Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To Pride

  1. #1
    Supporter Hawkfeathers's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,600
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria
    Location
    The Ozarks

    Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To Pride

    This is going on very near me. There was supposed to be a rally today in support of the Pride flag kids, but they cancelled school due to ice this a.m., so it's supposed to be tomorrow. I'm a little apprehensive that it won't go well.

    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...?ref=bfnsplash

    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

  2. #2
    PF Ordo Hereticus MaskedOne's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,925
    Religion
    Jedi
    Location
    elsewhere
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    There are days where I really don't think the South got its *** kicked hard enough.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

    "When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

    Yoda

    Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

    "But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

    John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

    "You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

    Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis



  3. #3
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,335
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    There are days where I really don't think the South got its *** kicked hard enough.
    I agree. I feel like the students who displayed the Confederate flag need to be expelled. I don't care what their idiotic principal thinks.

  4. #4
    Supporter Hawkfeathers's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,600
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria
    Location
    The Ozarks

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    There are days where I really don't think the South got its *** kicked hard enough.
    If you saw all the local people's (adults!) comments on this, you'd feel even stronger about it! They're all "we need God in the schools", "gay is a sin", "we don't need outsiders coming to our town forcing their ways on our kids", etc. They're so proud of their ignorance, it'd be laughable if it wasn't so scary. Meanwhile, we had a snow flurry last night, so there's no school again today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I agree. I feel like the students who displayed the Confederate flag need to be expelled. I don't care what their idiotic principal thinks.
    Some of the parents have them flying from their pickup truck, or in front of their houses. This area was divided during the Civil War, and still is. My guess is the school will make some rule about flags in general once this dies down.

    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

  5. #5
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,335
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    If you saw all the local people's (adults!) comments on this, you'd feel even stronger about it! They're all "we need God in the schools", "gay is a sin", "we don't need outsiders coming to our town forcing their ways on our kids", etc. They're so proud of their ignorance, it'd be laughable if it wasn't so scary. Meanwhile, we had a snow flurry last night, so there's no school again today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.



    Some of the parents have them flying from their pickup truck, or in front of their houses. This area was divided during the Civil War, and still is. My guess is the school will make some rule about flags in general once this dies down.
    Then the school should've been doing it for the very beginning. How was it new to the school?

  6. #6
    Supporter Hawkfeathers's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,600
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria
    Location
    The Ozarks

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Then the school should've been doing it for the very beginning. How was it new to the school?
    The problem was that it was being used as "retaliation" for the pride flags.

    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

  7. #7
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,335
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    The problem was that it was being used as "retaliation" for the pride flags.
    And it goes to proved how completely ignorant the Confederate Flag supporters are.

  8. #8
    Silver Member monsno_leedra's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,680
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Location
    West Virginia
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    And it goes to proved how completely ignorant the Confederate Flag supporters are.
    You known BMH you really should do a little history.

    There are really are two types of Confederate flag supporters to be honest. It's like I honor and support the Confederate flag. Mainly because I have ancestor's who served in Company D, 34th Virginia Infantry, Company F, 7th Virginia Infantry, CO G, 10th Virginia Home Guard, my wife has ancestors who served in the 26th Alabama. They served, some died, some were wounded but they did their duty under the times they lived. I honor them just as much as I honor the members of my family who served in the Union forces and make my family eligible for membership in the GAR.

    Many of those Civil War units continued to exist and have roots that continue to influence into today's military. The 116th Infantry, 29th Div out of Virginia was formed from basically the Stonewall Brigade which dates back to the Rev. War and Indian wars prior to that. The unit today has battle pennants on it's flag staff that date to its Civil War actions. Confederate Battle actions for which it was decorated. It's one of the units that landed at Normandy in the initial waves at Utah.

    The soldiers and sailors then unfortunately face many of the issues the military of today faces. They didn't get to decide the politics and laws of the government on either side. More often than not, they also didn't have much of a choice on whether they were going to enlist as it was mandatory service and the draft was enforced to ensure you served. That and many of them served because they though it was their public service to do so, just as many today do.

    Those in the referenced story probably are the red-neck the south will rise again type with the hyped idea of the historical notion. Lots of them fly the battle flag and have little to no idea of its true origin as the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia initially. But to be honest I've seen more people pushing it since it's been attacked than I saw it prior to all of this starting. All the false attacking has only served to make it more like attacking a martyr than anything.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

  9. #9
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,335
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    You known BMH you really should do a little history.

    There are really are two types of Confederate flag supporters to be honest. It's like I honor and support the Confederate flag. Mainly because I have ancestor's who served in Company D, 34th Virginia Infantry, Company F, 7th Virginia Infantry, CO G, 10th Virginia Home Guard, my wife has ancestors who served in the 26th Alabama. They served, some died, some were wounded but they did their duty under the times they lived. I honor them just as much as I honor the members of my family who served in the Union forces and make my family eligible for membership in the GAR.

    Many of those Civil War units continued to exist and have roots that continue to influence into today's military. The 116th Infantry, 29th Div out of Virginia was formed from basically the Stonewall Brigade which dates back to the Rev. War and Indian wars prior to that. The unit today has battle pennants on it's flag staff that date to its Civil War actions. Confederate Battle actions for which it was decorated. It's one of the units that landed at Normandy in the initial waves at Utah.

    The soldiers and sailors then unfortunately face many of the issues the military of today faces. They didn't get to decide the politics and laws of the government on either side. More often than not, they also didn't have much of a choice on whether they were going to enlist as it was mandatory service and the draft was enforced to ensure you served. That and many of them served because they though it was their public service to do so, just as many today do.

    Those in the referenced story probably are the red-neck the south will rise again type with the hyped idea of the historical notion. Lots of them fly the battle flag and have little to no idea of its true origin as the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia initially. But to be honest I've seen more people pushing it since it's been attacked than I saw it prior to all of this starting. All the false attacking has only served to make it more like attacking a martyr than anything.
    I already known my history way too well and I already know for a fact that flag represent racism. So I really don't care if your family support this kind of flag. I truly see what this flag represent. It represent for hatred and racism.

  10. #10
    PF Ordo Hereticus MaskedOne's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,925
    Religion
    Jedi
    Location
    elsewhere
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

    Re: Students Displayed A Confederate Flag In A High School Cafeteria In Response To P

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I agree. I feel like the students who displayed the Confederate flag need to be expelled. I don't care what their idiotic principal thinks.
    Unless a prior regulation banning it exists, this would simply end with the school on the losing (justifiably) side of a lawsuit. Ex Post Facto law is for the most part, bad law. That doesn't change because people are doing something particularly irritating.

    Honestly, I'd rather that we just mandate that people read the Cornerstone speech and several of the letters of secession in US History courses. The Civil War and the lead up to it don't get nearly enough attention in public schools and the leaders of the CSA are perfectly capable of condemning themselves and everything they stood for. They should be handed that opportunity on a silver platter.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

    "When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

    Yoda

    Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

    "But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

    John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

    "You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

    Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis



Similar Threads

  1. 24 injured in knife attack at High School
    By ChainLightning in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12 Apr 2014, 12:54
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30 Sep 2013, 17:53
  3. The Union Flag - symbol of the witch????
    By Kahlenda in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24 Jul 2013, 12:49
  4. Approval for postings to be displayed?
    By monsno_leedra in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12 May 2013, 06:14
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24 Feb 2012, 07:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •