No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Thuleanperspective (Varg)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Thuleanperspective (Varg)?

For me, Varg is a solid pagan and shares many of the same thoughts that i do about the world and the Norse way of life. He of course has a different view point on many things but i am thankful for that. How do you feel about Varg and his interprations of the Gods, life and over all world view ?

Re: Thoughts on Thuleanperspective (Varg)?

Originally posted by DHR View Post
    For me, Varg is a solid pagan and shares many of the same thoughts that i do about the world and the Norse way of life. He of course has a different view point on many things but i am thankful for that. How do you feel about Varg and his interprations of the Gods, life and over all world view ?
    I'm not Pagan so I wouldn't know. But I'm very open minded to learn more about Varg.

Comment

This is an interesting one, youtube "thuleanperspective Dear Native Americans!"
      Louis (Varg) has a very interesting history. It would be hard to sum him up in one night. From the late 80s at the start of the Black Metal scene to now...a lot has happened.

Comment

Incompetent pagan window dressing for overt racism.

Comment

I hope you have taken the time to fully hear him out and read his books. He has writen and posted videos on the topic of racism as well.

Comment

You asked for peoples thoughts on a neo-nazi arsonist who spent 15 years in prison for murder. Who peddles conspiracy theories, anti vaxx nuttery, prepping panic, and hilariously inept evolutionary racism online. Contemplating the totality of his views is precisely what leads me to decide that they aren't worth the trouble of sifting through second by horrible second.

He's well below my bar for a "solid pagan" - but that's just my bar, those are just my thoughts. I'm not really interested in a pantheon that supports the rats nest of a world view he holds, but obviously he's capable of creating one. We'd have to have utterly scraped the bottom of the pagan barrel and came up with wood shavings before I propped him or his views up as an example...and..frankly, the universe is just one standard unit of varg worse today than it was before I googled up who this guy was and what you were asking about.

Last edited by Rhythm; 12 Dec 2019, 17:36.

Comment

Met Varg in person. Chill dude, probably a sociopath. Definitely racist.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

You googled and didnt even bother seeing the other side. Even i do not completely agree ( anti vax stuff ) with him but i have read a number of his books and a vast amount of his vidoe postings. As you have said, you only sifted. You must not have searched that hard, He covers everything you brought up and even says, he is a little crazy with his conspiracy. If you could link any of his videos or current works that he stats he is a Nazi, I would enjoy seeing that. Evolutionary Racism isn't the correct, I think you mean Scientific Racism. Its rather easy to sum up someone in a few searches vs actual spending time with subject matter. But you did give your opinion. He was however correct about the yellow vest protest but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Do you own a book by someone you do not agree with or an idea/topic you do not support ?

- - - Updated - - -

where did you meet him ?

Comment

I research a bit more and he very racist. I'm not very open to him anymore.

Comment

I get super uninterested anytime someone implores me to explore the "other side" of racism. I'm from the deep south, I'm familiar. There's just the one side to it.

Neo-pagan reconstruction-ism, norse neo-pagan reconstruction-ism in particular, has had a bit of a nazi problem for it's entire existence. On the one hand that's not remarkable, as it initially grew as an offshoot of late 19th and early 20th century romanticism, in societies which would have broadly agreed with white supremacist ideology, and saw in it a distilled form of spiritual whiteness and purity that could affirm the narrative of their worth by blood and their mythological notions about primordial "white" culture.
                    Last edited by Rhythm; 12 Dec 2019, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by DHR View Post
                      You googled and didn't even bother seeing the other side. Even i do not completely agree ( anti-vax stuff ) with him but i have read a number of his books and a vast amount of his video postings. As you have said, you only sifted. You must not have searched that hard, He covers everything you brought up and even says, he is a little crazy with his conspiracy. If you could link any of his videos or current works that he stats he is a Nazi, I would enjoy seeing that. Evolutionary Racism isn't the correct, I think you mean Scientific Racism. It's rather easy, to sum up, someone in a few searches vs actual spending time with the subject matter. But you did give your opinion. He was however correct about the yellow vest protest but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Do you own a book by someone you do not agree with or an idea/topic you do not support?

- - - Updated - - -

where did you meet him?
                      Racism is racism period. What's more to see with this guy?

Comment

Well, he also gets the reality of pagan belief and practice in scandinavia fantastically wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
                          Well, he also gets the reality of pagan belief and practice in scandinavia fantastically wrong.
                          And everything you said about Anti-Vaxxers shows how wrong he is as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he believes the earth is flat.

Comment

(DHR, since you're new I'm adding a note that when someone types in green, they are site Mods, if you see red, you're dealing with an Admin) As a forum, we do not condone racism in any form for any reason. Any comment or action that could be considered racist, breaks the rules of the forum, and will be dealt with.

In addition, many of the other controversial topics involved with this concept have been discussed in length elsewhere. I strongly encourage reading through those posts before continuing this discussion.

On vaccination: http://paganforum.com/showthread.php...s-the-question

This is on living off grid and ties into prepping: http://paganforum.com/showthread.php...rnative-Living

And I'm sure reading through this would give you a good idea of the political climate of this forum, what is and isn't considered acceptable: http://paganforum.com/showthread.php...y-this-country

- - - Updated - - -
                            Last edited by Shahaku; 13 Dec 2019, 14:14.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Well, what's one more thing when you're that deep into loontown, right? I suspect that it starts to look like the only way out is through. So, rather than walking back some absurdity, we pile another and another and another on top until we don't have to trouble ourselves with the first one. If we're a conspiracy theorist, the bundle all gets mashed together into one overarching schema. In case of the gentleman in question, a jewish conspiracy and the end of the world as we know it.

Anywho. As far as his paganism goes..specifically, it's fairly typical in the broad strokes (even if the devil is in the details). He's a reconstructionist. Now, when anthropologists and archeaologists do reconstruction..theyre doing a different thing than what a religious practitioner of reconstruction is doing. So much so that despite the implied premise of reconstruction as a version of the "old religion" sociologists have identified these movements as new religious movements. Which is to say that they are not rooted in any specific factual historical basis - rather, in the predispositions and constructs and stories about ancient religions typical to their modern authors. To the frustration and amusement of professional researchers, reconstruction as a religion almost completely disregards facts about those traditions alleged to be the basis or inspiration of the new movement.

We can take a random sampling of some of his opinions on paganism, both historical and present - to see this play out. In a piece you can find on burzum, titled Paganism: Part V - Sacrifices, he lays out his views. Briefly summarized he purports to recount a bit of historical data as the premise - that christians reported pagans making sacrifices, but noted that some people did not make sacrifices and so, in their views...were not "real pagans". This is not actually a historical fact. It's a setup for the main point of an argument he'll be making - the argument being that pagans who don't make sacrifices are, in fact, the Real Pagans(tm).

Now, I'm, not going to insist that the establishing details of a purported event have to be factual for the story that follows to contain truth. A talking rabbit never had a footrace with a talking turtle, for example. If we're going to look past this narrative device, though, the content had better be worth it.

He continues for some time with minutiae on mound and hoard burials, inserting his own religious beliefs (and, in fact, the very conclusion of the argument he's making) as motivating factors for the individuals who created them, before getting back to the thrust of the article. That we shouldn't ask the gods for favors, and that..in his view, the pagan philosophy is that every man gets what he deserves, nothing more or less. That asking the gods for favors will..in fact, produce a tragedy of some sort or another. Punishment, retribution, loss. He continues onward to insist that the gods are running a soul improvement machine, and that we should accept our necessarily diminished lot in it. None of this is representative of any bronze age paganism in scandinavia..or anywhere else in the world. It has more in common with modern protestant canards and continental philosophy than pre-contact/conquest scandinavian belief or practice.
                              Last edited by Rhythm; 13 Dec 2019, 05:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X