Michigan schools closed for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michigan schools closed for the year

So we're gonna do some distanc-y learning shiite.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Michigan schools closed for the year

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    So we're gonna do some distanc-y learning shiite.
    If your state can pull off a half-baked distance learning attempt between now and August then I will be deeply impressed. Pulling off anything beyond what could charitably be described as "deeply flawed but maybe, possibly, almost sufficient if next year puts a little bit too much time into reviewing what should have been covered this semester...." should be construed as divine intervention.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The governor down here in WV is talking about closing the schools for the rest of the year. This is crazy. I'm hoping that we can maybe home school my nephew if that happens so he doesn't have to repeat the year over. I don't think that would be fair.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

MaskedOne, I'll tell ya.

Whatever we do at this point, for the reasons you're expeting, anything done will be purely nominal.

I'm glad I won't be there for next year's clusterfook...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          MaskedOne, I'll tell ya.

Whatever we do at this point, for the reasons you're expeting, anything done will be purely nominal.

I'm glad I won't be there for next year's clusterfook...
          Yeah, that sounds like the kind of fun best avoided. The single upside is that depending on whether there's any will on the state level to support it, the various districts might manage to put together something that could be used if something like this happens again in 10 years. Of course, given your prior commentary about Michigan's state gov and how it handles education, I'm more expecting the IT departments to have a theoretical recommendation that no one ever puts the funding into prep work for. End result being that if this type of problem reappears in 10 years the conversation will look like:

Superintendent: Our district is closing for the rest of the year, what is our contingency for this gonna look like.
          Technology head: Find a scapegoat for the fact that we aren't ready on any level whatsoever to deal with this and then talk fast.
          Super: WTF?! All districts were required to draw up contingencies for this after 2020.
          Technology: We did draw up a contingency. That contingency required a significant amount of money and time to be spent laying groundwork. Less than 1/100th of the required money and time were allocated. No money + No time = No Groundwork. No Groundwork = find a scapegoat. Have fun.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Buy all students pads.

Until that happens, logistics is the death sentence.

You're right, we all knew it, but we were trying to survive while our politicians were intent on destroying public education.
            Last edited by B. de Corbin; 02 Apr 2020, 19:33.

Comment

What gets me is I recall over 10 years ago Virginia trying to put a distance learning back bone in place. Our IT office for the school system I was employed with was charged to get something in place so our school system's kids could log into the system to do all their work from home. That arose after we had been out of school for something like a month due to weather. Don't recall it ever fully getting off the ground so all kids had both access and equipment to do it though. Those who had computers at home though and internet of course did manage somewhat.

I was out of the system but I recall it came up again a few years later when we had that polar vortex strike the country and so much was closed. But once again same limitations, those who had computers and net access could do it, those without were screwed.

Still even with the limited capabilities there was still lots of teachers who didn't get their material on-line. Then the quality of material wasn't what you'd call the best. Definitely not college level with video chat or presentation type lectures or video's.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

So...

I'm back to work (from home).

As near as I can tell, the plan for teaching during plague is:

Make shit sandwiches for anybody who wants them.

Comment

oh B.De. your language is so elegant to the MAX
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

We've been distance learning for over a month now...

Check out minion 2:

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X