X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Are You Voting For This Year?

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    I think the biggest qualification for a president should be empathy and character. But those are hard to measure. I know they're things Trump lacks significantly, and I don't feel I've seen much evidence of it in Biden. But I don't know them, and it would take much more time than I have right now to figure it out. My main point was that blindly supporting a single candidate because you feel they have more experience shouldn't be the only determining factor. And looking at how they voted on those major issues can help you get a feel for their character.
    Well I did my homework with everybody nominee and feel that Biden is more qualified than everybody else.

Warren: She secretly doesn't support the LGBT
    Sanders: He's sexist against women
    Buttigieg: He likes Chick-Fil-A food even though that franchise is Anti-LGBT and plus he's gay himself.

So I did all of my homework and analyze everybody else with the nominee so I feel like Biden is very qualified and competent to feel to need to vote for him.

Comment

I think the biggest qualification for a president should be empathy and character. But those are hard to measure. I know they're things Trump lacks significantly, and I don't feel I've seen much evidence of it in Biden. But I don't know them, and it would take much more time than I have right now to figure it out.
      Thing about looking for compassion and character is that they are most visible in their absence. You can safely assume that a person is of average compassion and character, unless they demonstrate otherwise (which is usually easily determined by listening to those who have have had dealings with that individual).

Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to identify people with high levels of compassion and character because A. those people seldom sing their own praises (in fact, doing so almost guarantees that compassion and character are lacking), and B. people forget mind actions quickly - unless they become close to the person, while had actions stick to your mind like a tick.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the biggest qualification for a president should be empathy and character. But those are hard to measure. I know they're things Trump lacks significantly, and I don't feel I've seen much evidence of it in Biden. But I don't know them, and it would take much more time than I have right now to figure it out.
      Thing about looking for compassion and character is that they are most visible in their absence. You can safely assume that a person is of average compassion and character, unless they demonstrate otherwise (which is usually easily determined by listening to those who have have had dealings with that individual).

Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to identify people with high levels of compassion and character because A. those people seldom sing their own praises (in fact, doing so almost guarantees that compassion and character are lacking), and B. people forget mind actions quickly - unless they become close to the person, while had actions stick to your mind like a tick.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The narrative of the ulterior motive has become a sort of political golem. It has no life of it's own. A person really can believe in horrible shit...and a person really can believe that the (to us) horrible shit that they espouse will make a positive difference.

Its not on account of "ulterior motives" or "shady history" that we might disagree with a person, we disagree because we think they are wrong. There is a very real cost to imagining that people or their positions are bad "because they are dishonest"..compared to "because we disagree with them".

So far, shady history and disingenuity have been used as euphemisms for political disagreement, in thread. Isn't it important to understand the distinction?
        Last edited by Rhythm; 25 Jan 2020, 02:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
          The narrative of the ulterior motive has become a sort of political golem. It has no life of its own. A person really can believe in horrible shit...and a person really can believe that the (to us) horrible shit that they espouse will make a positive difference.

It's not on account of "ulterior motives" or "shady history" that we might disagree with a person, we disagree because we think they are wrong. There is a very real cost to imagining that people or their positions are bad "because they are dishonest"..compared to "because we disagree with them".

So far, shady history and disingenuity have been used as euphemisms for political disagreement, in the thread. Isn't it important to understand the distinction?
          Well Well I already explained who I'm voting for so that's that
          Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 25 Jan 2020, 05:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
            Well Well I already explained who I'm voting for so that's that
            Then you don't have to continue replying to, or even reading, the thread.

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
            The narrative of the ulterior motive has become a sort of political golem. It has no life of it's own. A person really can believe in horrible shit...and a person really can believe that the (to us) horrible shit that they espouse will make a positive difference.

Its not on account of "ulterior motives" or "shady history" that we might disagree with a person, we disagree because we think they are wrong. There is a very real cost to imagining that people or their positions are bad "because they are dishonest"..compared to "because we disagree with them".

So far, shady history and disingenuity have been used as euphemisms for political disagreement, in thread. Isn't it important to understand the distinction?
            I understand where you're coming from with this, but I do believe that some political stances and public quotes show a difference in character and morals that matter. Some things you just can't agree to disagree on.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Right, there are disagreements that matter. Still...that's a disagreement. Not a shady history. It's not clear that you and Bart are even discussing the same thing when using the term - and this is what I'm commenting on. Especially considering the examples. You have a public history of votes and positions in mind, he has petes preference in chicken sandwiches.

Liberals need to find a better way to communicate amongst themselves, or you'll end up continuing to amplify conservatives negative messaging.

Comment

I continued using the term because it's how Bart views their voting history and stances, as shady history. Perhaps, we could have used more clear language.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                X