter of belief. I'd say that empowering a being to enforce your oath comes down to the mercy and leniency of that being. It might be possible or else it might not. Theres a lot of factors like, is the being literally something that exists with agency to punish you, and the idea of a self fulfilling prophecy. Really, any oath with collateral should be taken with the assumption it may be enforced, regardless of whatever entity, or lack thereof, is being sworn to
          Circe

Comment

Working...
          X