Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    So, I'm just going to point out here that you, a white woman, are telling a black man if he doesn't like the way people have treated his people for centuries, that if he doesn't like it, just to change it?

I understand your sentiment probably came from a good place, but I just want you to stop for a moment and check your privilege. If Bart could "just change it", don't you think thousands of other people would have done this already?

Racism is a systemic problem and he has every right to be angry about this. One person making a Facebook page isn't going to solve centuries-long systemic racism.
    Thank you vol. I really appreciated you defending me during this tragic time.

Comment

the change must come from a whole people,and a whole nation,the oppression must die and justice must be shown to not play favorites but to be applied to all,just as the potus is not exempt from the full weight of law for his deeds,and police MUST be held accountable for their acts,to the full measure of conviction
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        I remember seeing riots over racial issues literally outside our front door when I was a kid in the East New York section of Brooklyn in the late 60s. Half a century later, and here we are. Why haven't we learned anything?
        Yes, and at 10 years of age, living in Detroit, I watched Detroit burn in rioting. Detroit is just now beginning to recover.

I echo: why have we learned nothing?
        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 29 May 2020, 03:33.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          Excuse me but my opinion is very fair here and I have every right to express how I feel in the case. My race has to put up with racism since slavery times and nothing has changed. So don't tell me not to get upset with this.
          I'm not saying that you can't be upset. But I don't think it is fair to call the entire U.S. racist when we are not. And I'm sorry but your race is not the only race that has been slaves. I'm not going to argue with you if you can't at least look at things from another person's view and not get mad at someone for their opinion.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
            That's not a fair statement to make. I think that what was done is horrible and that there should be a punishment worse than firing for these officers, but we're not all racists.

- - - Updated - - -
            I would kind of like to revisit this statement about the USA being racist. It seems like this was taken personally, and that’s really not the point that I got from this statement.

I don’t want to interpret for Bartmanhomer, but I would definitely say that this is something that’s part of our culture. So that’s not a crazy statement in my view.
            Last edited by Yazichestvo; 29 May 2020, 04:09.
            If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I'm not saying that you can't be upset. But I don't think it is fair to call the entire U.S. racist when we are not. And I'm sorry but your race is not the only race that has been slaves. I'm not going to argue with you if you can't at least look at things from another person's view and not get mad at someone for their opinion.
              I think it's fair. The US is deeply rooted in racism and even though we, as a society, have made significant strides to making things better, this country is still very much racist. Many individuals aren't. But there are still plenty of laws that favor white people over anyone else. There is still a lot of prejudice toward non-whites. Even poor white people have a better chance of pulling themselves out of that situation than poor black people. BMH doesn't have to see things from your view. OUR view is what's being shoved down their throats and that's not how things get better. WE'RE the ones who have to see things from HIS perspective and WE're the ones who have to be the change. Also, fuck Facebook. That's not where change happens. Change happens out there in the world. Protesting. Interacting with people who are being oppressed. Rallying for them. Being their ally. Helping them wherever possible.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                I think it's fair. The US is deeply rooted in racism and even though we, as a society, have made significant strides to making things better, this country is still very much racist. Many individuals aren't. But there are still plenty of laws that favor white people over anyone else. There is still a lot of prejudice toward non-whites. Even poor white people have a better chance of pulling themselves out of that situation than poor black people. BMH doesn't have to see things from your view. OUR view is what's being shoved down their throats and that's not how things get better. WE'RE the ones who have to see things from HIS perspective and WE're the ones who have to be the change. Also, fuck Facebook. That's not where change happens. Change happens out there in the world. Protesting. Interacting with people who are being oppressed. Rallying for them. Being their ally. Helping them wherever possible.

Why does everyone think I'm trying to force my view on them? I'm not. I was just posting an opinion. And I was only trying to suggest positive ways to change things. You don't have to go through facebook, you can do something else, I was just trying to suggest a positive way. I won't say anything anymore because I know how much I have deeply affected everyone with my thoughts.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Why does everyone think I'm trying to force my view on them? I'm not. I was just posting an opinion. And I was only trying to suggest positive ways to change things. You don't have to go through facebook, you can do something else, I was just trying to suggest a positive way. I won't say anything anymore because I know how much I have deeply affected everyone with my thoughts.
                  Because you're looking at is as you and everyone else. This isn't about you. This is about white people being dicks to black people (and other minorities) as a society. And you, as a white person, are part of that society whether you like it or not. You want to make change? Use your white privilege and hold other people accountable for their shitty behaviour.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  Sneak Attack

Comment

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

You know, I can't get a break anywhere. People think that I don't know my history when I do. I know about how hard African Americans have had it. I know how hard their ancestors have had it. I feel very strongly that the men who did this should go to jail. However, it seems whenever I try to put a positive like suggesting creating a facebook group (just as an example), it's like I'm stupid. I know history and there are a lot of African Americans I admire along with a lot of people from other races. I grew up with having black friends. So I don't know why I am being dragged out like I am an evil person. So if you think I'm some stupid idiot, that's fine. I'm not and I'm not going to take anyone's opinion at face value anymore, because why fight when you really don't know me for me.
                    Anubisa

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                      Because you're looking at is as you and everyone else. This isn't about you. This is about white people being dicks to black people (and other minorities) as a society. And you, as a white person, are part of that society whether you like it or not. You want to make change? Use your white privilege and hold other people accountable for their shitty behaviour.
                      This is about me being white? WTF! Everyone needs to take action! Not just white people! And excuse me, but I wasn't fucking born into this world with 'white privilege.' I am a disabled 'white' bitch who has Cherokee blood and Hungarian blood flowing deep in her veins. So you back the fuck off and unless you know more about my family and the issues about myself, don't you ever accuse me of having 'white privilege' when that is not the fucking truth. I'm done on this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to take a break from this forum until all this negativity between white and black and racism can stop. I didn't know coming to forum, which was supposed to help you learn more about spirituality, would make feel so negative and cast such a negative cloud about yourself. Good luck everyone and I might see you again. I might not.
                      Anubisa

Comment

I've split the conversation away from the "Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)" since this has turned into a several-page long tangent. This way we can keep the conversation going without getting interrupted or being the interruption.

This is about me being white? WTF! Everyone needs to take action! Not just white people!
                        You are missing my point. This is NOT about you, yet you keep making it about you somehow. Yes, everyone should be part of the change, however White People are the biggest offenders when it comes to racism in the US. White people have been in charge of this country since the beginning. We're the ones making the laws which means we're the ones who should be striving to do better, now. Thankfully, more and more diversity is finally coming into the fold but there are still too many rich, white people in positions of power making calls that benefit them and their ilk, and that is basically like a big proverbial middle finger to people of color.

And excuse me, but I wasn't fucking born into this world with 'white privilege.' I am a disabled 'white' bitch who has Cherokee blood and Hungarian blood flowing deep in her veins. So you back the fuck off and unless you know more about my family and the issues about myself, don't you ever accuse me of having 'white privilege' when that is not the fucking truth. I'm done on this topic.
                        Clearly I have struck a nerve or two. Perhaps I've been too hasty in applying the term "white privilege" without some back-filling information, so let me take a step back and explain what I mean when I use those words. White Privilege does not mean racist. I'm not saying you're a racist. White Privilege implies that there are certain guarantees that white people (those that mark the 'Caucasian' checkbox on official documents and people that can easily pass as such) benefit from just for being white. When you walk into a bank, you don't generally get stares because of the color of your skin. When you go to the store to buy things like soap, shampoo, lotion, there's going to be a very good chance that you don't have to search long for a compatible product because of your skin color or your hair texture (barring exceptions like medical conditions, or injury related issues). When you get pulled over by a police officer, you will most likely not have to fear for your life of potentially getting shot when you ask questions instead of blindly complying immediately. Here's a pretty decent ted talk that covers this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlRxqC0Sze4

Niceties out of the way... I know what it's like to be poor. To not know when I will have my next meal, to go hungry during school lunches unless a friend was gracious enough to share theirs with me, uncertainty of whether the house payment can be made because the parents split and mom's trying to feed herself and three children that are too young to get jobs to help. However, my family is white and I firmly believe that this played a very big role in the opportunities that were presented to us that eventually helped us get on solid footing. And I personally know families of color that were in similar situations that did not have those opportunities and had to fight harder to get out of their situation. So don't YOU come at ME with that tone and victim complex. No, I don't have the same genetic makeup as you so I can't possibly fathom the hardships you're going through and the injustices you've experienced but I can guaran-fucking-tee you that that you've not experienced racism to the degree that many black people in this country are faced with day to day, and THAT is what this is all about!

I'm going to take a break from this forum until all this negativity between white and black and racism can stop. I didn't know coming to forum, which was supposed to help you learn more about spirituality, would make feel so negative and cast such a negative cloud about yourself. Good luck everyone and I might see you again. I might not.
                        1. It won't stop any time soon, so don't hold your breath.
                        2. It's ok for you to voice your opinion but the moment someone opposes it with their own, it's all negativity and rain clouds. Get over yourself.
                        Sneak Attack

Comment

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

You know, I can't get a break anywhere. People think that I don't know my history when I do. I know about how hard African Americans have had it. I know how hard their ancestors have had it. I feel very strongly that the men who did this should go to jail. However, it seems whenever I try to put a positive like suggesting creating a facebook group (just as an example), it's like I'm stupid. I know history and there are a lot of African Americans I admire along with a lot of people from other races. I grew up with having black friends. So I don't know why I am being dragged out like I am an evil person. So if you think I'm some stupid idiot, that's fine. I'm not and I'm not going to take anyone's opinion at face value anymore, because why fight when you really don't know me for me.
                          It's pretty passive aggressive to complain about a conversation on the forum, in another section of the forum.

Juni already responded to you, the the thread that I've moved this post to, in a civil matter. Nobody is accusing you of being racist. We are, however, accusing you for being ignorant (and if memory serves, it is not the first time, either).

Invoking Godwin's Law, I know how hard the Jewish community had it during WWII. That means, from a historical perspective, at an emotional distance, I know a group of people went through some shit, and I can empathize. That is NOT the same as knowing something because it is a multi-generational lived experience. So no, you don't know how hard the black community in the USA has had it. You have an idea, removed of experience.

We don't think you're evil, and we aren't dragging this out. In the regular world, this is called a discussion. You freaked out, and now you think it is personal. If you stop responding to these posts, we will stop replying to them, and the discussion ends. But if you take every post as a personal attack, then yes, I suppose we are dragging this out.

It's okay to be ignorant. I'm ignorant about a lot of stuff. Use this as an eye-opening experience, that even though you are a mixed blood, disabled female, if you pass as white, you have white privilege.

I have white privilege. It's not something that I can remove. The fact that I've been so poor I've starved, that I have severe depression, the fact that I spent my entire childhood being abused at home doesn't absolve me from the fact that I have white privilege. The fact that I have indigenous blood, but appear white also doesn't absolve me of white privilege.

We are simply trying to point something out to you, and you have been offended.

Mostly art.

Comment

Re: Riots in response to George Floyd's Murder

So my local government has pretty much done absolutely nothing to take care of its citizens IMO during the pandemic. From the very beginning they refused to call it a pandemic, they refused to order a stay at home, or social distancing, citing that they would only follow our Governor's moves. They would shut nothing down unless he decided it was for the best. While other Mayors in our state ordered their own stay-at-homes. They have encourage shopping and eating out as the state has opened back up, on their facebook page they have posted pictures of recognizing different employees for this award of the month or that none of which are practicing social distancing. Now you might ask why this is important or relevant to the riots and protests. It's been made known that there will be a protest tomorrow at the outlet mall in my city, and the city put a post on facebook stating they are aware of it, that they are committed to the safety of its residents, businesses and visitors and to also remember there is a pandemic going on!

Apparently I'm an idiot and full of white guilt, and know more then the government for pointing out that the city magically wants to care about a pandemic going on when there is going to be protest for George Flyod's Murder.
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I hope things stay calm overnight tonight. I'm in a state of disbelief about the whole photo op at the church/summon the military thing. We're so close to dictatorship now it's absurd. I mean, I understand the need to stop rioters, etc., but he just keeps pushing the envelope further each day.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I'm sure things would calm down if the officer who killed George Floyd was convicted, but there's apparently a video floating around of an officer doing the same hold in Seattle (at least another officer removed his knee in the viral video) so I'm sure it'll all happen again. We need to solve the problem, and that's not something I know how to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X