Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harriet

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
    From my understanding they also added in a bunch of really random, stupid, "why in the seven hells did you think this was a good idea, this literally never happened or would've happened--please share with the rest of us whatever drugs you're on" stuff like having the main antagonist be a black slave bounty hunter chasing after her, and having some white slave owner be the savior at the end of the day
    Well, a few people at my job like that movie. Also many people complained that the black actress is British. Like I don't really see the origin of the actress background is a huge issue in my opinion.

Comment

So anyway I went to see Harriet early this morning and I'm going to tell you my thoughts about the movie.

Spoiler!

Comment

There is some controversy over the Bigger character, a black male slave who was completely fictional and never existed, let alone in Harriet's life. A white slave trader saves her from this black slave catcher. Folks are saying that this perpetuates racism, and they aren't wrong.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          There is some controversy over the Bigger character, a black male slave who was completely fictional and never existed, let alone in Harriet's life. A white slave trader saves her from this black slave catcher. Folks are saying that this perpetuates racism, and they aren't wrong.
          It's Hollywood. Sometimes the directors and writers have to put a grain of salt to make the movies more interesting.
          Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 13 Nov 2019, 08:24.

Comment

Working...
          X