Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harriet

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Re: Harriet

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm View Post
    The controversy, such that it is, isn't that the movie is anti-black (?). Its that the actress chosen for the title role may have been a poor choice.
    How was she a poor choice for the leading actress role? I really don't understand the controversy behind it.

She has a history of tweets dismissive to african american history and culture and experience, specifically the american portion of it, in some peoples opinion.

(it's always a history of tweets, anymore...maybe we should keep some thoughts to ourselves, lol)
    Last edited by Rhythm; 05 Nov 2019 at 09:02.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm View Post
    She has a history of tweets dismissive to African American history and culture and experience, specifically the American portion of it, in some peoples opinion.

(it's always a history of tweets, anymore...maybe we should keep some thoughts to ourselves, lol)
    Oh ok. Now I see the reason why she was a poor choice to choose the leading role.

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

From my understanding they also added in a bunch of really random, stupid, "why in the seven hells did you think this was a good idea, this literally never happened or would've happened--please share with the rest of us whatever drugs you're on" stuff like having the main antagonist be a black slave bounty hunter chasing after her, and having some white slave owner be the savior at the end of the day
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress

Well...that's just good movie marketing.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorin View Post
    From my understanding they also added in a bunch of really random, stupid, "why in the seven hells did you think this was a good idea, this literally never happened or would've happened--please share with the rest of us whatever drugs you're on" stuff like having the main antagonist be a black slave bounty hunter chasing after her, and having some white slave owner be the savior at the end of the day
    Well, a few people at my job like that movie. Also many people complained that the black actress is British. Like I don't really see the origin of the actress background is a huge issue in my opinion.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

So anyway I went to see Harriet early this morning and I'm going to tell you my thoughts about the movie.

Spoiler!