This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All the things COVID-19

I don't even want to think about what it would be like if I were still in GA right now...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I don't even want to think about what it would be like if I were still in GA right now...
      How are they handling it in Germany?
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
        How are they handling it in Germany?
        The whole country went on lockdown until the R value was less than 1, then they slowly lifted restrictions, one set of restrictions at a time. Everything is open now except bars and nightclubs, and maybe spas? I think are still closed...gyms and pools opened last week or the week before. The Army is lagging 2 weeks behind the German government of what its personnel are allowed to do...so I might be a bit off on the timing of when things were allowed to open We can't travel to some countries (the US is about to have a travel ban to the EU if its not gone into effect already). There are still no large events allowed. Restaurants and other places are limited on their seating. Everyone wears a mask in stores (its required) and lots of stores have hand washing or sanitizer stations.

There really weren't any problems with people getting tested if they were sick...in some places, you called a hotline and they came to your house and tested you at the door (which really, is the best option). It seems like the virus wasn't as bad here (people got better care, sooner, plus its a younger population than Italy, for example) and they have plenty of ICU beds. From what I understand, people have been given money to be able to pay their bills and such from the government and there are moratoriums on being able to evict people or on shutting off utilities, etc (though that is hard in Germany to do anyhow, from what I've heard), and there are relief programs for small businesses.

On base, all facilities require handwashing upon entry and physical distancing pretty much everywhere. Even though lockdown restrictions are lifted, we are still being allowed to work from home where possible and are limiting our work to things that can be done without personal contact...lots of email interviews rather than in-person inspections.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Hooah.

Comment

Mississippi hit a record high of new cases on Thursday of 1100 and today we were at 1,000 Rankin county is at 450 cases. Gov. Tate Reeves said we were going down but not enough. No one is wearing masks here any more. Not going to lie my anxiety is trying to break threw and send me in a panic or a rage. I haven't decided which one yet. I pretty much hate everyone!!!

We unenrolled Monster from preschool this week. Mississippi has not announced how they are going to handle this school year, just that students will be back in school in one shape of another by August 7th. And I don't see them keeping a bunch of 3 year olds in masks all day, not allowed to play or share supplies.

We've also had quite a few restaurants either close down or go back to curbside only due to a rise in cases and employees testing positive. We have decided to stick with curbside only till August.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Iowa has been rising again too. Our governor said last week that schools shouldn't require masks. We're supposed to hear our districts plan by mid July. Each district is responsible for writing their own. I really want to homeschool Nova for a year. I don't trust then to have a plan that's actually mentally, physically, and emotionally good for the kids. They don't manage that under normal circumstances.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

My county is now at 43. We had 9 a month ago. Yesterday my neighbor (we're friends; she's very nice) wanted to come over. I was like, um no, I'll talk to you outside. She just doesn't get it....We talked over the fence and I stayed far back.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                  Iowa has been rising again too. Our governor said last week that schools shouldn't require masks. We're supposed to hear our districts plan by mid July. Each district is responsible for writing their own. I really want to homeschool Nova for a year. I don't trust then to have a plan that's actually mentally, physically, and emotionally good for the kids. They don't manage that under normal circumstances.
                  All of our districts are in charge of their own plan as well, and we are suppose to hear the purposed plan on July 25th and they are to start back, however they decided to do it, by August 7th. Which is not giving parents any time to get the supplies and things needed. I am lucky I have one more year before I need to put him in school. Actually in Mississippi he doesn't have to start school till 1st grade, which I'm not going to wait that long before we starts learning. I will homeschool him first. Speaking of homeschool I have quite a few friends who are going to homeschool this year. I would love to know what you decide to do how and how you plan on doing it.

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  My county is now at 43. We had 9 a month ago. Yesterday my neighbor (we're friends; she's very nice) wanted to come over. I was like, um no, I'll talk to you outside. She just doesn't get it....We talked over the fence and I stayed far back.
                  I wish they would get it! I really do.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

Pearl, Mississippi just announced its 2020 school plans. Students are to start back August 7th, the school is providing masks however while in the classroom they don't have to wear them. I am so glad Monster is not old enough to start public schools.

P.S. the state legislature insisted or doing a in person session and as of today 26 legislative members have tested positive for Covid-19, including the Lt. Gov, Tate Reeves has urged anyone who has come in contact with a member or staff of the state legislature to get tested immediately.

Comment

The high school here is planning their delayed Prom for the end of July. Supposedly the kids will wear masks. I'm friends with the woman who does tuxedo rental and she's going nuts because all the schools have scheduled, rescheduled, cancelled, etc. So far, school is still on track to begin 8/24. That's in 45-ish days. We'll see.
                      sigpic

Comment

Where I live. I heard that schools and colleges in New York City are going to be reopened in September.

Comment

The high school in my town is having their delayed prom on 7/24. There's a release form that parents have to sign, which includes:

The undersigned agrees to release, discharge, hold harmless and indemnify the School
                          District, its agents, employees, officers, Board of Education members, insurers and others acting on the
                          District’s behalf (the “Releasees”), of and from any and all claims, demands, causes of action and/or
                          legal liabilities for injuries to or death of my child occurring during, or resulting from, or participation in
                          the above-mentioned program or activity and related in any way to COVID-19, even if the cause,
                          damages or injuries are alleged to be the fault of or alleged to be caused by the negligence or
                          carelessness of the Releasees.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            The high school in my town is having their delayed prom on 7/24. There's a release form that parents have to sign, which includes:

The undersigned agrees to release, discharge, hold harmless and indemnify the School
                            District, its agents, employees, officers, Board of Education members, insurers and others acting on the
                            District’s behalf (the “Releasees”), of and from any and all claims, demands, causes of action and/or
                            legal liabilities for injuries to or death of my child occurring during, or resulting from, or participation in
                            the above-mentioned program or activity and related in any way to COVID-19, even if the cause,
                            damages or injuries are alleged to be the fault of or alleged to be caused by the negligence or
                            carelessness of the Releasees.

Nope, nope, and nope. They shouldn't be holding that at all!

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, nope, and nope. They shouldn't be holding that at all!

Comment

We're up to 80 cases as of yesterday, 3 hospitalized. The 2 most recently diagnosed are somehow involved in the school system (they've been having summer school the last few weeks). Our governor is hell-bent on re-opening schools on schedule, etc. It's absolutely insane. The school district added a letter to their website which includes this: "Only those individuals who are deemed at risk of exposure by our local health department will be notified by the District. We will not send district-wide notifications for positive or presumptive positive cases unless a child or staff member needs to be notified of the potential exposure, according to health department guidelines. The only exception to this procedure would be in the case of a community or school-wide event where contact tracing could not happen."

I'm living in a loony bin.

- - - Updated - - -

We're up to 80 cases as of yesterday, 3 hospitalized. The 2 most recently diagnosed are somehow involved in the school system (they've been having summer school the last few weeks). Our governor is hell-bent on re-opening schools on schedule, etc. It's absolutely insane. The school district added a letter to their website which includes this: "Only those individuals who are deemed at risk of exposure by our local health department will be notified by the District. We will not send district-wide notifications for positive or presumptive positive cases unless a child or staff member needs to be notified of the potential exposure, according to health department guidelines. The only exception to this procedure would be in the case of a community or school-wide event where contact tracing could not happen."

I'm living in a loony bin.
                              sigpic

Comment

I see some of my posts double (some other people's, too.) My last one on this thread, for example. I have no idea why!

Anyway, 10 more cases today, up to 90. 4 hospitalized. I get allergy issues this time of year - towards evening, I get a little sore throat and a bit sneezy, and of course it makes me a bit nervous.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X