X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groundhog Day

Happy Groundhog Day everyone.

Re: Groundhog Day

I didn't pay attention... did he see his shadow or no?
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      I didn't pay attention... did he see his shadow or no?
      Yes, 6 more weeks of winter. Someone needs to smack that little rat upside the head!
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        Yes, 6 more weeks of winter. Someone needs to smack that little rat upside the head!
        I don't understand how a rodent can predict the season by its shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          I don't understand how a rodent can predict the season by its shadow.
          Ah...

You know rodents. Their teeth twitch in cold weather.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Ah...

You know rodents. Their teeth twitch in cold weather.
            That still doesn't explain how a groundhog predicts a season with its shadow.

Comment

same way daylight savings can make a rug longer by cutting a piece off the end and sewing it on the other end thus making the rug longer simple no?
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The shadow thing is a myth.

To predict the weather, you have to look closely at the teeth, and count the chatters-per-second. This worked fine until the late 1950s with the invention of television. When the teeth-chatter count was filmed for television, the producers were afraid it would frighten children.

They decided to do the chatter-count privately and, on film, pretend it was all about shadow-seeing.

Now, nobody remembers the real history of this tradition.

- - - Updated - - -

To predict the weather, you have to look closely at the teeth, and count the chatters-per-second. This worked fine until the late 1950s with the invention of television. When the teeth-chatter count was filmed for television, the producers were afraid it would frighten children.

They decided to do the chatter-count privately and, on film, pretend it was all about shadow-seeing.

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Now that is something I didn't know. Personally I like the Jack Frost story line better though he he he
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

We live in the post reality age.

Anything you can say with a straight face is true for the rabble.

Comment

Um, Feb 2 is approximately 6 weeks after winter solstice and 6 weeks before the vernal equinox, ergo, shadow or not, there's still 6 weeks til spring.

I eat sausage on Ground Hog day, myself...
                      Last edited by Rick; 04 Feb 2021, 18:45.
                      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Is it bad that I didn't even know about any of this until I saw the film Groundhog Day with Bill Murray?
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                          Is it bad that I didn't even know about any of this until I saw the film Groundhog Day with Bill Murray?
                          Nah.. No.

GHD isn't a bling holiday.

You buy nobody nothing, nobody buys you nothing, nobody decorates their front yard with a tableau of wise men going to visit the ground hog with gifts of frankincense and myrrh, and the childers sleep easily at night with dreams of standard cartoony adventures involving psychotic cats and stoopid dogs.

All the ground hog has is Bill Murray.

No shame in that...
                          Last edited by B. de Corbin; 06 Feb 2021, 19:30.

Comment

i always knew about it because it is my sisters birthday
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Nah.. No.

GHD isn't a bling holiday.

You buy nobody nothing, nobody buys you nothing, nobody decorates their front yard with a tableau of wise men going to visit the ground hog with gifts of frankincense and myrrh, and the childers sleep easily at night with dreams of standard cartoony adventures involving psychotic cats and stoopid dogs.

All the ground hog has is Bill Murray.

No shame in that...
                              Well the Ground Hog has a small role in the Jack Frost cartoon. He sort of narrates the cartoon for a bit then old man winter says the ground hog tells him when his time is up.

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X