Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: All the things COVID-19

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: All the things COVID-19

I don't even want to think about what it would be like if I were still in GA right now...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I don't even want to think about what it would be like if I were still in GA right now...
    How are they handling it in Germany?
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    How are they handling it in Germany?
    The whole country went on lockdown until the R value was less than 1, then they slowly lifted restrictions, one set of restrictions at a time. Everything is open now except bars and nightclubs, and maybe spas? I think are still closed...gyms and pools opened last week or the week before. The Army is lagging 2 weeks behind the German government of what its personnel are allowed to do...so I might be a bit off on the timing of when things were allowed to open We can't travel to some countries (the US is about to have a travel ban to the EU if its not gone into effect already). There are still no large events allowed. Restaurants and other places are limited on their seating. Everyone wears a mask in stores (its required) and lots of stores have hand washing or sanitizer stations.

There really weren't any problems with people getting tested if they were sick...in some places, you called a hotline and they came to your house and tested you at the door (which really, is the best option). It seems like the virus wasn't as bad here (people got better care, sooner, plus its a younger population than Italy, for example) and they have plenty of ICU beds. From what I understand, people have been given money to be able to pay their bills and such from the government and there are moratoriums on being able to evict people or on shutting off utilities, etc (though that is hard in Germany to do anyhow, from what I've heard), and there are relief programs for small businesses.

On base, all facilities require handwashing upon entry and physical distancing pretty much everywhere. Even though lockdown restrictions are lifted, we are still being allowed to work from home where possible and are limiting our work to things that can be done without personal contact...lots of email interviews rather than in-person inspections.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Hooah.

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Mississippi hit a record high of new cases on Thursday of 1100 and today we were at 1,000 Rankin county is at 450 cases. Gov. Tate Reeves said we were going down but not enough. No one is wearing masks here any more. Not going to lie my anxiety is trying to break threw and send me in a panic or a rage. I haven't decided which one yet. I pretty much hate everyone!!!

We unenrolled Monster from preschool this week. Mississippi has not announced how they are going to handle this school year, just that students will be back in school in one shape of another by August 7th. And I don't see them keeping a bunch of 3 year olds in masks all day, not allowed to play or share supplies.

We've also had quite a few restaurants either close down or go back to curbside only due to a rise in cases and employees testing positive. We have decided to stick with curbside only till August.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Iowa has been rising again too. Our governor said last week that schools shouldn't require masks. We're supposed to hear our districts plan by mid July. Each district is responsible for writing their own. I really want to homeschool Nova for a year. I don't trust then to have a plan that's actually mentally, physically, and emotionally good for the kids. They don't manage that under normal circumstances.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

My county is now at 43. We had 9 a month ago. Yesterday my neighbor (we're friends; she's very nice) wanted to come over. I was like, um no, I'll talk to you outside. She just doesn't get it....We talked over the fence and I stayed far back.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Jul 2014
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Iowa has been rising again too. Our governor said last week that schools shouldn't require masks. We're supposed to hear our districts plan by mid July. Each district is responsible for writing their own. I really want to homeschool Nova for a year. I don't trust then to have a plan that's actually mentally, physically, and emotionally good for the kids. They don't manage that under normal circumstances.
    All of our districts are in charge of their own plan as well, and we are suppose to hear the purposed plan on July 25th and they are to start back, however they decided to do it, by August 7th. Which is not giving parents any time to get the supplies and things needed. I am lucky I have one more year before I need to put him in school. Actually in Mississippi he doesn't have to start school till 1st grade, which I'm not going to wait that long before we starts learning. I will homeschool him first. Speaking of homeschool I have quite a few friends who are going to homeschool this year. I would love to know what you decide to do how and how you plan on doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    My county is now at 43. We had 9 a month ago. Yesterday my neighbor (we're friends; she's very nice) wanted to come over. I was like, um no, I'll talk to you outside. She just doesn't get it....We talked over the fence and I stayed far back.
    I wish they would get it! I really do.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Jul 2014
    Religion

Pearl, Mississippi just announced its 2020 school plans. Students are to start back August 7th, the school is providing masks however while in the classroom they don't have to wear them. I am so glad Monster is not old enough to start public schools.

P.S. the state legislature insisted or doing a in person session and as of today 26 legislative members have tested positive for Covid-19, including the Lt. Gov, Tate Reeves has urged anyone who has come in contact with a member or staff of the state legislature to get tested immediately.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

The high school here is planning their delayed Prom for the end of July. Supposedly the kids will wear masks. I'm friends with the woman who does tuxedo rental and she's going nuts because all the schools have scheduled, rescheduled, cancelled, etc. So far, school is still on track to begin 8/24. That's in 45-ish days. We'll see.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.