Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To Pride

This is going on very near me. There was supposed to be a rally today in support of the Pride flag kids, but they cancelled school due to ice this a.m., so it's supposed to be tomorrow. I'm a little apprehensive that it won't go well.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...?ref=bfnsplash
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

There are days where I really don't think the South got its *** kicked hard enough.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      There are days where I really don't think the South got its *** kicked hard enough.
      I agree. I feel like the students who displayed the Confederate flag need to be expelled. I don't care what their idiotic principal thinks.

Comment

If you saw all the local people's (adults!) comments on this, you'd feel even stronger about it! They're all "we need God in the schools", "gay is a sin", "we don't need outsiders coming to our town forcing their ways on our kids", etc. They're so proud of their ignorance, it'd be laughable if it wasn't so scary. Meanwhile, we had a snow flurry last night, so there's no school again today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
        I agree. I feel like the students who displayed the Confederate flag need to be expelled. I don't care what their idiotic principal thinks.
        Some of the parents have them flying from their pickup truck, or in front of their houses. This area was divided during the Civil War, and still is. My guess is the school will make some rule about flags in general once this dies down.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
          If you saw all the local people's (adults!) comments on this, you'd feel even stronger about it! They're all "we need God in the schools", "gay is a sin", "we don't need outsiders coming to our town forcing their ways on our kids", etc. They're so proud of their ignorance, it'd be laughable if it wasn't so scary. Meanwhile, we had a snow flurry last night, so there's no school again today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Some of the parents have them flying from their pickup truck, or in front of their houses. This area was divided during the Civil War, and still is. My guess is the school will make some rule about flags in general once this dies down.
          Then the school should've been doing it for the very beginning. How was it new to the school?

Comment

Then the school should've been doing it for the very beginning. How was it new to the school?
            The problem was that it was being used as "retaliation" for the pride flags.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              The problem was that it was being used as "retaliation" for the pride flags.
              And it goes to proved how completely ignorant the Confederate Flag supporters are.

Comment

And it goes to proved how completely ignorant the Confederate Flag supporters are.
                You known BMH you really should do a little history.

There are really are two types of Confederate flag supporters to be honest. It's like I honor and support the Confederate flag. Mainly because I have ancestor's who served in Company D, 34th Virginia Infantry, Company F, 7th Virginia Infantry, CO G, 10th Virginia Home Guard, my wife has ancestors who served in the 26th Alabama. They served, some died, some were wounded but they did their duty under the times they lived. I honor them just as much as I honor the members of my family who served in the Union forces and make my family eligible for membership in the GAR.

Many of those Civil War units continued to exist and have roots that continue to influence into today's military. The 116th Infantry, 29th Div out of Virginia was formed from basically the Stonewall Brigade which dates back to the Rev. War and Indian wars prior to that. The unit today has battle pennants on it's flag staff that date to its Civil War actions. Confederate Battle actions for which it was decorated. It's one of the units that landed at Normandy in the initial waves at Utah.

The soldiers and sailors then unfortunately face many of the issues the military of today faces. They didn't get to decide the politics and laws of the government on either side. More often than not, they also didn't have much of a choice on whether they were going to enlist as it was mandatory service and the draft was enforced to ensure you served. That and many of them served because they though it was their public service to do so, just as many today do.

Those in the referenced story probably are the red-neck the south will rise again type with the hyped idea of the historical notion. Lots of them fly the battle flag and have little to no idea of its true origin as the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia initially. But to be honest I've seen more people pushing it since it's been attacked than I saw it prior to all of this starting. All the false attacking has only served to make it more like attacking a martyr than anything.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  You known BMH you really should do a little history.

There are really are two types of Confederate flag supporters to be honest. It's like I honor and support the Confederate flag. Mainly because I have ancestor's who served in Company D, 34th Virginia Infantry, Company F, 7th Virginia Infantry, CO G, 10th Virginia Home Guard, my wife has ancestors who served in the 26th Alabama. They served, some died, some were wounded but they did their duty under the times they lived. I honor them just as much as I honor the members of my family who served in the Union forces and make my family eligible for membership in the GAR.

Many of those Civil War units continued to exist and have roots that continue to influence into today's military. The 116th Infantry, 29th Div out of Virginia was formed from basically the Stonewall Brigade which dates back to the Rev. War and Indian wars prior to that. The unit today has battle pennants on it's flag staff that date to its Civil War actions. Confederate Battle actions for which it was decorated. It's one of the units that landed at Normandy in the initial waves at Utah.

The soldiers and sailors then unfortunately face many of the issues the military of today faces. They didn't get to decide the politics and laws of the government on either side. More often than not, they also didn't have much of a choice on whether they were going to enlist as it was mandatory service and the draft was enforced to ensure you served. That and many of them served because they though it was their public service to do so, just as many today do.

Those in the referenced story probably are the red-neck the south will rise again type with the hyped idea of the historical notion. Lots of them fly the battle flag and have little to no idea of its true origin as the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia initially. But to be honest I've seen more people pushing it since it's been attacked than I saw it prior to all of this starting. All the false attacking has only served to make it more like attacking a martyr than anything.
                  I already known my history way too well and I already know for a fact that flag represent racism. So I really don't care if your family support this kind of flag. I truly see what this flag represent. It represent for hatred and racism.

Comment

Unless a prior regulation banning it exists, this would simply end with the school on the losing (justifiably) side of a lawsuit. Ex Post Facto law is for the most part, bad law. That doesn't change because people are doing something particularly irritating.

Honestly, I'd rather that we just mandate that people read the Cornerstone speech and several of the letters of secession in US History courses. The Civil War and the lead up to it don't get nearly enough attention in public schools and the leaders of the CSA are perfectly capable of condemning themselves and everything they stood for. They should be handed that opportunity on a silver platter.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Unless a prior regulation banning it exists, this would simply end with the school on the losing (justifiably) side of a lawsuit. Ex Post Facto law is for the most part, bad law. That doesn't change because people are doing something particularly irritating.

Honestly, I'd rather that we just mandate that people read the Cornerstone speech and several of the letters of secession in US History courses. The Civil War and the lead up to it don't get nearly enough attention in public schools and the leaders of the CSA are perfectly capable of condemning themselves and everything they stood for. They should be handed that opportunity on a silver platter.
                      Knowing the South reputation of the history the Confederate flag, they're not going to ban that flag anytime soon.

Comment

Knowing the South reputation of the history the Confederate flag, they're not going to ban that flag anytime soon.
                        And in most places, the First Amendment rightfully protects the various Confed flags. You don't need to ban a thing to significantly diminish its popularity.

Comment

The latest: School will be in session tomorrow, but the group that was going to come and demostrate in support of the LGBTQ students isn't coming. They posted this:

"GLSEN Springfield will not be rescheduling our planned Show Of Support for the students at West Plains High School. We are deeply saddened about the situation that has unfolded. GLSEN planned to stand in front of West Plains High School with signs of support for the LGBTQ+ and Black students, however, after threats of violence we have decided what is best for all students in West Plains is to remove our involvment in an attempt to de escalate the situation.

We wish to send our most sincere thoughts to the students who were harassed and intimidated because of their identities. You are loved, you valuable. Please reach out to GLSEN Springfield at springfield@chapters.glsen.org if you need resources."
                          sigpic

Comment

And in most places, the First Amendment rightfully protects the various Confed flags. You don't need to ban a thing to significantly diminish its popularity.
                            The SCOTUS Tinker ruling protects student free speech in schools UNLESS such speech is slanderous/libelous, or materially and substantially disruptive.

A school could ban the confederate flag, but if anybody is willing to do the legal wrork, such a ban would be overturned...

...unless the flag is "hate speech."

I'd be interested to see how such a suite would turn out, but the outcome isn't entirely clear.

- - - Updated - - -

The SCOTUS Tinker ruling protects student free speech in schools UNLESS such speech is slanderous/libelous, or materially and substantially disruptive.

A school could ban the confederate flag, but if anybody is willing to do the legal wrork, such a ban would be overturned...

...unless the flag is "hate speech."

I'd be interested to see how such a suite would turn out, but the outcome isn't entirely clear.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X