Making/Casting Runes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making/Casting Runes

I've tried to make runes again, this time in wood. Was not that hard. You just need a nice round brench of a tree, than saw of a small piece, than take something to carve it in (I used hamer and chisel :P) and than i put some inkt in it to make it visible. After that i saw some small parts of the wood to make it smaller. This is the result:

Last edited by ghosthaunter; 09 Feb 2011, 09:42.
    Please, just call me Ghost

I want to be like the moon. A lonely observator of earth, watching the people live, love and die

Knowledge destroys enemies, too much knowledge makes enemies ~Ghost~

It doesn't matter how you practice your magick. As long as the thought behind it is clear, it will work

Comment

These are my temporary runes that I made before I make my rune rods that I think I am going to use beach drift wood from up north (I am from Michigan, USA). I used a painters pen and some decorative rocks my mom got me a long time ago that I never found a use for. I cleansed them first (spiritually) using the elements, earth, air, fire, water. Then painted on the rune symbols while focusing my energy on what that rune means to me. After I blessed them and bound the runes to me. Let me know what you think

sigpic

Comment

They're beautiful!
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thanks! I really like them. Though they aren't from nature or hand picked by me... I feel connected to them. I think anyone who makes something has a deeper connection than with something store bought.
          sigpic

Comment

Those are really nice, Liadan!

If you want to try something cool, you can carve a one piece mold in hard wood (or plaster) and cast pewter in it.

Pewter melts easily on the stove in an old pot, and can be ladled out using a bent tablespoon. Drop a small chunk of lithium grease on top of the pewter to keep the surface metal from oxidizing.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

^ I really like that idea. What happens to pewter if it oxidizes?
              sigpic

Comment

Nothing serious, just annoying. The surface layer of the liquid metal forms a crusty skin. The metal below will be fine, but that crusty mess gets in the way.

If you don't happen to have a tube of lithium grease laying around, some people use olive oil.

Here's a link to a company I use for metals and general supplies - I recommend the last alloy on the page. Don't use anything with lead or cadnium in it.

http://www.contenti.com/products/metals/176-888.html
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Those are really nice, Liadan!

If you want to try something cool, you can carve a one piece mold in hard wood (or plaster) and cast pewter in it.

Pewter melts easily on the stove in an old pot, and can be ladled out using a bent tablespoon. Drop a small chunk of lithium grease on top of the pewter to keep the surface metal from oxidizing.
                  By small do you mean about pea size? ... It is also a flux ... If you stir it in the metal it helps keep the metals from separating since pewter is an alloy of tin and usually some bit of copper, antimony bismuth and sometimes lead in the old stuff ... Modern American made pewter is lead free ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Yup - about pea size. I should mention that it smells like burning grease, though - run a fan!

Comment

Or do it in garage or even outside ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                        Or do it in garage or even outside ...
                        good to know!
                        sigpic

Comment

That's where i do my bullet casting ... And because I have a slight fear of lead fumes ...

Comment

I considered making mine from polymer clay as well. There are some great tutorials for making semi precious stone slike torquoise from polymer clay.

I figure i'm not so stuck on the natural ingredients thing. I'm more of akitcheny witch anyway-polymer clay has to bake.
                            Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Hmmm,I have some small stones,very black and kinda flat. I think they are used for decorative things in gardens.
                              I was wondering if these stones could be etched,or drawn on for runes.
                              The stones posted earlier look like the stones I have,mine are just jet black. I have about 10 of them. I just did a link to the pic of the other stones.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...amon/runes.jpg

I just found this searching about rune stones. Nice stuff,a bit expensive for some.

this site has some items for Strega ,and they do have things by Raven Grimassi

Discover exquisite handcrafted jewelry, engraved crystals, and unique gifts at Cast a Stone. Explore our wide selection of gemstone products, including Moldavite, Essential oils, Futhark and Witches Rune Sets, and more. Shop now for high-quality, energizing products to enhance your spiritual journey and well-being.

Last edited by anunitu; 23 Feb 2012, 16:17.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Omidottir and I made a set of cedar runes last winter. they are cut with a skill saw from the round of a red cedar log. Sanded all around till they are smooth, and then we used a Dremel to carve the runes deeply into each 1/4" thick slab. the runes were stained with a mixture of menstral blood (it is said runes need blood to be properly energized) and wood stain. then they were coated with linseed oil.
                                Last edited by Taliesyn; 24 Feb 2012, 06:53. Reason: added A pic

Comment

Working...
                                X