Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's The Purpose Of A Deity

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    ....And as for God is to be there for me.
    So, if God's sole purpose is to be there for you, does that make God the servant?

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
      So, if God's sole purpose is to be there for you, does that make God the servant?
      No that's the other way around.

Comment

No that's the other way around.
        So in summing up, you're alive to have a good time while the deity is alive to serve you. Yet somehow, you're also serving the deity...

How do you serve the deity and what need does the deity have of you? What is the deity wanting to achieve that it needs your service? What if having a good time on earth doesn't serve the deity at a particular point in time?
        Last edited by Azvanna; 21 Dec 2019, 19:57.

Comment

So in summing up, you're alive to have a good time while the deity is alive to serve you. Yet somehow, you're also serving the deity...How do you serve the deity and what need does the deity have of you? What is the deity wanting to achieve that it needs your service? What if having a good time on earth doesn't serve the deity at a particular point in time?
          You seems to be missing the point. I'm having a good time and serve my God at the same time. You're Christian yourself. How do you serve your God?

Comment

You seems to be missing the point. I'm having a good time and serve my God at the same time. You're Christian yourself. How do you serve your God?
            I don't think I am missing the point. You asked the question: What's the purpose of a deity.
            Then you said the purpose of the deity you believe in is to be there for you while you have a good time on earth.
            I'm just trying to shine some light on how self-centred that sounds. God is there for you while you have a good time... but is God interested only in you having a good time?
            I'm asking questions to prompt you to think deeper. Take it or leave it.

Comment

I don't think I am missing the point. You asked the question: What's the purpose of a deity.
              Then you said the purpose of the deity you believe in is to be there for you while you have a good time on earth.
              I'm just trying to shine some light on how self-centred that sounds. God is there for you while you have a good time... but is God interested only in you having a good time?
              I'm asking questions to prompt you to think deeper. Take it or leave it.
              Well to me, God purpose is to serve him not me. My purpose is to serve him and to have a good spiritual life. God purpose is to worshipped him. Also I want to have a good life to worship him. I can't be anymore clearer than that.

Comment

The purpose of a deity is to produce the feeling that there is some control in situations that are uncontrollable by humans, or, failing that, to produce the feeling that there is a purpose in the outcome of uncontrollable events.

I.E. Deities are created by humans as a means of dealing with the inherent unpredictability of existence.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  The purpose of a deity is to produce the feeling that there is some control in situations that are uncontrollable by humans, or, failing that, to produce the feeling that there is a purpose in the outcome of uncontrollable events.

I.E. Deities are created by humans as a means of dealing with the inherent unpredictability of existence.
                  Ok. Thank you for your input, Corbin.

Comment

It's really hard to describe what the purpose of a deity is. I think it depends upon the person. You really can't say what a purpose of a deity is. I worship two deities, one who is a very paternal and protective deity. They both have their associated powers, but I do not see them for that. I see them as Mother and Father. I see them as loving me. However, I also know that I am not beyond their power if I have done something to upset them. I think that in a way the purpose of the deity or deities relies upon the person.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

I would argue religion generally speaking serves this role. The point of an ordered heavens is to bring chaos into order, to show how the divine curates stability. As I mentioned in my initial post, we see this often in various religions, where the gods principal purpose is establish and maintain order, or in chaoskampf myths.
                      Circe

Comment

There's no purpose to any living thing. There is a purpose to tools, created things that humans have designed. However, there is no purpose to living beings that just are. One of the human distractions is to find out life's purpose both for the individual and the species as a whole. What if we are the closest to God when we acknowledge there is no purpose - there is only being?

Comment

In the classical view, the only entity ion all of existence with any specific purpose, was demiurge. It was created in order to create all of this - but the All cannot have a purpose and none of this has any particular purpose.

That would make demiurge a very unique "whatever", if so.

Comment

There's no purpose to any living thing. There is a purpose to tools, created things that humans have designed. However, there is no purpose to living beings that just are. One of the human distractions is to find out life's purpose both for the individual and the species as a whole. What if we are the closest to God when we acknowledge there is no purpose - there is only being?
                            We run into problems when we discuss "purpose." To determine purpose, one needs to also posit a " point of view. "

For instance, if I pick up a rock and use it as part of a stone fense, the purpose of the rock, from my point of view, is to build a fense. From the point of view of my neighbor, the purpose of the rock is too keep the chickens out of his yard (by being used in dense construction).

From the point of view of the rock? Well, I dunno.

From the point of view of a (hypothetical) deity? How could I possibly know the reasoning of an entity for whom time & space are completely open?

So - while living things do not have a inherent purpose, they can be given purpose by humans.

So, the response to the question of "What is the purpose of a diety?" Can only be answered from the human perspective - it is the only one humans have access to.

Thus, my response previously was a response to the actual question of "What is the purpose of a deity to humans?"

- - - Updated - - -

We run into problems when we discuss "purpose." To determine purpose, one needs to also posit a " point of view. "

For instance, if I pick up a rock and use it as part of a stone fense, the purpose of the rock, from my point of view, is to build a fense. From the point of view of my neighbor, the purpose of the rock is too keep the chickens out of his yard (by being used in dense construction).

From the point of view of the rock? Well, I dunno.

From the point of view of a (hypothetical) deity? How could I possibly know the reasoning of an entity for whom time & space are completely open?

So - while living things do not have a inherent purpose, they can be given purpose by humans.

So, the response to the question of "What is the purpose of a diety?" Can only be answered from the human perspective - it is the only one humans have access to.

Thus, my response previously was a response to the actual question of "What is the purpose of a deity to humans?"
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You know I've been a Christian, then a Taoist, then Christian again and I always wonder what is the deity purpose for being in the world and the universe. So my question is what is the purpose of a deity?
                              In my culture a god is the power component we creat our own gods.

Comment

Working...
                              X