How I Almost Ruined The Craft Fair At My Childhood School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I Almost Ruined The Craft Fair At My Childhood School

This is a true story that happens so many years ago at my childhood school. When I was a teenager at my childhood school there was a Craft Fair. The Craft Fair is a school event that happens at every December and students make arts and crafts at art class and other people from our school buy it. Also, there was a Santa Claus who gives our candy canes to little kids in my childhood school. I outgrew Santa and I thought of a joke to tell that Santa Claus isn't real. Well of course at the time I didn't know any better because I was a teenager and immature at the time. As I was about to open my big mouth, my teacher stops me and say my name don't with an angry look. So I didn't say anything and I stop myself from ruining their childhood. If I did, I would have lost so many points and be demoted at Level 1. My childhood school have a point and level system. So that's my story everybody.

Re: How I Almost Ruined The Craft Fair At My Childhood School

You have to understand that Santa Claus or St. Nicholas was real. He was a real man and they made him a saint because of the things he did. Because of his deeds his legend has spread around the world in different kinds of ways. So in America we believe him as Santa Claus and that he lives in the North Pole and that he has 8 reindeer, sometimes 9, and has elves to help him. You never want to tell a child that there is no Santa Claus. Just like you never want to tell them that there is no Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny. They won't know till they're grown that it really is not true. They need that spirit for as long as it can last.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Why do they need *that* spirit? What purpose does it serve them?
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

It's mostly in how it's presented. If Santa is presented as the generous spirit of Christmas/Yule,etc then there are lessons that can be imparted from it, and I'd say it's worthwhile. If Santa is just a fat dude who bring gifts to "good" kids, it's much less valuable. My daughter is 5. This is the first Yule we've done Santa. And it was because despite the fact that we never taught it to her ourselves, she picked it up and is determined to believe. We didn't have the heart to crush that belief. So, we'll direct that energy in a way that engages her to be considerate and generous in her own life.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
          Why do they need *that* spirit? What purpose does it serve them?
          I think Shahaku sort of said it all. It's the spirit of Christmas that is important to instill in children. So why not let the children live fantasy just for a little while?
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

If they know it's a Fantasy, sure why not. Adults fantasize about all sorts of stuff, but we have the benefit of knowing it's fake or just in our heads (most of the time). But kids don't always know the difference between reality and made up bs'ery. Why can't the values, beliefs and spirit of being kind, caring, giving and togetherness be taught without all the extra?
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            Sneak Attack

Comment

If they know it's a Fantasy, sure why not. Adults fantasize about all sorts of stuff, but we have the benefit of knowing it's fake or just in our heads (most of the time). But kids don't always know the difference between reality and made up bs'ery. Why can't the values, beliefs and spirit of being kind, caring, giving and togetherness be taught without all the extra?
              Let my guess, you didn't have a good childhood when growing up?

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                Let my guess, you didn't have a good childhood when growing up?
                How did you arrive at that conclusion? (You're also wrong.)
                Sneak Attack

Comment

How did you arrive at that conclusion? (You're also wrong.)
                  Well let see:

#1. Your parents must tell you that Santa Claus isn't real at a very young age.

#2. Your childhood was shattered after your parents told you the truth about Santa being imaginary.

#3. Which comes into conclusion that you don't believe in Santa Claus meaning that you didn't have a good childhood.

I think that sums up my conclusion.

Comment

I am going to suggest that this thread is moving into the area of personal attack; maybe we should tone down the assumptions about others before we derail (not that anyone involved needs me to protect them).

Juniper, I get that the whole thing is dishonest. I can't really argue with that. I can answer with my own narrow experience, which I assume applies to at least a few other people, but not universally.

We did not start teaching our children about Santa.We always talked about real vs. made up when dealing with media. However, they quickly picked up on it from outside culture, including family who were invaluable in forming a safe community for them. We were then faced with crushing a sense of joy and magic in a very young children whom we adored, or letting it play itself out. Very young children live in a fantasy world much of the time; which is why they can play pretend for hours. I'm not sure that the Santa stuff is much different than playing school, or dragons or explorers. It is just that for once lots of adults play along. Both of our children worked it out and accepted the truth at their own pace. One of them is particularly observant of the world, including the bad parts. He is also very empathetic and imaginative. He took a long time to let go of the fantasy stuff. I think it helped him cope with the bad parts of the real world. In his case, we were very careful in transitioning from Santa is real to Santa is a story adults tell children. Ditto, Hogwarts. We did not think of taking care with the Muppets, and frankly that moment kind of crushed all of us. Now he is still empathetic and imaginative and also extremely skeptical. He literally handed over his childhood fantasy things to me for safekeeping and moved into adulthood when he was ready. He has many friends and interests and does well in honors classes at school. I strongly believe that the fantasy stuff let him build up defenses to the world and develop his imagination and skills such as writing, as well as helping him build his own moral framework.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
                      I am going to suggest that this thread is moving into the area of personal attack; maybe we should tone down the assumptions about others before we derail (not that anyone involved needs me to protect them).

Juniper, I get that the whole thing is dishonest. I can't really argue with that. I can answer with my own narrow experience, which I assume applies to at least a few other people, but not universally.

We did not start teaching our children about Santa. We always talked about real vs. made up when dealing with media. However, they quickly picked up on it from outside culture, including family who was invaluable in forming a safe community for them. We were then faced with crushing a sense of joy and magic in very young children whom we adored or letting it play itself out. Very young children live in a fantasy world much of the time; which is why they can play pretend for hours. I'm not sure that the Santa stuff is much different than playing school, or dragons or explorers. It is just that for once lots of adults play along. Both of our children worked it out and accepted the truth at their own pace. One of them is particularly observant of the world, including the bad parts. He is also very empathetic and imaginative. He took a long time to let go of the fantasy stuff. I think it helped him cope with the bad parts of the real world. In his case, we were very careful in transitioning from Santa is real to Santa is a story adults tell children. Ditto, Hogwarts. We did not think of taking care with the Muppets, and frankly that moment kind of crushed all of us. Now he is still empathetic and imaginative and also extremely sceptical. He literally handed over his childhood fantasy things to me for safekeeping and moved into adulthood when he was ready. He has many friends and interests and does well in honours classes at school. I strongly believe that the fantasy stuff let him build up defences to the world and develop his imagination and skills such as writing, as well as helping him build his own moral framework.
                      You're right. I didn't mean to attack Juniper in a nasty way but I do understand where she's coming from. My apologies.

Comment

Working...
                      X