X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Election 2020 Coverage Thread

Originally posted by Yazichestvo View Post
    If by “they” you mean the voters who turned out, then yes I agree. But I dislike the narrative that “they” the Democratic Party chose him for us, because honestly this primary was wide open. If progressives didn’t turn out (and we kind of didn’t) that’s on us.
    I mean "they" as in the Democratic party. They weren't going to allow anyone else to become the Dem. candidate. They keep making dumb mistakes and squashing anyone who tries to be progressive and forward thinking. Hillary wasn't a better choice back in 2016, either. Our elections are a joke and Trump is an idiot who makes everything about ratings, as if life is a reality show. I can't understand why anyone would want to support him and his vile behaviour. And the Democratic party just seems to shrug, that Biden's a better choice than Trump. Well, duh; Anyone's a better choice than Trump. That shouldn't be the only thing that the opposition should have going for itself.

They'll make just enough change to shut up the loudest screamers but keep everything else the same so they can keep raking in the money. And in this case, "they" refers to the folks in power. on ALL sides.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      I mean "they" as in the Democratic party. They weren't going to allow anyone else to become the Dem. candidate. They keep making dumb mistakes and squashing anyone who tries to be progressive and forward thinking. Hillary wasn't a better choice back in 2016, either. Our elections are a joke and Trump is an idiot who makes everything about ratings, as if life is a reality show. I can't understand why anyone would want to support him and his vile behaviour. And the Democratic party just seems to shrug, that Biden's a better choice than Trump. Well, duh; Anyone's a better choice than Trump. That shouldn't be the only thing that the opposition should have going for itself.

They'll make just enough change to shut up the loudest screamers but keep everything else the same so they can keep raking in the money. And in this case, "they" refers to the folks in power. on ALL sides.
      You are absolutely, 100% correct on this. H.Clinton is prolly the only possible candidate who could have lost to tRump, and so she did.

Also, it is true that the Democrats have been doing juuusssst enough to get by (if you exclude Obama - not a perfect president, but he normalized 2 main issues: non-binary sexuality and health care. MASSIVE acheivement).

Currently, though, I would suggest that a true progressive would: A. Prolly not beat tRump, and, if such a candidate did win, would end up being ineffective in Washingto, considering the current social climate, and B. We desperately need somebody who will get us back to stable, before we can expect to move forward.

Also, I think that the days where Dems and Repubs could get by with high sounding B.S. may well be over. Voters had been cruising on smooth water for so long that they have forgotten to watch for reefs. Nothing like a devastating wreck to put people back to work doing their job of keeping watch over their goobermint.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Supposedly, there's an executive order forthcoming to do with social media. I'll keep my mouth shut until I see exactly what it entails, but let's say for the moment that I'm not optimistic as to its projected effects on the campaign season.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
          Supposedly, there's an executive order forthcoming to do with social media. I'll keep my mouth shut until I see exactly what it entails, but let's say for the moment that I'm not optimistic as to its projected effects on the campaign season.
          Yeah, he's making threats.

Realisticly, though, since he is only emperor in his own mind, there is little he can actually DO, within the constitution, other than make threats.

On the other hand, he is the ass post the Republicans are kissing, so all bets are off.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
          Yeah, he's making threats.

Realisticly, though, since he is only emperor in his own mind, there is little he can actually DO, within the constitution, other than make threats.

On the other hand, he is the ass post the Republicans are kissing, so all bets are off.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            You are absolutely, 100% correct on this. H.Clinton is prolly the only possible candidate who could have lost to tRump, and so she did.
            Ehh, I sort of take issue with this narrative. Hillary was not in any way my favorite candidate but if her rivals could not beat her in primaries then assuming that they would have a chance in hell against Trump in the general election is mildly counter-intuitive. Bernie didn't just lose to Clinton in state contests and delegates in 2016. He lost the popular vote to her by a solid three million plus. I have non-existent confidence that he could've taken Trump in the general. He is currently losing against Biden about as badly as he did against Clinton and my faith in his odds against Trump are only higher this time because Trump has had several years to piss people off. I'm ignoring the other candidates because much as I'd probably prefer any number of them, they are all pulling numbers so bad that Bernie looks positively awesome for the general election by comparison.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yeah, you win.

But Clinton had already been made the Sarah Palin of the left. It was a huge smear campaign that has been going on for years and even people who should have known better had swallowed the pill of lies.

She won the popular election, but, well, it's a confusing mess that I can't sort out.

Comment

it is seriously fubar for sure
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Well.

Surprise.

tRump, our official "Mad Emporer," knew the Cootie Virus was extremely dangerous and air bourn, but pretended it wasn't either, and had a series of unmasked relies while simultaneously actively discouraging prophylactics.

He has also known that Cooties 19 is dangerous to children while demanding that they go back to school.

This is a revelation.

Before I thought tRump was simply an outstanding example of utter stupidity. Now it is obvious that he's just plain depraved.

Comment

Well, tonight was the presidential debate and I didn't watch it. From what I heard by other people it was a huge dumpster fire.

Comment

It was...

... both hilarious...

...and horrifying.

Comment

It was a mess. I'd like to offer something more profound, but the debate just made me want to drink.
                        Circe

Comment

with you on that i just want it to be over with a hole where trump stood with a smoking creator
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I refused to watch - I knew it was going to be a shit show and that half of the nation was going to be thrilled with the continued mockery of this nation - it is sickening - it has changed my whole outlook on society

Comment

So...

Watching the split-screen debate, I called my 4 year old granddaughter over, pointed to the tv and said "One of those is a nice man, the other one isn't. Show me which is the nice man."

The one she picked is the one I'll vote for.
                              Last edited by B. de Corbin; 30 Sep 2020, 06:54.

Comment

no direct answers were given by either candidate.

Comment

Working...
                                X