Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
    The less fortunate deserve compassion, not anger. While it's reasonable to be stiff if you don't have anything, or are unable to part with it, it seems inappropriate to be upset over. There's no way to no what that person's life experiences are like. Putting aside that weird interactions are normal on public transit, not giving to people you don't know is rather unchristian.

This seems to be a concerning trend among your posts. Few would look kindly on scorning the poor, even if just to keep appearances. It is the rule of God to look with compassion upon one another, to understand your fellow human being, and go beyond one's immediate feelings. Even if you had perfect knowledge of all others and still decided, for whatever reason, that you would not actively help them, it is abominable to hate them. Just think of how much nicer this world could be if more people met with one another in compassion and understanding. We are all small, piteous creatures in a vast harsh world and it is only through cooperation that we make ourselves anything else.

Be assured, this is not just about this specific post. There is a chronic lack of empathy in you that should be addressed. Volunteer at a church, or a soup kitchen, or a shelter, or anywhere that brings you closer to those that are unlike you. Do not think yourself better than them, but seek to understand them, and maybe talk to a therapist, or a priest, or someone else with more patience than you have.
    I don't care if it is unchristianlike. I'm not going to buy his ring off the streets because I don't have any interest at all. It doesn't matter if the ring is real or fake. I'm not buying squat.
    Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    If someone has a gold ring they want to sell, they can go to a pawn shop, jewelry store, etc. themselves. It's fishy to approach a stranger with it.

One time when I was back home in NJ, a young man was going up to people on the boardwalk asking for change. I asked him what he wanted to buy. Turned out he had called an ambulance the night before for his wife and rode with her in it to the hospital. When she was discharged, they had no money and no one to call to get them home. The wife was huddled on a bench nearby. The story checked out. I got them a cab.

BUT, if some yoyo wanted me to sell his jewelry for him, I'd laugh in his face.
    Exactly. Like, don't these people have better things to do rather than sell jewelry from some random stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      I don't care if it is unchristianlike. I'm not going to buy his ring off the streets because I don't have any interest at all. It doesn't matter if the ring is real or fake. I'm not buying squat.
      You're missing the point. Corvus isn't calling you out for refusing to buy a ring. He's calling you out over a perceived lack of empathy. The ring is only relevant because your rant about it illustrates his point.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        You're missing the point. Corvus isn't calling you out for refusing to buy a ring. He's calling you out over a perceived lack of empathy. The ring is only relevant because your rant about it illustrates his point.
        I tried to be empathetic but I can't.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        I tried to be empathetic but I can't.

Comment

Empathy is a skill that can need training Bart, like any other skill might, it's also a pretty necessary one.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
            Empathy is a skill that can need training Bart, like any other skill might, it's also a pretty necessary one.
            I understand that but I just don't feel any empathy on why should I feel the need on buying a ring which I'm not interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
              I understand that but I just don't feel any empathy on why should I feel the need on buying a ring which I'm not interested in.
              No one is saying you should buy a ring from a stranger on the tram, that's shady af. I'm saying you shouldn't be angry at poor people, which seems to be a recurring thing. Hexing a homeless sex worker because you don't like them? Pretty shitty. Telling a four year old you hate their drawing? also pretty shitty. Even if you didn't buy the ring, even if you thought he was stinky, or any other situation where a stranger, someone you know nothing about, is trying to have an interaction with you, there's no reason to be a dick about it. Ask yourself why you have this reaction to neutral and relatively normal interactions with people. There's zero problem with not giving money to homeless people, it's perfectly permissible to not want to talk to strangers or give them money. It's a problem when you act like you've been wronged because there exist people you don't like.
              Circe

Comment

Maybe that was a magic ring, and now you'll never know what you turned down...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                  No one is saying you should buy a ring from a stranger on the tram, that's shady af. I'm saying you shouldn't be angry at poor people, which seems to be a recurring thing. Hexing a homeless sex worker because you don't like them? Pretty shitty. Telling a four-year-old you hate their drawing? also pretty shitty. Even if you didn't buy the ring, even if you thought he was stinky, or any other situation where a stranger, someone you know nothing about, is trying to have an interaction with you, there's no reason to be a dick about it. Ask yourself why you have this reaction to neutral and relatively normal interactions with people. There are zerproblemsss with not giving money to homeless people, it's perfectly permissible to not want to talk to strangers or give them money. It's a problem when you act like you've been wronged because there exist, people, you don't like.
                  First of all, a homeless sex worker isn't the reason why I dislike her. I don't care about that. The reason why I dislike her is that she a horrible person on the internet who has been harassing and bullied me for two years. Also, I have a right to dislike someone online and offline as well. I don't have like everybody you know.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Maybe that was a magic ring, and now you'll never know what you turned down...
                    Maybe it was my precious.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Maybe it was my precious.
                      No, MY precious!
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        No, MY precious!
                        Haha! That reminds me, the last time I went to see a LOTR movie in the theater, I wore my father's wedding ring (a fairly large gold band) on a chain around my neck and on the way out had several other moviegoers laughing.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Whenever a person gets killed usually by the police. People always want to start an argument about politics. Like seriously leave politics out of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm so sick and tired of how toxic society has devolved to since the last few years even though this year has improved since many people are getting vaccinated and social distancing but some people refused to get vaccinated, not wearing a face mask and believe that COVID is fake. I don't want to have any involvement with these types of people. If they want to get COVID and died from it, that's their demise.
                          Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 07 Jun 2021, 22:43.

Comment

Haha! That reminds me, the last time I went to see a LOTR movie in the theater, I wore my father's wedding ring (a fairly large gold band) on a chain around my neck and on the way out had several other moviegoers laughing.
                            Yeah...

Once this groddey dude offered me some "magic" beans.

Everybody thought I was an idiot for believing him, but it came out good for me in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah...

Once this groddey dude offered me some "magic" beans.

Everybody thought I was an idiot for believing him, but it came out good for me in the end.

Comment

I'm just here because PF sent me an automated Birthday message, and I'm sad to say I forgot this place was here, and I've missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                                I'm just here because PF sent me an automated Birthday message, and I'm sad to say I forgot this place was here, and I've missed it.
                                �� Hey there!
                                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                                Clan of my Clan
                                Kin of my Kin
                                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X