Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sagefire View Post
    I use the word 'arsenal' in distinct contrast to the word 'collection'. I take no issue with the collector, enthusiast, hunter or sport shooter. These things imply a level of responsible ownership and use. I take issue with the fool who has the loaded Glock on the front seat of his pickup pointed toward the passenger door, so at the stoplight if I am next to him, it is pointed right at me. This is the guy looking for absolutely any reason to sling lead downrange. This is the truck with all the gun right and f*ck this and that decals all over it. I question the overweight over 40 with the aluminum foil lined camo MAGA hat and tac-vest carrying enough weaponry and ammunition to arm a drug cartel, hanging out in the WalMart parking lot. I am concerned about the political tactic, at least in this part of the country, to use the second ammendment as a fear factor, "If you don't vote for whoever or whatever, or if you don't eat this shit sandwich, 'they' will come and take your guns." They who? Seriously, I recognize the importance of gun rights, but also gun laws, and the overwhelming majority of these jerks have to be told every day to not eat their own poop. They shouldn't even have a pointy stick.

Please, please tell me the bolded portion isn't something you've actually seen. I mean, yes glocks have built in protections against accidental discharge but that's still effectively baring one's ass before the Great God Murphy and daring him to do something about it.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Yes, all joking aside, there are people who ought not have guns.

Most gun owners are, weirdly, in favor of certain safety laws that the NRA is radically anti (such as a national background check).

The NRA is actually using psychological terrorism to prevent gun owners from accepting laws they actually want. That is unfortunate. I am old enough to remember when the NRA was all about gun safety and firearm sportsmanship.

Having been part of several gun oriented forums I've come to realize that the freak-os are hiding in the shooting community's basement. Sometimes people need to clean their own house. Shooting enthusiasts got housecleaning to do.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 25 Jun 2021 at 07:29.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Sep 2019
    Religion
    Harmony with the energies of Nature
    Phrase
    Everything is BS, you, me, everything. You just have to find a brand you can live with.

It is 100% fact. I have seen the pistol-on-the-seat situation many times because, "it aint a gun if it aint loaded, 'sides, it's muh right!, 'Merica!"
    These guys are essentially uneducated chickenshits who hide behind a firearm. They have no idea who the 'enemy' is. Here, guns are a fashion accessory. These are the folks you see in the video clips of 1/6. These are the participants who went home and bragged about it on social media. These are the Q An*n robots who spend their disability checks, "Cuz I got a bad back", on ammunition and lift kits for their trucks "Cuz to perteck muh kids frum the commies." The pandemic has seen a significant uptick in violent crimes across the board, and up here nearly every homocide has been a shooting. Again, I am NOT anti-gun, just anti-stupid. I don't want my wife, kids or grandkids getting shot by a road rager in a diesel Ram with a tr*mp flag who's not having a nice day.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I sense irritation in your voice...

There are crazy people everywhere, on all sides of the political spectrum, and on every issue.

Such is the honest state of human actions.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagefire View Post
    It is 100% fact. I have seen the pistol-on-the-seat situation many times because, "it aint a gun if it aint loaded, 'sides, it's muh right!, 'Merica!"
    These guys are essentially uneducated chickenshits who hide behind a firearm. They have no idea who the 'enemy' is. Here, guns are a fashion accessory. These are the folks you see in the video clips of 1/6. These are the participants who went home and bragged about it on social media. These are the Q An*n robots who spend their disability checks, "Cuz I got a bad back", on ammunition and lift kits for their trucks "Cuz to perteck muh kids frum the commies." The pandemic has seen a significant uptick in violent crimes across the board, and up here nearly every homocide has been a shooting. Again, I am NOT anti-gun, just anti-stupid. I don't want my wife, kids or grandkids getting shot by a road rager in a diesel Ram with a tr*mp flag who's not having a nice day.
    I mean, I can forgive the loaded part. Just secure the **** weapon so that it can't be sent flying by a hard stop and so the barrel isn't pointing in the direction of people. A loaded weapon doesn't have to be a dare made to the Great God Murphy. It just becomes one if its owner is lazy, stupid or both. The internal safeties on the weapon and luck should never be the only things preventing an accidental firing in the direction of another person.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

I personally know people who keep a gun not only on the car seat but ON THE DASHBOARD. We have no real regulations here. Needless to say, I don't go anywhere with them.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase

Temptation to use language that Juni might frown upon growing...
    ―Thon

Yoda

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Ok. A woman requested a reading from me. The reading was mixed but in the end, it was bad. Then the same woman told me 5 minutes ago that my reading sucks and she did her reading before my reading. If that was the case then why did you even ask me to do reading if you were going to do a reading for yourself? Such an infuriating move on her part.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

My state voted for expanded Medicaid, but the powers that be refuse to implement it. They're arguing because it would cover some birth control, including IUDs., which these people think cause abortions. (I guess they want to free Britney since she's being made to have one.) This isn't the first thing we voted on that's been twisted around, reworded, denied, etc. Every single thing that happens here boils down to guns or abortion.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    My state voted for expanded Medicaid, but the powers that be refuse to implement it. They're arguing because it would cover some birth control, including IUDs., which these people think cause abortions. (I guess they want to free Britney since she's being made to have one.) This isn't the first thing we voted on that's been twisted around, reworded, denied, etc. Every single thing that happens here boils down to guns or abortion.
    Is your state predominantly Catholic? If not, well

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...rigins-107133/

is a hilarious read.

There are also some fun ways to beat up Catholic theology on the matter but Catholic opposition to abortion is significantly older and possibly more sincere than the initial* interest of the Religious Right in the topic.

* I say initial because whatever the motives of a number of ****-ups in the 70s were, a number of people have since been raised surrounded by anti-abortion rhetoric and calling them all insincere because of choices made before they were born would at best be ill-considered.
    ―Thon

Yoda