Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant - Guilty of Rape (or not)?

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

The price for reporting is brutal, and there is little guaranty that there is a conviction. I don't mean financial cost, although that can be a reality. It is the accusations of lying, the process of reliving trauma over again, of humiliation and having the most personal intimate details of your body and your life judged. Literally photographs of your body as evidence. Victim blaming is real. I've known many, many rape victims/survivors both personally and through professional work. Most did not chose to involve authorities, partly because of denial as a coping mechanism, and partly because they just want it over with and do not want to relive it or suffer the consequences of legal/police action. I have seen a number of people try to deal with it through their churches, or were children only given that option. This generally doesn't go so well for the victim either.

I absolutely believe that sometimes people lie about having been raped. But not anywhere near the number of people who don't report due to fear and shame and denial.

In the Kobe Bryant case, the woman who reported was something of a hero for coming forward, because it was unlikely that she would be treated with any respect accusing a sports hero. She was trash talked and outed everywhere. Eventually, she dropped criminal charges even though there was an unusually good supply of forensic evidence. She did pursue civil charges. Kobe Bryant himself publicly admitted that the incident had occurred. He claimed that he did not realize that she was not consenting. He apologized for causing her physical and emotional pain. He publicly stated that she was not in it for money or fame or revenge, but simply because she was traumatized and wanted justice. I saw this again yesterday and I know it was a legally agreed statement, but I can't help thinking that it is more than most people get now. There is nothing wrong with grieving what Kobe Bryant meant to you, but it doesn't mean he didn't do it.

I do think that as a society we are struggling with supporting an accuser and supporting rule of law and presumption of innocence at the same time. I guess it is just difficult for many people to hold two opposing ideals at the same time. It is also frustrating when we see public figures blatantly breaking the law and laughing at the idea of being held to justice.
    Last edited by Prickly Pear; 28 Jan 2020 at 15:10.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

We've done the whole false accusation topic before. I don't have anything new to say since the topic was raised in 2018 so...

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    A bit late but

https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-abou...e-accusations/

makes for an interesting read regarding false rape claims. It covers both their rarity and what they actually tend to look like when they happen. I encourage reading the whole thing but one interesting point is that false charges rarely go far

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Furthermore, in the most detailed study ever conducted of sexual assault reports to police, undertaken for the British Home Office in the early 2000s, out of 216 complaints that were classified as false, only 126 had even gotten to the stage where the accuser lodged a formal complaint. Only 39 complainants named a suspect. Only six cases led to an arrest, and only two led to charges being brought before they were ultimately deemed false. (Here, as elsewhere, it has to be assumed that some unknown percentage of the cases classified as false actually involved real rapes; what they don’t involve is countless innocent men’s lives being ruined.)
    This isn't to say that no one is ever convicted falsely of rape. Going off US stats, the National Registry of Exonerations records 52 people exonerated after a conviction of sexual assault. So people have been falsely convicted. Just remember that the Registry started in 1989. So that's 52 people exonerated after conviction in just shy of 30 years. By contrast, 790 people have been exonerated after convictions of murder in the same time period.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Re: Kobe Bryant - Guilty of Rape (or not)?

This is now the new home for this discussion.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

False accusations happen all the time especially celebrities. Even if Kobe did admit to having sexual interactions with her: It was consensual.

Oct 2006
    Phrase

Please post some credible facts that back up your claim that false accusations happen all the time.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    Sneak Attack

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Please post some credible facts that back up your claim that false accusations happen all the time.
    Take Michael Jackson for example. He was accused for molestation twice. One that he got arrested for but was acquitted because of the lack of evidence. Then many years later after Michael death two so called victims come forward and accuse him for molesting them in 1992? Ok I don't understand why not coming forward in 1992 and tell somebody and reported this accusation in 1992 when Michael was alive? It really doesn't make any sense at all to come forward many years later to make up a complete lie and accuse him when he's not alive anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the Me Too Movement is somewhat of a witchhunt. These victims accuse many celebrities such as Mariah Carey, Kevin Spacey, Charlie Sheen and many others for the same accusation. I don't believe any of these accusations are true.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 28 Jan 2020 at 18:10.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

We'll never know about some people unfortunately. Michael Jackson was one of my favorite artists. We don't know if the people who came out did it because they were victims or not. All I know is that we need to not rush into judgement too quickly. There are a lot of negative things that people want to focus on that probably are true, but we can't know that. I say that we don't judge either side too quickly before we get the facts. Well I don't think we should judge at all, but that is neither here or there. The point is that we can't judge until we know all the facts and make sure they are credible.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Fanfiction.net Profile

Oct 2006
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Take Michael Jackson for example. He was accused for molestation twice. One that he got arrested for but was acquitted because of the lack of evidence. Then many years later after Michael death two so called victims come forward and accuse him for molesting them in 1992? Ok I don't understand why not coming forward in 1992 and tell somebody and reported this accusation in 1992 when Michael was alive? It really doesn't make any sense at all to come forward many years later to make up a complete lie and accuse him when he's not alive anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the Me Too Movement is somewhat of a witchhunt. These victims accuse many celebrities such as Mariah Carey, Kevin Spacey, Charlie Sheen and many others for the same accusation. I don't believe any of these accusations are true.
    This line of thinking is part of the problem. Are you crying because men's reputations are being ruined because of these allegations? What about the victims who come forward? They are scrutinized even more by the public. Sometimes so much that they are being shamed into dropping charges because of the harassment they are getting.

Reporting sexual crimes comes with such a stigma that many don't bother reporting them. Those that do come forward should be believed and the situation should be investigated. I do, however, think that these crimes should be investigated discretely and only made public when evidence that supports the accusation has been found.
    Sneak Attack

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    This line of thinking is part of the problem. Are you crying because men's reputations are being ruined because of these allegations? What about the victims who come forward? They are scrutinized even more by the public. Sometimes so much that they are being shamed into dropping charges because of the harassment they are getting.

Reporting sexual crimes comes with such a stigma that many don't bother reporting them. Those that do come forward should be believed and the situation should be investigated. I do, however, think that these crimes should be investigated discreetly and only made public when evidence that supports the accusation has been found.
    If the story is accurate and makes sense then I'll believe who more believable. They're two sides of the story and I'll judge for myself by believing who is more believable.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

-Kobe Bryant.