Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riots in response to George Floyd's Murder

this and it looks like it has hit the fan
    Prosecutors looking at the death of George Floyd on Thursday asked the people of Minneapolis for patience while they investigate the case that has riled the city and the nation.

George Floyd's death sparked heated protests across US as many call for charges against officers
    i think a fuse has been lit
    Last edited by anunitu; 28 May 2020, 04:06.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Prosecutors looking at the death of George Floyd on Thursday asked the people of Minneapolis for patience while they investigate the case that has riled the city and the nation.

George Floyd's death sparked heated protests across US as many call for charges against officers

I read about that. I think these officers shouldn't just get fired, they need to be charged with murder. However, the people are going around it the wrong way as well. Being violent isn't going to change anything. I just hope that there is no more of these types of violent outbursts. People can be hurt.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I think the protest are warranted but think the riots and vandalism of stores and property are bs to be honest. Yeah the guy died so lets go rob local stores and steal to show "our" disgust at the injustice of the system. That will get justice for his death.

Gets no justice, destroys local property and your economy, puts peoples livelyhood in danger and often shuts down depressed area's even more. Then leaves them reeling for months if not years as the businesses shut their doors or even move out due to the destruction of their property. Sorry seen that over and over and the by product still lingers in area's like Baltimore and District of Columbia (D.C.) and surrounding Northern Virginia.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        I think the protest are warranted but think the riots and vandalism of stores and property are bs to be honest. Yeah the guy died so lets go rob local stores and steal to show "our" disgust at the injustice of the system. That will get justice for his death.

Gets no justice, destroys local property and your economy, puts peoples livelyhood in danger and often shuts down depressed area's even more. Then leaves them reeling for months if not years as the businesses shut their doors or even move out due to the destruction of their property. Sorry seen that over and over and the by product still lingers in area's like Baltimore and District of Columbia (D.C.) and surrounding Northern Virginia.
        It is a terrible idea to take out your rage on local businesses. Focusing on these instances without having a sense of their proportion (within the broader outcry against police violence) is potentially counterproductive however. The primary focus should be on the initial injustice and it’s broader context.
        If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

If your grandparent's parents had been slaves, and your grandparents had lived through Jim Crow, and your parents had lived through "whites only," and you are now watching videos of police outright murdering people because their skin color matches yours while other people like you have to risk their lives as minimum wage " essential workers," you might find yourself experiencing a bit of an undercurrent of barely controlled rage, ready to break out at any moment.

Yeah. Rioting is bad, the wrong way to handle it, but I can certainly understand it.

To understand is not to forgive, but is is better than ignorance masquerading as moral outrage.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This is going to be like the Eric Garner Case all over again. I already how George Fyold Murder Trial will play out and the police officer will not go to jail and even if he found guilty he'll get the minimum sentence probably 3 to 6 months if not almost a year in prison.

Comment

as i saw on the news the protests started out peaceful then the cops used tear gas to disperse the crowd,and then the crowd turned nasty and began looting and rioting,the cops should not have reacted that much force that way.they used rubber bullets as well on the initial protests,so you know how to get a crowd riled up?

- - - Updated - - -

watching it live on cnn right now,and the anger has come to other cities across our country and it seems a fuse has been lit?

- - - Updated - - -

and crowds are hard to control

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I remember seeing riots over racial issues literally outside our front door when I was a kid in the East New York section of Brooklyn in the late 60s. Half a century later, and here we are. Why haven't we learned anything?
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

this seems to be spreading?

No justice, no peace': Protests, violence continue in Minneapolis, New York City, other US cities following George Floyd's death
                  Tyler J. Davis
                  Trevor Hughes
                  Grace Hauck
                  Jordan Culver
                  USA TODAY

MINNEAPOLIS — Protests and, in some cases, violence, continued Thursday in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd, a black man who died in police custody after a white officer pinned him to the ground under his knee.

Hundreds of protesters flooded Minneapolis streets Thursday evening for a march through downtown. Traffic was halted as a crowd of people stretched for up to four blocks. Protesters shouted “I can’t breathe” and “no justice, no peace; prosecute the police” as volunteer marshals in highlighter-colored vests directed traffic.

"The people of Minneapolis are not just protesting the public execution of George Floyd; they're fighting for their lives. Mr. Floyd's death — in addition to the recent deaths of Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor — is yet another reminder of American law enforcement's toxic tradition of abuse, negligence, violence, and discrimination toward black people," Scott Roberts, senior director of criminal justice campaigns at Color Of Change, said in a statement.

What we know:Federal authorities pledge 'robust' investigation into George Floyd's death; Minnesota National Guard activated

"The protests in Minneapolis are efforts by black and brown activists to rise up against centuries-old racism within the police department and prosecutors office and resist the white supremacy that has claimed far too many black lives."

The demonstration began after a round of speeches that started at 5 p.m. at the Hennepin County Government Center. Mel Reeves, a longtime activist in the city, encouraged the crowd to be peaceful.

He said officials use damaging or violent protests to distract from the true issue of police brutality.

“They wanna use us to keep us from getting justice ... they act like animals, then wanna make us look like animals,” Reeves told the crowd before directing them down South Third Avenue.

'They executed my brother':George Floyd's brother calls for arrests, peaceful demonstrations

Unrest in the area continued, too. Mayor Jacob Frey issued a declaration of a local emergency following "civil disturbance" in the wake of Floyd's death. Gov. Tim Walz tweeted a call to "rebuild."

"George Floyd’s death should lead to justice and systemic change, not more death and destruction," Walz said.

Just after 6 p.m., a crowd of at least 300 people gathered at the intersection of Lake Street and Minnehaha Avenue. As smoke from several burned-out buildings filled the air, protesters chanted and demanded justice.

“We can’t breathe,” they yelled. “We can’t breathe.”

About an hour earlier, a small group of police SUVs raced into the area and appeared to pluck out at least four people from the middle of a crowd, with officers firing what appeared to be tear gas and flash bangs to disperse a crowd of young men throwing rocks and bottles of soda and laundry detergent at their vehicles, along with eggs apparently looted from the nearby Target or Cub Foods stores.

While the core of the protest focused on police brutality and institutional racism, it also took on, at times, the air of a carnival, with young men and women riding bikes into the area to watch.

'Gentle giant':George Floyd remembered as family calls his death 'murder'

A young woman casually spray-painted “(expletive) the police” on a metal sign while across the street a man tried to tip over a port-a-potty.

Protests continued elsewhere, too. In some cases, so did the chaos.

Police in New York City clashed with protesters on Thursday night. NYPD Lt. John Grimpel told USA TODAY that there had been "numerous" arrests in Lower Manhattan. He said an officer was hit in the head with a garbage can, another was punched in the face and others had been spit on.

Meanwhile, Colorado state Rep. Leslie Herod said someone "shot into the rally" taking place at the State Capitol in Denver. A local reporter confirmed shots were fired, but the Denver Police Department said there were no reports of injuries.

Later Thursday night in Denver, a video on Twitter showed a person in a car allegedly trying to run over a protester.

"You can be angry. You can be outraged. I certainly am and I join you in those feelings and demands of #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd," Denver Mayor Michael Hancock said on Twitter. "March for justice and to see it served, but please march in peace. Responding to violence with violence will only lead to more violence."

Dozens of protesters — many wearing face masks — gathered in Chicago’s South Side Englewood neighborhood on Thursday afternoon. Videos shared to social media showed protesters holding signs that read “Black Lives Matter” and chanting “no justice no peace, no racist police.”

Opinion:Video of George Floyd pinned by Minneapolis cops is shocking but not surprising

There were two groups of protesters, and one person was arrested for disorderly conduct, the city’s superintendent, David Brown, said during an evening press conference. The demonstration “otherwise ended peacefully,” he said.

Reports of protests in Phoenix and Louisville, Kentucky, on Thursday night indicated large crowds of protesters and minimal violence.

Also Thursday, attorney Ben Crump, who is representing Floyd's family, said protesters "cannot sink to the level of our oppressors."

"Looting and violence distract from the strength of our collective voice," Crump said in a statement. "To assuage this death and begin the community’s healing, city and police leaders need to look at the culture they've created and ask the hard questions."

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about so much text from a copy paste

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about so much text from a copy paste

i was trying to just post the headline
                  Last edited by anunitu; 28 May 2020, 19:38.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    I remember seeing riots over racial issues literally outside our front door when I was a kid in the East New York section of Brooklyn in the late 60s. Half a century later, and here we are. Why haven't we learned anything?
                    Because the USA is racist, that's why.

Comment

yes bart it is
                      but we need to change this my friend
                      Last edited by anunitu; 28 May 2020, 19:55.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

yes bart it is
                        but we need to change this my friend
                        I agree but I doubt change will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          Because the USA is racist, that's why.
                          That's not a fair statement to make. I think that what was done is horrible and that there should be a punishment worse than firing for these officers, but we're not all racists.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          I agree but I doubt change will happen.
                          Stop being upset and make change happen. Create a facebook group or page to make this issue known. You can't change anything if you don't start something.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                            That's not a fair statement to make. I think that what was done is horrible and that there should be a punishment worse than firing for these officers, but we're not all racists.

- - - Updated - - -

Stop being upset and make change happen. Create a Facebook group or page to make this issue known. You can't change anything if you don't start anything.
                            Excuse me but my opinion is very fair here and I have every right to express how I feel in the case. My race has to put up with racism since slavery times and nothing has changed. So don't tell me not to get upset with this.
                            Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 28 May 2020, 20:23.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post

Stop being upset and make change happen. Create a facebook group or page to make this issue known. You can't change anything if you don't start something.
                              So, I'm just going to point out here that you, a white woman, are telling a black man if he doesn't like the way people have treated his people for centuries, that if he doesn't like it, just to change it?

I understand your sentiment probably came from a good place, but I just want you to stop for a moment and check your privilege. If Bart could "just change it", don't you think thousands of other people would have done this already?

Racism is a systemic problem and he has every right to be angry about this. One person making a facebook page isn't going to solve centuries-long systemic racism.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X