New Rant Thread X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

Half rant half public service announcement to parents. I work in a covid testing facility. when I started we only tested aged 12 and up. Things have changed, we can now test younger if they are accompanied by parents...
    PLEASE if you take them for testing. Pleeeaaaseee make sure they do not grab things around them. Also. And I cannot stress this enough. Stop them from grabbing, hitting and shoving the test personel. We know it's intimidating, we try to be gentle and encouraging. But we are not paid to be assaulted, even by children. That's the parents job to stop.
    Also... If the kid flat out refuses. Please don't do a 30 minute therapy session on the spot with a line of 200 very impatient people behind you. Take them out, come back later. I get that it's a teachable moment, but we do have a closing time and we'd like to finish on time.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

How does anyone make it through university? I wanted to take a biology course this summer, but it's $1600, and I do not have even close to that amount. I don't get loans over the summer, nor does my loan cover my tuition because that would make...sense?

I was going to use my RRSPs to pay for it, BUT it turns out I can't because I'm not considered a full time student in the summer.

Eff me for trying to get ahead in life.
      Last edited by volcaniclastic; 12 Apr 2021, 11:03.
      “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Ok, I criticized a four-year-old artist who sucks at drawing and many people saying that I'm being unfair with the kid. Like how am I being unfair here? If I see something that doesn't appeal to me then I'm going, to be honest, and expressed how I feel about it. The kid sucks at drawing!
        Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 16 Apr 2021, 23:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          Ok, I criticized a four-year-old artist who sucks at drawing and many people saying that I'm being unfair with the kid. Like how am I being unfair here? If I see something that doesn't appeal to me then I'm going, to be honest, and expressed how I feel about it. The kid sucks at drawing!
          Oh man, let's unpack this.

What you did is wrong, for the following reasons:
          - at age four, we are like little sponges. We haven't formed our own opinion about the world at this point, and are heavily influenced by outside people. This four year old drew a thing, and you told the four year old that it sucked.
          - that four year old takes this knowledge, and if it only happens once, maybe it's fine. But if OTHER people have also told that four year old that their art sucks, then that kid, not knowing any better, learns this as a truth. I suck at art. Adults say so.
          - this turns into a HURT. The kid internalizes that they are shit. It might be just about one thing, but then as their little brain grows, they learn to wonder: maybe I'm bad at other things. Maybe I'm a bad person. Maybe something is wrong with me.
          - they grow up into an adult like this.

It is not your god-given right to share your opinion with the world. You're welcome to have one, of course. But telling a four year old that they suck at something, when they are just barely old enough to hold a crayon, makes you, for lack of a better phrase, a f**king a**hole.
          “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            Oh man, let's unpack this.

What you did is wrong, for the following reasons:
            - at age four, we are like little sponges. We haven't formed our own opinion about the world at this point, and are heavily influenced by outside people. This four year old drew a thing, and you told the four year old that it sucked.
            - that four year old takes this knowledge, and if it only happens once, maybe it's fine. But if OTHER people have also told that four year old that their art sucks, then that kid, not knowing any better, learns this as a truth. I suck at art. Adults say so.
            - this turns into a HURT. The kid internalizes that they are shit. It might be just about one thing, but then as their little brain grows, they learn to wonder: maybe I'm bad at other things. Maybe I'm a bad person. Maybe something is wrong with me.
            - they grow up into an adult like this.

It is not your god-given right to share your opinion with the world. You're welcome to have one, of course. But telling a four year old that they suck at something, when they are just barely old enough to hold a crayon, makes you, for lack of a better phrase, a f**king a**hole.
            Yes I given this so much thought and I was wrong.

Comment

Yes I given this so much thought and I was wrong.
              But now you know, and you can take that into consideration in the future. Look at you learning!

Mostly art.

Comment

Ok, I just got invited to a Tarot Facebook called Healing And Evolving With Tarot And Astrology and they seem to be wonderful people. I did a reading in their group and they accepted it but when I post two reading of my past events they declined it. Ok, you don't do any past events cool. But when I post a tarot reading about the flood in my home, I got banned and the admin said that this group is not for you I hope you enjoy your tarot journey take care. Just what kind of Tarot Facebook Group is this crap anyway?! Never again!

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  How does anyone make it through university? I wanted to take a biology course this summer, but it's $1600, and I do not have even close to that amount. I don't get loans over the summer, nor does my loan cover my tuition because that would make...sense?

I was going to use my RRSPs to pay for it, BUT it turns out I can't because I'm not considered a full time student in the summer.

Eff me for trying to get ahead in life.
                  The price of education is absolutely ridiculous and its so difficult to actually get ahead. Not that I don't find education valuable, but there's no reason it needs to be this expensive, and plenty of incentive actually for it to be cheap.
                  “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                  Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                  -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                    The price of education is absolutely ridiculous and its so difficult to actually get ahead. Not that I don't find education valuable, but there's no reason it needs to be this expensive, and plenty of incentive actually for it to be cheap.
                    Seems like a simple math problem - the money a government invests in educating mass numbers of citizens is tiny in relation to the benefits those educated citizens return to the entire country.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a simple math problem - the money a government invests in educating mass numbers of citizens is tiny in relation to the benefits those educated citizens return to the entire country.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Short reason? Scholarships and loans. Education offers advantages worth spending money for, you increase the number of people who can pay faster than you increase the number of available schools and professors, prices will go up to match the demand. It'd be less of a problem if you replaced all student loans with scholarships of equivalent value because then students wouldn't be feeling the impact but the only organization remotely capable of considering that is the government and I would almost bet real money against the US gov passing a bill that expensive. The other option is to increase the number of worthwhile colleges and make sure that students are aware of them sufficiently that competition forcibly lowers pricing. Removing scholarships and loans completely just ends badly because while prices will drop, colleges will also cease to exist in large number and what's left will be less capable.

Yes, economics of anything with significant public interest is counterintuitive and annoying af
                      "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                      ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

There was this immature teen who was offended by my Gilded Reverie Lenormand Woman Card during by Free Lenormand Reading Livestrean card because she has naked breasts and he made a big deal about how I shuffle and counted. If you're so offended about nudity and you have an issue with how I operated in my Livestream then why are you even watching my Livestream then? I'm not censoring my cards.
                        Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 21 May 2021, 13:57.

Comment

Ok, a few days ago I made a post at another forum that I told everybody that I'm planning to write a Pokemon story featuring LGBT characters but many people didn't approve of my idea and they told me to avoid doing that because they think I was doing something offensive to the LGBT community. Their reasoning and response don't even make any sense. First of all, I happen to be a proud ally of the LGBT Community and I don't see what the problem here. The other forum doesn't approve of so many ideas all because that I have Autism. Like I'm just going to keep doing my thing and I'm not going to even listen to that forum because I've been on the internet long enough not to listen and take about people's advice and decide to do things my way.
                          Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 21 May 2021, 22:52.

Comment

So anyway yesterday I was going to the train station on my way home minding my own business until there was a man in the car ask me to get him some money in exchange for his golden ring. I told him "I don't have any money sorry." even though that I have money but I'm not going to give money to people that I don't know.

Comment

So anyway yesterday I was going to the train station on my way home minding my own business until there was a man in the car ask me to get him some money in exchange for his golden ring. I told him "I don't have any money sorry." even though that I have money but I'm not going to give money to people that I don't know.
                              The less fortunate deserve compassion, not anger. While it's reasonable to be stiff if you don't have anything, or are unable to part with it, it seems inappropriate to be upset over. There's no way to no what that person's life experiences are like. Putting aside that weird interactions are basically normal on public transit, not giving to people you don't know is rather unchristian.

Originally posted by 1 John 3:17 (NIV)
                              If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?
                              Originally posted by Matthew 25:40 (NIV)
                              And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
                              This seems to be a concerning trend among your posts. There are few who would look kindly on scorning the poor, even if just to keep appearances. It is the rule of God to look with compassion upon one another, to understand your fellow human being and go beyond one's own immediate feelings. Even if you had perfect knowledge of all others and still decided, for whatever reason, that you would not actively help them, it is abominable to hate them. Just think of how much nicer this world could be if more people met with one another in compassion and understanding. We are all small, piteous creatures in a vast harsh world and it is only through cooperation that we make ourselves anything else.

Be assured, this is not just about this specific post. There is a chronic lack of empathy in you that should be addressed. Volunteer at a church, or a soup kitchen, or a shelter, or anywhere that brings you closer to those that are unlike you. Do not think yourself better than them, but seek to understand them, and maybe talk to a therapist, or a priest, or someone else with more patience than you have.
                              “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                              Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                              -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

If someone has a gold ring they want to sell, they can go to a pawn shop, jewelry store, etc. themselves. It's fishy to approach a stranger with it.

One time when I was back home in NJ, a young man was going up to people on the boardwalk asking for change. I asked him what he wanted to buy. Turned out he had called an ambulance the night before for his wife, and rode with her in it to the hospital. When she was discharged, they had no money and no one to call to get them home. The wife was huddled on a bench nearby. The story checked out. I got them a cab.

BUT, if some yoyo wanted me to sell his jewelry for him, I'd laugh in his face.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X