New Rant Thread X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v1.3)

I personally know people who keep a gun not only on the car seat but ON THE DASHBOARD. We have no real regulations here. Needless to say, I don't go anywhere with them.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Temptation to use language that Juni might frown upon growing...
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Ok. A woman requested a reading from me. The reading was mixed but in the end, it was bad. Then the same woman told me 5 minutes ago that my reading sucks and she did her reading before my reading. If that was the case then why did you even ask me to do reading if you were going to do a reading for yourself? Such an infuriating move on her part.

Comment

My state voted for expanded Medicaid, but the powers that be refuse to implement it. They're arguing because it would cover some birth control, including IUDs., which these people think cause abortions. (I guess they want to free Britney since she's being made to have one.) This isn't the first thing we voted on that's been twisted around, reworded, denied, etc. Every single thing that happens here boils down to guns or abortion.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
            My state voted for expanded Medicaid, but the powers that be refuse to implement it. They're arguing because it would cover some birth control, including IUDs., which these people think cause abortions. (I guess they want to free Britney since she's being made to have one.) This isn't the first thing we voted on that's been twisted around, reworded, denied, etc. Every single thing that happens here boils down to guns or abortion.
            Is your state predominantly Catholic? If not, well

is a hilarious read.

There are also some fun ways to beat up Catholic theology on the matter but Catholic opposition to abortion is significantly older and possibly more sincere than the initial* interest of the Religious Right in the topic.

* I say initial because whatever the motives of a number of ****-ups in the 70s were, a number of people have since been raised surrounded by anti-abortion rhetoric and calling them all insincere because of choices made before they were born would at best be ill-considered.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              Is your state predominantly Catholic?
              Nope. I've been living in Missouri for 12 years. Yes, THAT Missouri, the leader in new Covid cases and puppy mills. They're mostly Baptist in my area, with an incredible number of denominations. There are little churches all over the place. One proudly boasts that women are to remain silent during services. ANYWAY - I was raised in a Catholic home and was 16 when Roe v Wade passed. Back then, the Catholic church was really the only one outspoken against it. The mainstream Protestants didn't really get involved. Now, however, it's a whole 'nother ball game with these folks around here. The hypocrisy is deafening.
              sigpic

Comment

The other day, a 4 year old child in my town was "accidentally shot" and died. The facebook comments are all "Prayers for the family" - and it's infuriating me because my educated guess is that this happened at home. There was a loaded gun within reach of the poor kid somehow, which is basically murder, IMHO. Maybe I'm wrong, and we'll see when they release further details, but I'd bet the farm this is the family's responsibility as opposed to a break-in, drive-by, etc.

Today or tomorrow, some kid will be maimed by fireworks they shouldn't have, and that'll be all "prayers", too.

Yup. I'm a cranky old loner and glad of it!
                sigpic

Comment

Ok, an Olympic athlete got banned from competing in the Olympics because she was using marijuana. I think that's a stupid and outdated rule. It's not like she was using a harmful and illegal drug or anything like that. SMH.
                  Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 03 Jul 2021, 21:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                    Ok, an Olympic athlete got banned from competing in the Olympics because she was using marijuana. I think that's a stupid and outdated rule. It's not like she was using a harmful and illegal drug or anything like that. SMH.
                    the Olympics are an international event. It is in fact an illegal drug in most of the world.
                    You remind me of the babe
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                      the Olympics are an international event. It is in fact an illegal drug in most of the world.
                      How is it illegal? I don't get it.
                      Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 03 Jul 2021, 22:52.

Comment

How is it illegal? I don't get it.
                        BMH, have you actually looked at a map to see the legal status of marijuana laws worldwide?

Figure the Olympics have to abide by the laws of all nations not just specific ones. That doesn't even touch upon the idea of anything that might be seen as "Enhancing" a person's natural ability through a drug component.

I admit I feel sorry for Sah'Carri Richardson, but at the same time I don't. You train for that point, you don't screw it away by doing something you know would cause you to be dropped from the event.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                          Which is crazy, seeing as how it was the U.S. (now busy legalizing The Devil's Lettuce with roots in Hell) that "convinced" those other countries to make it illegal in the first place.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Which is crazy, seeing as how it was the U.S. (now busy legalizing The Devil's Lettuce with roots in Hell) that "convinced" those other countries to make it illegal in the first place.
                            Institutions take their sweet time changing things unless forced to move faster. Also, the US is (unless I've missed something at the federal level recently) doing no such thing. States are legalizing it. Until those states tell their reps in the US House and Senate to get off their *** and modify US code, marijuana is illegal. US Attorneys have other concerns so weed may seem legal because they can't be bothered to bring charges but the DoJ conveniently not seeing something and the US gov publicly saying, "That stuff is fine, we totally screwed up when we banned it," are two separate things. I am probably a broken record on this point by now but it bears repeating that until such time as marijuana possession does not put you one bored US Attorney away from a criminal conviction, marijuana is still illegal under US law.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                              BMH, have you actually looked at a map to see the legal status of marijuana laws worldwide?

Figure the Olympics have to abide by the laws of all nations not just specific ones. That doesn't even touch upon the idea of anything that might be seen as "Enhancing" a person's natural ability through a drug component.

I admit I feel sorry for Sah'Carri Richardson, but at the same time I don't. You train for that point, you don't screw it away by doing something you know would cause you to be dropped from the event.
                              Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              Institutions take their sweet time changing things unless forced to move faster. Also, the US is (unless I've missed something at the federal level recently) doing no such thing. States are legalizing it. Until those states tell their reps in the US House and Senate to get off their *** and modify US code, marijuana is illegal. US Attorneys have other concerns so weed may seem legal because they can't be bothered to bring charges but the DoJ conveniently not seeing something and the US gov publicly saying, "That stuff is fine, we totally screwed up when we banned it," are two separate things. I am probably a broken record on this point by now but it bears repeating that until such time as marijuana possession does not put you one bored US Attorney away from a criminal conviction, marijuana is still illegal under US law.
                              If marijuana is illegal then explain to me why people who use marijuana don't die from it.

Comment

If marijuana is illegal then explain to me why people who use marijuana don't die from it.
                                Jaywalking is also illegal. It's generally not fatal. Tax fraud is a felony and also generally not fatal. Not all laws are designed to answer immediately deadly behavior.

Comment

Working...
                                X