Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 126 of 126

Thread: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

  1. #121
    Silver Member iris's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,243
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies
    Location
    Denmark

    Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

    Half rant half public service announcement to parents. I work in a covid testing facility. when I started we only tested aged 12 and up. Things have changed, we can now test younger if they are accompanied by parents...
    PLEASE if you take them for testing. Pleeeaaaseee make sure they do not grab things around them. Also. And I cannot stress this enough. Stop them from grabbing, hitting and shoving the test personel. We know it's intimidating, we try to be gentle and encouraging. But we are not paid to be assaulted, even by children. That's the parents job to stop.
    Also... If the kid flat out refuses. Please don't do a 30 minute therapy session on the spot with a line of 200 very impatient people behind you. Take them out, come back later. I get that it's a teachable moment, but we do have a closing time and we'd like to finish on time.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

  2. #122
    bibliophibian volcaniclastic's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,183
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Location
    Canada
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

    Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

    How does anyone make it through university? I wanted to take a biology course this summer, but it's $1600, and I do not have even close to that amount. I don't get loans over the summer, nor does my loan cover my tuition because that would make...sense?

    I was going to use my RRSPs to pay for it, BUT it turns out I can't because I'm not considered a full time student in the summer.

    Eff me for trying to get ahead in life.
    Last edited by volcaniclastic; 12 Apr 2021 at 11:03.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

    Mostly art.

  3. #123
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,544
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

    Ok, I criticized a four-year-old artist who sucks at drawing and many people saying that I'm being unfair with the kid. Like how am I being unfair here? If I see something that doesn't appeal to me then I'm going, to be honest, and expressed how I feel about it. The kid sucks at drawing!
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 16 Apr 2021 at 23:16.

  4. #124
    bibliophibian volcaniclastic's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,183
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Location
    Canada
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

    Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Ok, I criticized a four-year-old artist who sucks at drawing and many people saying that I'm being unfair with the kid. Like how am I being unfair here? If I see something that doesn't appeal to me then I'm going, to be honest, and expressed how I feel about it. The kid sucks at drawing!
    Oh man, let's unpack this.

    What you did is wrong, for the following reasons:
    - at age four, we are like little sponges. We haven't formed our own opinion about the world at this point, and are heavily influenced by outside people. This four year old drew a thing, and you told the four year old that it sucked.
    - that four year old takes this knowledge, and if it only happens once, maybe it's fine. But if OTHER people have also told that four year old that their art sucks, then that kid, not knowing any better, learns this as a truth. I suck at art. Adults say so.
    - this turns into a HURT. The kid internalizes that they are shit. It might be just about one thing, but then as their little brain grows, they learn to wonder: maybe I'm bad at other things. Maybe I'm a bad person. Maybe something is wrong with me.
    - they grow up into an adult like this.

    It is not your god-given right to share your opinion with the world. You're welcome to have one, of course. But telling a four year old that they suck at something, when they are just barely old enough to hold a crayon, makes you, for lack of a better phrase, a f**king a**hole.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

    Mostly art.

  5. #125
    Silver Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,544
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

    Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Oh man, let's unpack this.

    What you did is wrong, for the following reasons:
    - at age four, we are like little sponges. We haven't formed our own opinion about the world at this point, and are heavily influenced by outside people. This four year old drew a thing, and you told the four year old that it sucked.
    - that four year old takes this knowledge, and if it only happens once, maybe it's fine. But if OTHER people have also told that four year old that their art sucks, then that kid, not knowing any better, learns this as a truth. I suck at art. Adults say so.
    - this turns into a HURT. The kid internalizes that they are shit. It might be just about one thing, but then as their little brain grows, they learn to wonder: maybe I'm bad at other things. Maybe I'm a bad person. Maybe something is wrong with me.
    - they grow up into an adult like this.

    It is not your god-given right to share your opinion with the world. You're welcome to have one, of course. But telling a four year old that they suck at something, when they are just barely old enough to hold a crayon, makes you, for lack of a better phrase, a f**king a**hole.
    Yes I given this so much thought and I was wrong.

  6. #126
    bibliophibian volcaniclastic's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,183
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Location
    Canada
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

    Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes I given this so much thought and I was wrong.
    But now you know, and you can take that into consideration in the future. Look at you learning!
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

    Mostly art.

Similar Threads

  1. The Rant Thread (v 1.2)
    By Medusa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 2014
    Last Post: 03 May 2020, 18:19
  2. THE RANT THREAD!
    By thalassa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 7833
    Last Post: 05 Sep 2015, 12:16

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •