Shampoo Sham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shampoo Sham

I think shampoo is a scam. Ive had a few times where I've stopped using it in the past but I think I'm finally off it for good now. Why? Isn't your hair going to get all gross? Well, maybe, certainly for a bit after you stop, but not using shampoo doesn't mean you're not cleaning your hair. It just means not using shampoo to clean your hair. A growing number of people have been swapping to other options, like shampoo bars, home mixes, natural alternatives, or just plain skipping it.

So I stopped using shampoo around two months ago now, and it's not my first time. Usually I rinse with just water and once or twice a week I'll condition. Whenever I used shampoo my hair would pouff out and get super dry, so I'd condition extra to compensate which just made me need to buy more. I always hated it and when I asked people for advice everyone just told me to use styling products or extra oils which never felt like a great solution for me.

Well since shampoo was what caused that thing I hate, I just stopped using it. There was an adjustment period as the natural oils evened themselves out, around two weeks. Now my hair never gets pouffy, has a really consistant texture, and rarely feels heavy or super light anymore. I've also noticed it just looks way healthier.

This leads me to wonder what the point of using shampoo even is? Especially, as I've discovered, since conditioner also has cleaning properties without being so harsh. So what are your thoughts? Have you joined the no-poo converts or are you holding strong? Is this something you've considered?
    Circe

Re: Shampoo Sham

In my culture, hairwashing is a daily ritual, intended to purify oneself prior to entering the public.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It all depends on what kind of hair and skin you have. My hair is fine and straight. Now that I'm older I can skip a day but for most of my life, after 24 hours, if I combed it you could see the comb marks near the scalp, since I have oily skin. My glasses still slide down my nose a couple hours after washing my face! (When I was a teen, it was within a half hour). Lots of people can go several days without shampooing because their hair is thick enough to absorb what little oil they secrete.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

So KP has this curly hair and only has to shampoo his hair once a week, and most of the time he only washes it because it starts to smell bad. Dirty hair for him makes it more manageable. For myself I have fine, straight hair so I wash it every other day because by day two I look like a grease ball. I cannot look like that and work in a restaurant, "good hygiene" is required.

Now I have used different products to help with my oily hair instead of shampoo, like vinegar, but it isn't really sustaining for me. It does pull the oil off my hair but after while it pulls to much. I've looked into shampoo bars and would really like to try them but I struggle with spending money on a product I don't know will work for me, and their are a lot of brands and types out there. I would however like to find something that is sustainable and maybe something I can eventually make myself.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I have long, thick hair so it doesn't go greasy fast. When I use shampoo my hair gets poofy and dry. It really feels unhealthy. My hair looks best 2 days after I washed it. I usually wash it once or twice a week.
          I'd like to try not washing it with shampoo though. Just to see what it does for my hair. I think it will look and feel better. We're still in semi-quarantine anyway, so people won't have to see me with greasy hair :P
          Yesterday was the last time I washed with shampoo. Next time I'll just try plain water and even out the natural oils.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
            I have long, thick hair so it doesn't go greasy fast. When I use shampoo my hair gets poofy and dry. It really feels unhealthy. My hair looks best 2 days after I washed it. I usually wash it once or twice a week.
            I'd like to try not washing it with shampoo though. Just to see what it does for my hair. I think it will look and feel better. We're still in semi-quarantine anyway, so people won't have to see me with greasy hair :P
            Yesterday was the last time I washed with shampoo. Next time I'll just try plain water and even out the natural oils.
            that was kinda my thinking too. Like my hair was gross for a bit, but it seems way healthier now than before. I would say that conditioner seems to help me when I feel like I really need to get clean. I assume it works like the oil on oil way to clean, but I never end up with gross feeling hair like with shampoo.
            Circe

Comment

So I just washed my hair without shampoo for the first time ever. I only massaged my scalp and tried to divide the natural oils through the length of my hair with water. After showering I only applied some oil to protect my hair while drying it with the hair dryer (because air drying my hair takes forever).

It feels... different now. My hair looks clean, it doesn't feel greasy, just a bit... like it was washed with water only XD I can't describe it. I think I'll keep doing this for a while. I kinda like it.

Comment

I gave up on hair and started just shaving it all off several years ago - I do it myself and I have saved THOUSANDS of dollar by not going to the barber... BUT I do have a LARGE beard and it requires washing everyday - I don't use shampoo I use body wash smells like cedar and vanilla - it is very masculine smelling - I love it....

Comment

Working...
                X